Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 32 scratchbuilt Yacht

Hi Guys,

You may have seen my other posts in the maritime forum looking for advice on fibreglassing here is my WIP.

I am making this model for my Dad, he has one of these boats and I thought he would like something to look at when he isnt on it. I have never entered the world of scrtchbuilding before, nevermind the complexities of fibreglassing so this could be an interesting one...

I have just got through my fibreglass materials and will hopefully be giving it a crack this weekend on the Hull.

As i haven't done this scratchbuilding lark before any and all advice is most gratefully recieved.

there have been questions asked about why I have chosen to go down the route of fibreglass for the main parts I will try to answer now. Yes I could build it as I have been building the mold and have a big solid model of the yacht but I wanted to make it hollow and I couldnt really think of how to do it otherwise (i want to put the internal features in there too). I have never done fiberglassing before either and am interested in the process. Often for me it is as interesting to learn a new technique as it is to make the model its self.

Here is my work so far...... The first couple of images are of the basic shape, as I dont have decent plans I have only put in a couple of shapers and am letting my eye do the rest from pictures.

The one that looks like the creature form the lost lagoon is after applying the expanding foam which was a suggestion from one of the members of this illustrious site, I did have a problem here however, I applied too much and it did exaclty as it said on the tin and expanded.....a lot.

Then come the pictures after the application of normal household filler, easy to shape but lots of dust created.

And finally all the fiberglassing bumf I got, lots of lovely chemicals to play with here.... resin, catalyst, asatone and the matting.

P6100678.jpg

P6100679.jpg

P6100680.jpg

P6120681.jpg

P6120682.jpg

P6120683.jpg

P6120684.jpg

on to the difficult bit.....

Hi Zool, read your thread and if there is anything I can do to help just ask. I'm a professional modelmaker by trade and and have done a fair amount of fibreglassing in my time. Plus the company I work for builds lots of fibreglass model boats for Sunseeker, Fairline, Tarquin and many others, plus we build full size boat sections for various manufacturers so there is a fount of knowledge to be tapped. I personally don't do that much, but some of the other guys are as expert as you could possibly get on the subject so if there is anything you need to know just PM me, and if I don't know, I can certainly find out for you.

Cheers

There are so many facets of modeling I've yet to explore......Very nice start and looks to be a very good replication of the real one.

Done a bit more over the weekend, over all the fiberglassing has gone pretty well and isnt too difficult. Its pretty messy, but fun. Lots of particularly horrible fumes are produced so make sure you have all the PPE if you do it.

Here are some of the results so far, the first is just my practice attempt to get the hang of it.

P6180001.jpg

This is a much better one, I have made a couple of these incase I bugger it up.

P6180002.jpg

P6180004.jpg

P6180006.jpg

And the Top (mold)

P6180008.jpg

GRP

P6180009.jpg

And the line up!

P6180014.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Z

I do a fair bit of fibreglasing on real Aircraft......

Ok bar do not put to much hardner in as it could catch fire the best tip I could possibly give you Is............

Wash your hands afterwards in COLD WATER, using hot water opens the pores of the skin allowing the fiberglass fibres to penetrate and causes the itching mentioned in the title to the thread, washing your hands in cold water reduces this to next to nothing.................

and weaved matting is far better than the chopped stuff you get from the likes of Halfords.

Oh

Dont fancy doing some more do you.......

Would love to build this boat!

Rich,

I am doubling up on the major parts just in case I make a mess of it but you would be welcome to the its that I dont use. There will no doubt be a hull going spare and probably a deck (will need some adjusting though I just realised its not quite right so will have to do another one I think). Just bear in mind there will be lots of work to do after the fiberglassing, lots of sanding and filling, i amgoing to use car body filler I think. But you will be welcom to what I dont use so long as you dont mind paying the shipping costs..... no pun intended.

Cheers Z

I do a fair bit of fibreglasing on real Aircraft......

Ok bar do not put to much hardner in as it could catch fire the best tip I could possibly give you Is............

Wash your hands afterwards in COLD WATER, using hot water opens the pores of the skin allowing the fiberglass fibres to penetrate and causes the itching mentioned in the title to the thread, washing your hands in cold water reduces this to next to nothing.................

and weaved matting is far better than the chopped stuff you get from the likes of Halfords.

Oh

Thanks for the tip tony, can get a little uncomfortable using this stuff. I havent tried the weaved stuff, I got mine from a fiberglass supplier and dont reaaly find it too difficult with the matting. May try it if I do another project in the future though.

And thanks to everyones positive comments, it really helps to keep the enthusiasm going.

Cheers Z

Hey folks,

Bit of an update...

I cant believe how much sanding I have had to do and i know there is a lot more to do. I have done some of the interior and am in the process of building up the interior and the rear deck. oh and have got the keels on.

Cheers for looking chaps.

z

P6280051.jpg

P6280048.jpg

P6280049.jpg

P6280050.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi folks, I sorry I havent updated for a while I have been a little bit lazy, luckily I have been doing quite a bit on the boat. It seems like i have just been sanding the thing for ages now, car body filler, sand more filler sand....you get the picture.

I finally managed to get some paint on it (im using humbrol enamels) but now I have run out of the stuff so need to get more. Here is what I have so far, I have made a start on the railings too, maybe shoud have waited untill the painting was done but i needed something other than sanding and painting to stop me from going mental. Incidentally, I got the stock mateial for the railings from the model shop in Doncaster, Im not sure what they are made from but it seems to be the one of the hardest materials in the world. I broke 2 hacksaw blades on it untill I gave up and used the Bench grinder....

P8310181.jpg

P8310182.jpg

Hope you like. lots more to do!

Cheers Z

Thanks Keef, your encoragement is much appreciated especially on this beast of a build.

Does anyone know what the best material is for ropes? I have cotton but it looks a little blagh.... just not right.

Thanks

Z

Thanks Keef, your encoragement is much appreciated especially on this beast of a build.

Does anyone know what the best material is for ropes? I have cotton but it looks a little blagh.... just not right.

Thanks

Z

I'm no expert about boats/ships, but I think I've seen 'scale' rope available for the RC ones in model shops in the past? Maybe worth looking for some of that? (don't know where though!)

Keef

Could be worth trying somewhere like 'The Model Dockyard' for ropes - I get a lot of bits for my wooden ships from them.

I'm watching this thread with impressed interest - and a temptation to try the same for a model of our 23' Jaguar........