1/72 Canberra PR9 Finally finished!

Ok I've finally pulled the box out of the loft. First impressions are good, nice crisp detail, although being a limited run kit there are no locating lugs/pins so might have too look at this.

Heres a quick box/contents shot, oh and just happen to have MA's PR.9 sheet aswell, although looking at the kit sheet provided i might just use it as it looks just as good as MA's.

pr9build008.jpg

I'm thinking building it with the cockpit open, ladders attached (if i can find any?) and nose open showing the Nav's position. Oh and I'm going to finish it in the ATRF grey a bit like this ONE

Not going to do a lot yet as I'm waiting for my copy of Aeroguide from Hannant's, might get it before the GB finishes :wicked:

A couple of questions for the Canberra Massif. Firstly what bang seats were used in the PR.9? Next are there any ladders available in 1/72?

Oh and last night I watched an episode of Classic Airframes about the PR.9 that I've got saved on my sky box The Nav was doing a walkround of XH131 i think and he mentions a fairly recent camera fit that was taken from the U-2, apparently it works better in the PR.9 than it does in the U-2. I wont go into the fact that in many respects the PR.9 was a better sensor platform than the U-2 :analintruder:

Does anyone know if this camera fit was fleet wide?

Cheers

Rich

Edited by Rich F

• 3 weeks later...

OK, finally got round too open opening the box and got started on this one, so far I've cut the rudder off as i plan to offset it to add a little bit of interest.

Since i plan on leaving the nose open I've added a little bit of detail there but as you can see I've haven't gone over board on this is gonna be pretty dark in there so you aren't going to see a lot.

pr9build020.jpg

pr9build021.jpg

I've decided to replace the pilots bang seat with an Aeroclub one, this has also had a bit of work done with some spare eduard seat belts, bits of plasticard and various sizes of evergreen. I'm not sure if it was the correct seat but it looks better than the kit offering which is a bit puny.

pr9build011.jpg

pr9build012.jpg

I also tried to cut a tread in the tyres using a scribing tool laid flat with the wheel laid next too it and I just slowly cut a groove into the tyre by twisting it round and round, not quite as accurate as a lathe but a lot cheaper!

pr9build023.jpg

Just need to add a coat v dark grey and I can start my favourite bit, painting the cockpit!

Rich

Cracking start so far Rich, I might even try and get my hands on this kit depending how this goes.

Are these any help for you?

XH175Nav1.jpg

XH175Nav2.jpg

XH175Pilot1.jpg

XH175Pilot2.jpg

Bexy

Great start, Rich.

Very neat embellishment of the Nav's cave; it already looks to be a big improvement over what has been provided in the kit.

Bex,

More excellent photos, which will prove invaluable when I work on my PR.9. Thanks very much.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Thanks for the comments guys, oh and cheers for the pics Bex. :thumbsup2:

Well just about finished the inside painting now, seats just needs a touch up on the seats(which i didn't notice until i took the pics) and the ejection handles adding. The cockpit and interior where given a coat of Revell No.9 and then dry brushed with a light grey, then a quick wash with a black wash. Instrument Panel dials were picked out with gloss black.

pr9build028.jpg

As the Canberra is a notorious tail-sitter a few chucks of lead were added to the rear of the cockpit bulkhead.

pr9build032.jpg

A little bit of fictitious detail to busy up the interior.

pr9build033.jpg

Next I've got to button up the fuselage, which I've a feeling is going to be a PITA!

Rich

Thanks for the comments guys, oh and cheers for the pics Bex. :thumbsup2:

pr9build028.jpg

Rich

Rich,

Your most welcome, plenty more where they came from, drop me a PM with your email addy as the rest in my collection arent mine. Just one question, why have you done 3 bang seats?

Bexy

• 2 months later...

Hi peeps,

finally got round to getting a bit more done, really pushing it to get it finished before the deadline, i will try my best though :whistle:

Rich,

Your most welcome, plenty more where they came from, drop me a PM with your email addy as the rest in my collection arent mine. Just one question, why have you done 3 bang seats?

Bexy

Bex, I thought I'd paint 3, just in case i mucked one of em up!

Anyway on to what I've been up to.

pr9build037.jpg

As you can see I've added a bit of styrene and lead wire around the top of the cockpit coaming and behind the seat. Oh and I've cut the canopy into 3 pieces so i can display it open.

pr9build042.jpg

One of the reasons why i have really slowed down on this kit is its horrendous intakes, neither of them are round more an oval shape, really disappointing. :angry:

pr9build043.jpg

Added the Nav lights, both were undersized chord-wise, so had to thicken them up with oodles of cyano, then sanded and polished to shape. I did notice that the cyano had clouded the clear styrene a bit but should be ok-ish!

i then drilled and couple of holes and inserted some plastic rod for the RWR lumps and the wing tip lights.

pr9build049.jpg

I just finished titivating the undercarriage and doors.

Next I've got all the lumps, bumps, aerials and antenna to add so not too far from the best bit... painting it!

Thanks for looking.

Rich :ike:

Bex, I thought I'd paint 3, just in case i mucked one of em up!

Rich :ike:

Now thats good thinking Rich :worthy:

I really like the detail work youve added, impressive work Sir :thumbsup2:

Bexy

• 1 month later...

Right finally got some done to this one.

After getting the wings on I got round to the painting stage, here is a run down on what i did.

1. A coat of Mr Surfacer 1000 was applied after thinning with, well Mr Thinner of course. This was the first time i had used this and i was very pleased with the results, my only niggle was the cobweb effect it left in corners and raised details. This was easily remedied with a a quick sweep with a brush.

2. Next up was another first, Acrylic paint, Vallejo Model air to be exact and another pleasant surprise. This went on well. I used Hemp on a few places where i intended it to show through.

3. Which leads me to this step, using a piece of sponge i applied some Micro-Mask to the places i had previously painted Hemp.

4. Then i shot some Vallejo Medium Sea Grey straight from the bottle.

5. After that I lightened the MSG with some white and created a patchy effect, not really following the panel lines.

6. At this stage i still wasn't happy with the effect. On the real aircraft, dark patches are all over, especially where oils, etc have leaked onto the ATRF finish.

I had an idea of using intermediate grey, as this is quite bluey grey especially when lightened alot.

Anyway here's what I'm talking about...

pr9build009.jpg

pr9build010.jpg

pr9build014.jpg

pr9build015.jpg

pr9build016-1.jpg

pr9build019.jpg

Next up is a coat of Klear then on with the decals.

Must thank Mish aswell for the extention to the GB, although i still might be pushing it to get this one finished.

Bye for now

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...