I.D. Models C-133 Cargomaster

A bit of progress today on the interior, which was sprayed Halfords "reed green". I scratch built the cockpit access ladder using plastic card and steel wire, and added the sidewall bench that runs the length of the cargo compartment, again using plasticard.

:giles:

Darius

C133_49.jpg

C133_50.jpg

C133_51.jpg

C133_52.jpg

Having owned this kit and having seen Doug Feeney actually making his masters this is a real tribute to a model maker to which we owe a lot. Doug is a real modeller, a true enthusiast and a friend. I lost touch with him when he moved down south and would love to get back in touch with him (if only cos I've a load of his C5 Galaxy Photos). I have memories of many a happy evening sat in his model room talking man-vegetables and watching him whittle something awesome from some scraps of off cuts!

Darius you've left me lost for real words. Carry on my friend finish the beast so we can all marvel.

THC

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Well, I have probably left things a tad too late for a December 2009 completion but I thought I should give it a try and built the starboard wing this afternoon.

Half an hour of sanding...

C133_53.jpg

followed by some panel line scribing...

C133_55.jpg

I used the ends of the vac-formed wing halves as templates to make plastic card ribs to stiffen the wing...

C133_56.jpg

C133_57.jpg

And created a "slot" in the wing for a box section spar that is yet to be built - the idea is that the wings will be removeable to make the completed model easier to store.

C133_58.jpg

Wing halves glued together and taped up for an overnight "cure".

C133_59.jpg

Only 18 days to go...

Darius

Two days off with an annoying cold and then back to the bench. Finished the port wing - thank goodness that sanding is over!!! Assembled the starboard engine nacelles, using some of the vac off-cuts to form mounting attachments to the wing undersurface - seems to work OK although plenty of filling and sanding awaits.

C133_60.jpg

C133_61.jpg

C133_62.jpg

C133_63.jpg

C133_64.jpg

Darius

Having owned this kit and having seen Doug Feeney actually making his masters this is a real tribute to a model maker to which we owe a lot. Doug is a real modeller, a true enthusiast and a friend. I lost touch with him when he moved down south and would love to get back in touch with him (if only cos I've a load of his C5 Galaxy Photos). I have memories of many a happy evening sat in his model room talking man-vegetables and watching him whittle something awesome from some scraps of off cuts!

Darius you've left me lost for real words. Carry on my friend finish the beast so we can all marvel.

THC

I'm marvelling now. This is going to be special.

Joseph

Port engine nacelles assembled. Engine exhaust openings drilled out and cut up spares box drop tanks used as the exhuast ducts. Nacelles fixed to port wing, joints filled and sanded.

Darius

C133_72.jpg

C133_73.jpg

C133_74.jpg

C133_75.jpg

Buit one of the main undercarriage units today. Loosely based on the real thing but with the gear legs mounted on a pivoting beam to ensure that all wheels will be in contact with the ground when the model is placed on a flat(ish) surface. The resin wheels came with the kit. I used offcut plastic from the vac-formed kit sheets to build the beam etc.

Darius

C133_77.jpg

C133_76.jpg

C133_78.jpg

C133_79.jpg

C133_80.jpg

C133_81.jpg

To get a feel for the overall size of the model I posed the main wing against the starboard fuselage half with a 1:48 F101-C in the foreground for comparison:-

C133_82.jpg

C133_83.jpg

C133_84.jpg

Will have to figure out where to put this when it is finished!!!

Darius

Edited by Darius at Home

Started work on the port fuselage halves today, connecting the front and central portions and opening up the forward cargo door. I added the interior ribbing using plasticard strips as described earlier in this thread.

Darius

C133_85.jpg

C133_86.jpg

C133_87.jpg

C133_88.jpg

C133_89.jpg

C133_90.jpg

C133_91.jpg

C133_92.jpg

Edited by Darius at Home

A magnificent model of the C-133. Thanks for the reference to my book, Remembering an Unsung Giant. I deliberately included lots of material that would be useful to model builders. I have five 1:72 vacuform kits from Gene Hooker to build, plus two Welsh Model 1:144 kits. A lifetime of work if I try to approach Darius' standard.

In England, the book is available from Air Britain, Midland Counties or the Aviation Book Centre.

Cal Taylor

Darius

I like very much what I see, your attention to detail and skill are amazing.

I want to follow this thru to the finished model.

Would like to build one myself have the time, but not the skill set you have shown here.

I once was a ground crew member on a C-133A Model at DAFB.

and this has revived memories.

Keep up the fine work I for one will be watching for the completed model.

Robert Houston