Jump to content

I.D. Models C-133 Cargomaster


Recommended Posts

Finally started!!!

The fuslage is very large - about 39 inches or 1 metre long - and so I cut it into thirds to make it manageable. I started with the forward fuselage halves using the traditional sanding method.

Using photos and drawings as a gude I made the cockpit floor and bulkheads using thick cardboard - a cheaper alternative to heavy gauge plasticard. Finer details will be added later using plasticard stock etc.

:giles:

Darius

C133_01.jpg

C133_03.jpg

C133_04.jpg

C133_05.jpg

C133_06.jpg

C133_07.jpg

C133_08.jpg

C133_09.jpg

C133_10.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Made the pilot, co-pilot, flight engineer and navigator seats from plastic card (vac-form offcuts plus some thin card stock). The yoke shafts were laminated from plasti card and thin wire used for the yokes themselves. Separate cushions and armrests will be made from card and painted before being added.

:giles:

Darius

C133_11.jpg

C133_12.jpg

C133_13.jpg

Edited by Darius at Home
Link to post
Share on other sites

C133A.jpg

I believe at one time, it was the largest 1/48 vacuform model kit ever produced.

Will be following this project closely; it certainly offers a huge canvas for (several) bare-metal finishing techniques.

And pardon Anthony's attire in the image above.

Link to post
Share on other sites
I believe at one time, it was the largest 1/48 vacuform model kit ever produced.

Whats the largest kit then? I seen to remember reading somewhere someone made a Spruce Goose but i cant remember what scale that was.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing already, will join the build soon (I hope!) but won't be able to hold a candle against your work, even at this early stage, is there a emoticon for jealousy?!! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Neat project Darius!

I will certainly be watching your build!!

Re: the Spruce Goose. It's 1/72, but don't let the scale fool you! I held my BV 222 fuselage up to the Goose fuselage and it's only about a third of the size, if that!

Can't wait to see some more progress Darius. I've always liked the Cargomaster!

Ted

Link to post
Share on other sites

Darius,

Man that thing is HUGE,you're going to need a special hanger for it.Excellent work my friend.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Link to post
Share on other sites

More progress on the cockpit today. I painted the interior using Humbrol enamels and added plastic card cushions and headrests to the seats. I cheated on the instrument panels by using reduced images of photos of the actual panels printed onto paper. Not as good as photoetch but probably OK given the limited view into the cockpit once all is closed in.

:giles:

Darius

C133_15.jpg

C133_16.jpg

C133_17.jpg

C133_18.jpg

C133_19.jpg

C133_20.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I worked on the central fuselage today, cutting out the main gear doors from the sponsons and boxing out the main gear wells using thick cardboard stock. I detailed the fuselage centre interior using more card stock and plastic card. The plan is to make a box above this that will hold the wing spars and have the wings removeable for storage!!! The sponson gear "boxes" are a snug fit to the central interior rather than glued so as to allow fine adjustment of the fit to each sponson when the fuselage halves are eventually joined together.

:giles:

Darius

C133_21.jpg

C133_22.jpg

C133_23.jpg

C133_24.jpg

C133_25.jpg

C133_26.jpg

C133_27.jpg

C133_28.jpg

C133_29.jpg

C133_30.jpg

Edited by Darius at Home
Link to post
Share on other sites

Starboard fuselage windows marked, drilled and opened up with small files.

C133_31.jpg

C133_32.jpg

Following the example of some recent 1:48 helicopter kits I decied to add interior ribbing/stringer detail by making seperate lining sheets. Plasticard strip stringers were cemented to a thin sheet of plastic that was cut to fit the starboard interior forward of the wing.

C133_39.jpg

C133_33.jpg

Plasticard strips were cemented to the fuleage interior to which the lining would be cemented.

C133_38.jpg

The interior lining was cemented in place and then thicker plasticard ribs were cemented in place.

C133_34.jpg

C133_35.jpg

C133_36.jpg

C133_37.jpg

Seems to have worked out OK.

:giles:

Darius

Link to post
Share on other sites

Darius,

Fanstastic built to date.Your scratch building efforts are truely impressive.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a mighty project, Darius. I shall follow this with interest, given that I have the Welsh Models vacform. I doubt I'll go as far as fitting out its interior. Best of luck.

Joseph

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the ribbing there Darius... I'm using a similar technique for riveting on a master I'm doing at the moment :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Work recommenced today with the sanding down of the rear starboard fuselage and its attachment to the rest of the fuselage.

C133_40.jpg

I marked the positions of the rear cargo door/ramp and cut them out. This is going to be a C-133A, the B-model had side opening clamshell rear doors.

C133_41.jpg

C133_42.jpg

C133_44.jpg

The interior stringers and ribbing were made as per the rest of the fuselage. This is much easier than applying them directly to the inside of the fuselage.

C133_43.jpg

C133_45.jpg

C133_46.jpg

C133_47.jpg

C133_48.jpg

:giles:

Darius

Link to post
Share on other sites

That is great work Darius. I was wondering how much of it would be seen, but withthe ramp open you should see a bit.

I am working on the Anigrand 1/72 C-17 and planned a similar route to add interior detail to that kit. Your effort looks very effective so it looks like I will follow your lead and go down that path.

:thumbsup:

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...