Great Little Gladiator

I've quickly been knocking together the Airfix Gloster Gladiator kit together over the last three days. My first thoughts on the kit were - "primitive". It's the first biplane I've done properly so was a sharp learning curve.

The fit was bad, the parts poorly moulded. First up, after a bit of filling sanding and guesswork with the scraping away of plastic the bottom wing set was on:

glad1.jpg

With much fiddling, the top wing set was attached to the struts and masked up. At this point, I think the number of parts used accounted to the number 14...

glad4.jpg

The masking was followed by a covering in Halford's Grey Primer, and subsequently Halford's BMW Silver:

glad6n.jpg

This evening I've done what I've never done before - doing biplane rigging. Going by a couple of photos on tinternet, I went for this basic pattern which seems to fit the bill. I'm out of superglue, so had to use two part epoxy instead, which took a long time to set! I think it was worth the sticky fingers and cursing in the end!

dsc8421.jpg

And now by this evening it's covered in decals and pretty much finished:

dsc8429.jpg

Having built it, I've found it much more rewarding than I thought it would ever be. Yes, it probably isn't the most accurate of machines, those panel lines are something less than desired but it was fun! Lots of fun at that, I'd recommend it!

Cheers,

Owen

Its turned out fine but you put your finger right on the spot when you said you had fun. Ultimately the whole point of our hobby.

Martin

Apart from the cowling I think this is a sweet little kit especially if you approach it as if it were a limited run kit (I would be interested to know which kit has had the highest production run). I think you've done a cracking job.

A three day build (or so) was exactly what I was trying to achieve a couple of months ago (it took me 4 weeks):

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30137

Al

That's nice. I didn't know the French used them.

Alright, that error has been dealt with! An inside out printing error by the looks of things (this is quite an old issue kit)

wow incredible job on the rigging for a first time shot !

i'm currently daring myself to have a go

not got the bottle yet

lovley little build mate ! :speak_cool:

• 2 weeks later...