Sunderland in 72nd

mikeew

Hi All,

I have an ambitious project that I'm looking into with regard to building and superdetailing the venerable Airfix 1/72 Sunderland flying boat as a present for my fathers upcoming 60th birthday next August (2010).

Now, I know of the WEM etched stes and will no doubt be using these, and probably the Aeroclub engines too as well as a vac form canopy.

Does anyone else make anything for the Sunderland regards details? like resin engines or interiors etc?

My idea is to have her at rest, moored ,on a resin sea base with servicing taking place on engines etc. I know a lot will need to be scratchbuilt, but just wondered if there is anything that could make my life easier!

TIA for any/all info!

regards,

Mike

Mike good luck I can't wait to see it, I love the Sunderlands.

Len Thompson did a build of one may be worth trying to contact him, it was fantastic and it was in one of the mags not sure which one, He scratch built most of the interior and a lot more. I believe he did a MkV. I can try to find it for you but will have to do it tomorrow night as I have got company tonight.

All the best

Chris

Hi All,

I have an ambitious project that I'm looking into with regard to building and superdetailing the venerable Airfix 1/72 Sunderland flying boat as a present for my fathers upcoming 60th birthday next August (2010).

Now, I know of the WEM etched stes and will no doubt be using these, and probably the Aeroclub engines too as well as a vac form canopy.

Does anyone else make anything for the Sunderland regards details? like resin engines or interiors etc?

My idea is to have her at rest, moored ,on a resin sea base with servicing taking place on engines etc. I know a lot will need to be scratchbuilt, but just wondered if there is anything that could make my life easier!

TIA for any/all info!

regards,

Mike

There is the Falcon canopy set available which has all the "glass" areas covered, you could buy the Quickboost cowlings, engines and props for the 1/72nd Catalina which might be an option if you are building a Mark V and of course their .303 Brownings for the nose and tail + the .5s for the midship position. If you are staying with a Mark III, then Vector produce a nice Pegasus engine. The other option is to wait for the relase of the Special Hobby kit which is due sometime this year

Ken

Hi Mike

What mark are you planning on building (Mk III/IIIa/V)?

The WEM parts will only do so much for the interior(depends on how serious you are on the interior)

eg if you are mooring her on the water you will need to construct these

DSCF2744copy.jpg

From memory the WEM stuff gives you the bare bones for the flight deck, but none of this

DSCF2785copy.jpg

Aero Club do the R 1830 engine for the Mk V and do the props as well

The Mk III props in the Airfix kit are wrong in that the diameter of the spinner hub has been increased to

give the prop blades some thing to be molded on to when in reality the hubs are smaller see photos.

SunderlandMkIII.jpg

ShortSunderlandMkIIIa.jpg

If you are doing an on water scene engine servicing then the leading edge steps will need to cut out see photos

SunderlandAtMooring.jpg

SunderlandEngineChange.jpg

Sunderlandmoored.jpg

Yes I do have a Sunderland in my back yard (almost, it's at MOTAT a mere few minutes up the road) :pilot::thumbsup:

I also have plans and a pilots/flight engineers notes for a Mk V (most of which would fit a Mk III/IIIa)

send me a PM if you have any queries on the airframe.

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller

:clap2: A great selection of pics there Alan... I might give you a :poke: when I'm building mine if that's ok? :)

Hi Mike

Yes By all means do so, very happy to help out :D

Regards

Alan

Hi Mike

What mark are you planning on building (Mk III/IIIa/V)?

The WEM parts will only do so much for the interior(depends on how serious you are on the interior)

eg if you are mooring her on the water you will need to construct these

DSCF2744copy.jpg

From memory the WEM stuff gives you the bare bones for the flight deck, but none of this

DSCF2785copy.jpg

Aero Club do the R 1830 engine for the Mk V and do the props as well

The Mk III props in the Airfix kit are wrong in that the diameter of the spinner hub has been increased to

give the prop blades some thing to be molded on to when in reality the hubs are smaller see photos.

SunderlandMkIII.jpg

ShortSunderlandMkIIIa.jpg

If you are doing an on water scene engine servicing then the leading edge steps will need to cut out see photos

SunderlandAtMooring.jpg

SunderlandEngineChange.jpg

Sunderlandmoored.jpg

Yes I do have a Sunderland in my back yard (almost, it's at MOTAT a mere few minutes up the road) :pilot::thumbsup:

I also have plans and a pilots/flight engineers notes for a Mk V (most of which would fit a Mk III/IIIa)

send me a PM if you have any queries on the airframe.

Regards

Alan

Nice to see a Mark IIIA under full power

Ken

Many thanks for th input and info, i've bookmarked this page for when I (eventually) start this project.

Do any of you know good refernce/modelling books for the Sunderland? (excepting the recent Wings on Windermere which I have on order)

Mike

You may want to check out a softcover book called "Advanced Techniques Volume Four-Short Sunderland Mk.IIIA" by Andrea Vignocchi, published by Auriga Publishing International in 2008,no ISBN. Almost entirely dedicated to the building of Airfix's Sunderland. Lots of good techniques and colour photos. It does not have any photos of a real Sunderland, so it's not a reference work per se, but it's a beautiful book I recommend heartily.

Hope This Helps,

Tom

Edited by Doolie

Many thanks for th input and info, i've bookmarked this page for when I (eventually) start this project.

Do any of you know good refernce/modelling books for the Sunderland? (excepting the recent Wings on Windermere which I have on order)

Mike

A few flying boat reference mags/books (Warpaint Short Sunderland/Sunderland Flying Boat Queen/recent Aeroplane

Magazine had a good series written by one of the guys on Seawings)

Try this site, lots of good references there and the Forum has a lot of knowledgable folk

http://www.seawings.co.uk/

You can click here for some photos, I posted on a forum here in NZ (they were on Seawings but were lost when Website had to

change to new service provider ( :spider: Blank-blank hackers)and I haven't up loaded them again yet)

Interior Sunderland Photos

As mentioned earlier I have a bunch of photos inside and out, plus plans and Pilots/Flight Engineers notes

drop me a PM if you need help.

I have three airfix kits waiting to do justice, plus a tiny Kader kit (kit fits box from 1960's about 1:150th scale) to do also.

Planning at least one Mk III RNZAF and two MR5 (MkV) RNZAF

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller