I.D. Models C-133 Cargomaster

Been working on the "cargo" over the past two days... Mach 2 1:48 Thor Missile - what a dog of a kit - and a scratch built trailer mated to a Kenworth tractor from an old Revell "Honest John" missile transporter kit.

:giles:

Darius

C133_122.jpg

C133_123.jpg

C133_124.jpg

C133_125.jpg

C133_126.jpg

C133_127.jpg

Excellent work.

Thor was not 'in flight' transported with its trailer, it had two seperate wheeled dollys positioned at the rear and the business end of the weapon.

If you have a look half way down this page, the arrangement is clearly shown.

http://www.harringtonmuseum.org.uk/ThorUK.htm

Despite the image showing an offload from a Globemaster, it was the same arrangement for Cargomaster.

Further reference can be seen in John Boyes mighty tome on RAF's Thor programme: "Project Emily", page 65 shows very clearly an IRBM complete with the dollys being loaded [again] onto a Globemaster.

Jim Wilson's equally excellent 'launch Pad UK" [page 88] has an image of the dolly arrangement and missile being unloaded from a Cargomaster.

Page 98 of Wilson's book has another image of a Globemaster load, despite the size of the aeroplane, it looks a very tight fit indeed and probably indicates why it was not flown with its trailer. Another reason could be the trailer was part of the launch system and the equipment was required on station. It further appears that the IRBM when off loaded it hangered for a short period prior to the airlift or convoy, at that point it was either mated or seperated with the trailer, depending which way it was heading.

The missile was not transported with its warhead or heat shield either - a photograph on page 65 of Boyes book clearly shows this arrangement - "as missile 214 departs Hemswell". It did'nt say which way it was departing, but most likely to station.

The RAF trailers differed from the US arrangement, in that the rear bogie was stearable and had 'rear driver station' to allow navigation on the UK's tortuous 1960s byeways - page 92 of Jim Wilson's book has an very good photograph demonstrating this arrangement.

The tractor units varied but, where mainly and routinely of American origin - publicity photographs for 'political' reasons nearly always showed Thor 'convoys' headed up with Leyland or Bedford front ends.

A small nugget is the Thor Flights came in 'direct' from the Douglas's Santa Monica plant. No idea if it was one hop, or staged, though.

Hope that helps.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

Excellent work.

Thor was not 'in flight' transported with its trailer, it had two seperate wheeled dollys positioned at the rear and the business end of the weapon.

Marty...

Thanks Marty - that would explain why the missile and trailer doesn't actually fit in the C-133... :banghead:

Darius

Darius -

I think the machines used in the Thor airlift may have been specially modified. Because, there was a lot of concern about how the change in pressure would effect the weapon, unfueled Thor was extremely fragile. I seem to recall there was quite a bit of monitoring equipment installed. I don't know if that was a 'general' upgrade or peculiar to this project. If you wish to depict an aircraft as used in the Project Emily airlift, you may want to do some more digging, to nail it down.

Keep up the good work.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

Finished off the interior with the addition of the rear cargo floor and starboard side bench seating - plus that odd looking bit of kit at port front of the cargo bay. Cut out the port side cabin windows. Now ready to "close" - but not today.

C133_128.jpg

C133_129.jpg

C133_130.jpg

Darius

Edited by Darius at Home

Started on the props - nice small mini project. The kit came with a set of separate resin props that look like they are copied from the Monogram B-29. The blade profile is incorrect for the C-133 and so some re-profiling was required. The vac-formed spinner is short and conical whereas the actual spinner is longer and bullet-shaped. A rummage in the spares box yielded a Monogram F-101B drop tank with the correct nose profile. This was duly cut from the main tank and the prop hioles drilled. Only three more to do...(fortunately I have 2 Revell/Monogram F-101s in the stash).

C133_131.jpg

C133_132.jpg

C133_133.jpg

C133_134.jpg

Darius

PS - Mike, I have matted down the interior paint finish. I used "The Army Painter Anti Shine Matt Varnish" which works a treat.

Edited by Darius at Home

Cemented the fuselage halves together today with plenty of cyano glue, tamiya tape and swearing. I started at the cockpit roof and worked tailwards along the top of the fuselage, taping the joint as I went. After leaving the glue to set for a bit I did the same on the lower fusleage joint. Not such a good fit here and so filling and sanding will be needed but this joint is less visible. I did not glue the wing root area as I will be cutting the top of the fuselage away here to insert a wing spar before re-attaching it and blending it in. The side wing profiles as vac-formed have too much of an angle of attack such that the engine axis points upwards to a noticable extent. This will be corrected in the sparing operation later this weekend. As anticipated, the cockpit window aperture is a bit skewed to starboard and so some re-profiling will be needed once the glue has set well.

Darius

C133_135.jpg

C133_136.jpg

C133_137.jpg

Cut out the fuselage roof over the wing spar location and stiffened the forward sloping fuselage roof with a thick cardboard bulkhead. Made the spar from balsa with a plasticard outer "veneer". Dry run with the main wings attached - starting to look like a C-133...

Darius

C133_138.jpg

C133_139.jpg

C133_140.jpg

C133_141.jpg

C133_142.jpg

C133_143.jpg

C133_144.jpg

C133_145.jpg

C133_146.jpg

Darius, is that a comfy chair that's invaded your modeling space? Shame on you!

Happy birthday you (not quite as old as me but older than the MD) git! He passes on his birthday felicitations.

Great model, look forward to seeing it in the flesh soon. Your vacform Globemaster has to be next...

Darius, is that a comfy chair that's invaded your modeling space? Shame on you!

Happy birthday you (not quite as old as me but older than the MD) git! He passes on his birthday felicitations.

Great model, look forward to seeing it in the flesh soon. Your vacform Globemaster has to be next...

No, no, not the comfy chair.....

The C-124 should hopefully get an outing this year, but first something a tad smaller, perhaps a J3 Cub or Neville Duke's Kittyhawk Mk 1a.

Darius

Joints filled and sanded. Dry run with tailplanes and rudder attached. The wings are a nice snug fit onto the spar - the intention is for them to be removeable for easier storage of this beastie.

Darius

C133_147.jpg

C133_148.jpg

C133_149.jpg

C133_150.jpg

C133_151.jpg

C133_152.jpg

C133_153.jpg

Completed the port main undercarriage and built the nose gear and bay wall. Trial run showed the aircraft to be a tailsitter so I added some weight to the nose. Use a set of car wheel balance weights dropped in to the space beneath the cockpit floor.

Darius

C133_154.jpg

C133_155.jpg

C133_156.jpg

C133_157.jpg

C133_158.jpg

I spent many a happy hour sat in Doug Feeney's workshop come spare room talking to him about modelling and browsing his extensive range of books and magazines. Doug was always a character and I never failed to enjoy his company and to learn soething new whenever we met. I not seen him for ages and would dearly love to speak to him again. If any one knows of his contact details I'd love to have them.

I had three of the C133 kits in my loft when me and the Ex-wife split up, never did find out what she did with them.

THC

Are you going to try the paint from Clas Ohlson, Darius? I sprayed a Cub with their gloss white today, seems fine though it was just the first coat (started to rain when I was ready to do the second!).

Looking good, guess it will be finished by the time I get around to popping down!

Edited by treadigraph

Are you going to try the paint from Clas Ohlson, Darius? I sprayed a Cub with their gloss white today, seems fine though it was just the first coat (started to rain when I was ready to do the second!).

Looking good, guess it will be finished by the time I get around to popping down!

Yes - I will be making a trip to the Useful Shoppe Tuesday lunchtime.

Darius

Edited by Darius at Home