Conversion(s) of the Hasegawa Mk VI kit

Pascal

I'm collecting info for a future conversion project :

The first one that I want to build is the HF Mk VII, MD 188 of Wing Commander Peter Brothers :

spitfireviic48mb_1.jpg

Source : hyperscale.com

I've made a "to-do list" :

1. An insert in the nose to make it longer.

2. Larger airscoop.

3. Bigger fin, with a pointed tip

4. Panellines for the wings tanks.

5. Fill the lines for the cockpit enty door.

6. Retractable tailwheel.

Does anyone have a picture of the pressure bulkhead behind pilot’s seat ?

The second one is the Mk IXb, (SM 41) MH 434, in the colours of the belgian "Cogea Nouvelle" compagny that flew this Spitfire from the mid fifties till the early sixties as a target tug from the Raversijde Airbase in Oostende :

1_Cogea_Nouvelle_SM_41_MH_434.jpg

Artwork by Fernand van de Plas Source : strijdbewijs.nl

To-do list :

1. An insert in the nose to make it longer.

2. Different airscoop.

3. Second underwing radiator.

Please feel free to add information or to complete the to-do lists.

Greetings

Pascal

Edited by Pascal

On the VII, the fin was the same size; it was the rudder which was bigger. You'll also need a second radiator, just like the IX, plus fishtail exhausts, shorter-span ailerons, and extended-horn elevators.

The pressure bulkhead was frame 12, just in front of the radio tray; it came down to just below the tray, then back, underneath it, and dropped down as the bottom part of frame 13. The control wires, harness, etc., went through box-like fittings, which contained the seals. In the right, front corner of the cockpit, there was a shelf, onto which a second altimeter was mounted. This showed the "height" of the cockpit, as opposed to the main altimeter, which showed the VII's true height.

I had a similar enquiry, a few weeks back, and put together a folder of drawings and photos, which is still on file. If you'd like a copy, let me know.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

Also, dont forget to deepen the rear, fixed section of the canopy and add canopy rails. Also, there was a triangular clear view panel in the front port section of the canopy.

Another point is that for the later Mk VIIs the carburettor intake was much fatter - more like a short version of the long aero-vee intakes found on later MkIXs and MkIII Seafires.

Thanks for the help :winkgrin:

@ Edgar : Yes I would like to have a copy. What are extended horn elevators ?

@ Dave Flemming : I suppose this means different panellines and different bulges for the cannons ?

@ davidelvy : the canopy rails on the rear section of the canopy are included in the Mk VI kit, as is the triangular clear view panel :

1_ac1__2_.jpg

Thanks again

Greetings

Pascal

@ Edgar : Yes I would like to have a copy. What are extended horn elevators ?

On the VB kit, the line of the elevators turns through 45 degrees, running out to the front outside edge of the tailplane, in a straight line. For the extended horn, it turned, again, about halfway along, so that it was at 90 degrees to the hinge line. You'll find a line of rivets, which is exactly where the cut was made on the real thing. The line should look rather like an L, with the bottom corner cut off.

PM me, with an E-mail address, and I'll get the file to you.

I can't find any confirmatory photos, but it's possible that the VII had the broad bulge, over the cannon bay, like the early IX & VIII, since it was not incuded in the mods for the narrower bulges, which were brought in at the beginning of 1943.

When first built, the VII & VIII had downward red and green recognition lights fitted to the wings near the outer .303" bays, but these were deleted from May, 1943. They still pop up in some drawings, so confusion still reigns on that one.

Edgar

@ Dave Flemming : I suppose this means different panellines and different bulges for the cannons ?

Yes, the 'B' wing had a single cannon mount set quite far back, with bulges on top and bottom of the wing. The 'C' had different bulges on the top, as the cannon was set further forward (The cannon barrel is longer in front of the wing as well)

I think there was a lso a change in undercarraige angle as well, but as a 1/72 modeller I usually ignore that!!

I can't find any confirmatory photos, but it's possible that the VII had the broad bulge, over the cannon bay, like the early IX & VIII, since it was not incuded in the mods for the narrower bulges, which were brought in at the beginning of 1943.

Edgar

Spitfire at War Vol.3 Has a rear view of a VII at Harrowbeer (one of Pete Brother's Wing, actually Don Nicholson's aircraft NX.L MD172 of which there are many photos) showing narrow bulges and the horn elevators very clearly. Must finish my 1/72 version (so near yet so far for a decade or so !),

Also, a page or two on, one at Skeabrae with narrow bulges.

Another detail to watch out for is the number of spokes in the undercarriage wheels - 4 on Nicholson's machine.

Ross