Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 32 scratchbuilt Yacht

thanks jag, I will have a looksee.

I have been experimenting platting together the cotton, eg 2 white threads with a coloured one and it looks ok but i will definately have a look.

I think you should have a crack at making a modern yacht, its fun if a little time consuming. and there is usually plenty of reference material especially if you have thoe boat its self.

Cheers Z

Bit of an update:

I have finally finished painting the white, so many coats. the underside will be dark blue, will do that later. I have also done the decking on the rear, there is more rubbing dwn to do on that as well and i find plenty of coats of clear works wonders too.

Hope you like;

Z

P9090233.jpg

P9090234.jpg

P9090235.jpg

Looks great, really coming on nicely! I really like the decking!

The missus & I just got back from a few days staying in Poole overlooking the harbour. There are some stunning boats kept in the marina there! Including a 1936 wooden yacht called Bloodhound. It has a For Sale sign on it, & I found it advertised in one of the local yacht brokers. I asked the missus if she'll get it for me for Christmas - they're only asking £885,000 for it......!!!! (I think I might have more luck trying to copy your scratchbuilding methods!!)

Keef

Edited for fat fingered typing

Edited by keefr22

Update,

I have finished the major works now and she is painted up. It went pretty well and have got the finish I was hoping for. Idecided not to go full gloss but went for a more satin look. I dont really think that the gloss look is good on scale models but each to their own.

I have now got a number of fiddley little bits to do which will no doubt take as long again at this rate.

Oh and I need some 'decals' making, just for the name of the boat. does anyone know where I can get custom made ones? I have the image of the writing all ready made.

I am pretty pleased so far, I hope you like.

Cheers Z

P9180008.jpg

P9180006.jpg

P9180005.jpg

P9180004.jpg

P9180003.jpg

P9180002.jpg

• Like 1

Update,

I have finished the major works now and she is painted up. It went pretty well and have got the finish I was hoping for. Idecided not to go full gloss but went for a more satin look. I dont really think that the gloss look is good on scale models but each to their own.

I have now got a number of fiddley little bits to do which will no doubt take as long again at this rate.

Oh and I need some 'decals' making, just for the name of the boat. does anyone know where I can get custom made ones? I have the image of the writing all ready made.

Cheers Z

P9180008.jpg

P9180006.jpg

P9180005.jpg

P9180004.jpg

P9180003.jpg

P9180002.jpg

Facinating and interesting build. I too have a long term project to finish of an 18th scale model of my own boat a Sailfish 18.

LochOich.jpg

John

Edited by John Aero

Like? I think that looks absolutely brilliant! I really like the finish you've got on it & fully agree about gloss not looking right on scale models (apart from cars which look odd in anything else!) - the sheen you have on her looks just right!

You could try Paul Parkes who posts on here, he offers custom made decals. He posted his e-mail address the other day as [email protected]

HTH

Keef

Facinating and interesting build. I too have a long term project to finish of an 18th scale model of my own boat a Sailfish 18.

LochOich.jpg

John

Thanks john.

How are you making yours? this is the most difficult thing i have modelled having used kits in the past, but by far the most rewarding. I am very pleased with what i have got so far. And thankfully the old man is impressed too, and as it will be adorning his living room i am pleased.

Z

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know what the best material is for ropes?

Fascinating build! If you still need to find scale steel rope, I've used steel fishing trace before. It's available by the reel at any decent fishing tackle shop and looks spot on!