Marineflieger Tornado

Filler

Hi,

For my first aftermarket enhanced build I’ll be doing Italeri’s 1:48 Tornado IDS. I’ve got all the resin bits and what not. (They don’t half make a cheap kit far from cheap – but worth it I’m sure!)

Something I haven’t done yet is to source some aftermarket decals. I was originally going to go with the Italian Black Cat markings from the box but after some thought I decided they’d look a bit silly on the model – possibly resulting in a toy like appearance.

So having decided that there is only one true scheme for a Tornado - that being of the mid 80’s MFG design – I’ve so far drawn a complete blank on decals. Does anybody have any suggestions as to where to look or how to cheat? (Possibly using some of the decals from the other Italeri boxing that features a German Navy Tornado in anniversary markings?)

Also, any opinions on the colours would be appreciated as I’m hardly renowned for my colour recognition skills. (I’ll be likely using Tamiya & Gunze acrylics).

I do hope I can do this scheme as it was a familiar sight at the British Aerospace Woodford air shows in the 80’s. I really miss the Woodford air show. :weep:

Oh and one other thing; please feel free to shatter my dreams by telling me that this kit can’t represent a mid 80’s Marineflieger Tornado.

oops, a picture might help!

IDS-MFG.jpg

Edited by Filler

The colours for this scheme were uppersurfaces in RAL 7012 Basaltgrau (Basalt Grey) with the undersurfaces in a off-white RAL 7035 Lichtgrau (Light Grey). The suggested Humbrol paints for this were 79 and 196 respectively.

Hi!

HaHen's decals are really sharp! Good motifs, fine detail. But they are "Alps"-printed on a continuous carrier film, so you have to excercise a bit before using the decals you really want to use. At first you should cover the whole seet with a sprayed layer of future or a similar liquid decal film to protect the colours agains bleeding. Otherwies you should be able to get fine results.

HTH

Jan

rod mcq, thanks for the colour info. Although described as off-white, those Humbrol paints look a bit grey to me. I’ve had a shufty at that cross reference database and in Tamiya and Gunze it seems to be suggesting light grey paints too. I’ve even found an instruction sheet from an old Hasegawa 1:72 kit for the Marineflieger Tornado and although the scan isn’t very high res, I’m sure it’s calling up H008 Silver for the underside. But in every picture I’ve seen I’d have to say that the underside is just plain white. Does anyone agree that it looks white or am I really colour blind?

Jan, (or anybody really) excuse my ignorance but what is Alps printed? Am I right in understanding that all the decals are as one on the sheet? So this requires more accurate cutting out? And I am to just cover the whole sheet in Microscale Micro Liquid Decal Film (I have a bottle of that) before doing any cutting out? Then I use them as normal?

rod mcq, thanks for the colour info. Although described as off-white, those Humbrol paints look a bit grey to me. I’ve had a shufty at that cross reference database and in Tamiya and Gunze it seems to be suggesting light grey paints too. I’ve even found an instruction sheet from an old Hasegawa 1:72 kit for the Marineflieger Tornado and although the scan isn’t very high res, I’m sure it’s calling up H008 Silver for the underside. But in every picture I’ve seen I’d have to say that the underside is just plain white. Does anyone agree that it looks white or am I really colour blind?

First of all, with regard to the Hasegawa instructions, Basalt grey with Aluminium/Silver undersurfaces was the colour scheme use by Marineflieger F-104s but for Tornados in the Norm 76 camouflage pattern, the undersurface colour was changed to the Light Grey RAL 7035.

This Lichtgrau really is a very, very, very pale grey which is why I described it as an off-white and most people think it is white on the aircraft and it does look white.

First of all, with regard to the Hasegawa instructions, Basalt grey with Aluminium/Silver undersurfaces was the colour scheme use by Marineflieger F-104s but for Tornados in the Norm 76 camouflage pattern, the undersurface colour was changed to the Light Grey RAL 7035.

This Lichtgrau really is a very, very, very pale grey which is why I described it as an off-white and most people think it is white on the aircraft and it does look white.

I see. So I think I'll go with white with just a drop of a light grey to achive the 'off-ness'. Thanks again for your help.

• 2 weeks later...
[...]

Jan, (or anybody really) excuse my ignorance but what is Alps printed? Am I right in understanding that all the decals are as one on the sheet? So this requires more accurate cutting out? And I am to just cover the whole sheet in Microscale Micro Liquid Decal Film (I have a bottle of that) before doing any cutting out? Then I use them as normal?

Hi,

sorry, I didn't follow this thread during the week.

Alps was a brand of computer printers (OOP, AFAIK), these used several transfer-ribbons (anybody remember the classic typing machine?) with different colours. Among these colours was solid white, thus it was possible to print a white undercoat that enhanced the brilliance of the other colours, which were printed on top in a second printig run. Metallic colours were also an option. I don't know if the printers and colour ribbons are still available, but there are other brands of wax transfer printers.

Yes, the decals are on one continuous sheet of clear carrier film. Each decal must be cut out separately. To protect the delicate colours (e. g. against water), the whole sheet should be covered with a thin layer of Micro Liquid Decal Film (or Future). After thorough drying you cut and apply the decals as usual, you can even use a decal softener. BUT: You should try each step with some decals that you don't intend to use on your model. General consent seems to be that HaHen's decals are good to use, so you should not run into real problems.

HTH

Jan