Henschel 126 SCW build - oops , retry later

Ok , This is the kit on first inspection - usual Matchbox garish colours.

kit1.jpg

Not too bad on trenches. A quick spray with primer has helped.

kit2.jpg

The standard Henschel scheme is fairly dark and dull, so I went for the bright brown/green/pale gray scheme occasionally seen on Legion aircraft.

The primer I'd used seemed a fairly pale grey, but when I'd masked and painetd the other two colours it looked white. So, mask again and over paint with grey. This shot is before the grey paint. I'd removed the tailplanes temporarily since I kept knocking them off.

Hs126a1.jpg

I haven't got any suitable roundels, then I found some wheel masks that were about right. My word the surface looks rough when blown up like that. My pre-sanding should have been firmer.

Hsrdlmask.jpg

Does anyone know of roundel masks available anywhere. I guess someone must make them.

After grey painting, & roundel base done, aircraft now looks like this -

Hs126e1.jpg

The wheels have been repainted black since this shot was taken. Next tasks are to add an instrument panel and improve the cockpit interior, add canopy. Then some fine decal strips to complete the identity marks. Haven't sorted out code letters yet. Will probably just go for 'believable'.

A nice little kit, but it seems to have taken much more work than the I-16, which is effectively complete & ready for photographing. Comparing this to some of the other builds here, my excuse is that this aircraft has been out on field ops for a long time, so it's badly beaten up and paint scheme well weathered. Well, that is my excuse and I'm sticking to it !

(Can anyone tell me how to get my photos to be smaller when posted in? These seem OTT)

John B

Edited by John B (Sc)

Hi John

funky looking Hs126 :thumbsup:

looks like a Vorticist painting

the size of the pics seems fine to me and thanks for showing BTW

i use a shareware package and change the size to around 7/800 pixels on the longest side of the photo before uploading the pics to Photobucket

the program is downloadable free if you google PhotoFiltre.

it is straight forward to use and better than the windows packages imo

hth

looks like a Vorticist painting

Yes, the Vorticist style was a bit like that wasn't it - I wonder if it might have been the inspiration for the Admiralty's 'dazzle painted ships' later on.

Thanks for the Photfiltre tip.

John B

It started in the First World War, usually credited to Nicholson (not Ben or his father William)

i was originally thinking of the Wadsworth painting i have seen of the ship in dry dock, but couldn't remember if it was him or Nevinson and not sure if they were involved in the design of dazzle camo

sorry to digress and go OT John

Edited by walrus