Panzer IV Ausf. E (1:35 Dragon)

Mike

Oh bugger! I was at a loose end as to what to build after I finished the Seafang, and needed something to distract me while I ponder & build the new masters I'm working on, so I picked up this little gem of a kit that I'd bought from from Paul @ ABC Models last week, as I needed to build something that I could just put together without worrying too much about minute accuracy, because I know NOTHING about the subject :fool:

It's their 3 in 1 kit, and I've elected to build the DAK version, as I fancy a nice Afrika Korps vehicle, with all the opportunities to weather it into a beaten up example (it's still only my 3rd armour kit, so plenty to learn). I started construction a few days ago, and have finally got something resembling a tank to show, as the early stages of the build involves completing of assemblies such as the suspension ( :sleep_1: ), wheels ( :sleep_1: :sleep_1:) and so forth, so doesn't make for exciting posts!

The only things I've had to fiddle with so far were some prominent ejector pin marks on the main suspension arms, and some sink marks on the outside of the little roller pivots that attach the 2nd wheel of each pair. I've built the suspension up so that it is flexible for the moment, and will "freeze" it in the correct place once the tracks are on later.

This is the later model of the E, so has an up-armour package installed to cope with the improvements that the Allies were clearly making in the destructive power of their projectiles. These plates are simply scabbed on to the outside of the hull, and give it quite a Heath-Robinson look that I liked. Anyway... A couple of pics are in order:

hull1.jpg

hull2.jpg

...and for comparison with something modern, here it is alongside my M1 Abrams, which I completed recently:

comparo.jpg

Next job is to build up the pioneer tools etc., which gives me the option of simple moulded styrene parts, or a more complex (and realistic) mix of styrene and PE parts. Lots of fun with tweezers & flying parts! :frantic:

More later :)

At a loose end? He's well and truly converted to the "Dark Side" now, there's no turning back.

Pete - if you'd seen my stash lately, you'd realise just how converted I am. If you think I'm going to stop building aircraft though - you're 'avin' a larff! :lol:

Pete - if you'd seen my stash lately, you'd realise just how converted I am. If you think I'm going to stop building aircraft though - you're 'avin' a larff! :lol:

You are converted Mike, admit it, you can't fight it, it takes over your entire life.

Any pics?

I'd like to verify your addiction's level.

:devil:

If you need some ideas for your T-55, just look at my siggie!

I've got the Accurate Armour ENIGMA conversion kit to make it into an Iraqi T-55... something for my Abrams to chew on ;)

It's a bit blurry, as I was handholding the camera in low light, but you get the jist ;)

armour.jpg

See I told you, just 2 wingy thingies and the rest is armour, Mike you are a true warrior of the "Dark Side", I should think even Daz is envious of that stash.

I wonder who's fault it is? :innocent:

I wonder <_<

See I told you, just 2 wingy thingies and the rest is armour, Mike you are a true warrior of the "Dark Side", I should think even Daz is envious of that stash.

Oh, there's 100+ aircraft & maybe 5 boatie things too :)

maybe 5 boatie things too :)

Oh dear, oh dear, splashy watery thingies as well, there really is no hope for the poor chap, ah well, perhaps with some serious councelling we can get him back on track. :whip::fight:

Oh dear, oh dear, splashy watery thingies as well, there really is no hope for the poor chap, ah well, perhaps with some serious councelling we can get him back on track. :whip::fight:

Hah! Track... you made a pun! :doh: They're mostly torpedo boats. A British MTB, Yankee PT Boat (Elco 109, I think?) and a German S-100. Then there's the Fearless, and I might also be tempted by an Airfix Ark Royal at some point. And maybe a 70s Ark whenever that comes out too :)

Fearless?

Didn't know there was a kit available.

Airfix, maybe? and at an $%*µ§ scale I suppose?

1:600, sadly... and a very old mould at that. The plan is to install some WEM PE, but it got shelved while I've been busy tanking & mastering :rolleyes:

1:600, sadly... and a very old mould at that. The plan is to install some WEM PE, but it got shelved while I've been busy tanking & mastering :rolleyes:

You'll need a magnifying glass for that scale Mike. :hypnotised:

Nice to see another one of your armour builds here Mike. I've got a partially finished Panzer IV E Vorpanzer (with upgraded armour) in the stash that your build may inspire me to drag out of the parade of shame and finish.

Hi Mike, welcome to the dark side :evil_laugh: Dragons Mk IV is the one that got me back to armour, be careful with the turret location boss though (I'd leave it off the next time) as its a deadlock with the turret floor turned mine twice &been left with the turret in my mits & the floor/cradle in the hull & the crew ladder is a bugger to fold as well (me :hypnotised:) great to have separate tyres in it & the track formers help alot as well strange that neither are in the later variants. this is mine built 18 months ago..........

100_0199_2.jpg

100_0198_2.jpg

used Xtracolour enamel Afrika korps Tan & sponged XF-64 for the peeled paint effect, but Revell no 17 is a dead match for RAL 8070 bruin this site is a good one for all things DaK.....

http://afrikakorps.org/

good comparison between the IV & M1, looking forward to watching yours progress after the great job you did on the M1

Andy.

Nice to see another one of your armour builds here Mike. I've got a partially finished Panzer IV E Vorpanzer (with upgraded armour) in the stash that your build may inspire me to drag out of the parade of shame and finish.

Do it Trent :wicked:

Nice 4 Andy... and thanks for the link. I'll have a proper gander after me tea :eat:

• 1 month later...

After a bit of an apparent hiatus on this one - it's been bumbling along in the background, but building up assemblies like all the pioneer tools from styrene and PE parts is somewhat time consuming. I now know what Andy was on about when he said the crew ladder was a pain. Mine was too! :hypnotised: I managed to get it done, and it now sits on a busy tray of parts waiting to be added later.

hull3.jpg

hull4.jpg

hull5.jpg

The turret has been left in three separate assemblies to facilitate painting, which is at the stage of basic interior cream, after which I applied a basic Mig neutral wash, and a bit of dry brushing to bring out the detail.

hull6.jpg

The next step is to paint the details such as the crew seats, the MG34 co-axial machine gun, and the spent round bag that hangs under the breech. If anyone can shed some light on what color I shoudl be using for those, I'd be grateful. Also, the color of the main gunsight would be handy :)TIA