Canberra Reference Thread

AnonymousFY21

Oh if you want to be pedantic, then the throttle quadrant is also molded wrong too, the HP Cocks are either fully forward or fully to the rear, IE Go & Stop :lol: Its only the throttles that can be anywhere inbetween fully forward & fully to the rear.

Bexy

I thought you guys & gals might like to see a Canberra with the nose glazing removed, to give you an idea what can be seen through it :wicked:

DSCF1325.jpg

Although this is a PR7, a lot can be seen.

Bexy

This is my third attempt to ask a question in this thread, dunno why it won't go through but here's trying again. . .

The PR3 main landing gear wheels, were they the early 'spoked' type or the later ones with four holes like the ones in the kit? The PR3 preserved at Coventry has the earlier spoked type, is this standard fit? Also, gear bays seemed to painted to match the original underside colour, so were the gear bays on PR3's PRU Blue? or maybe night black? or natural metal?

Thanks in advance

. . . Kes

Kes,

Personally Id go for the spoked wheels, as afaik the later 4 hole hubs were fitted to B6 variant airframes onwards. As for the UC Bays, well, I work on the basis of find a photo of the aircraft your building, because there doesnt seem to be a "standard" paint answer :mental:

Bexy

Thanks Bex, that was pretty much the conclusion I'd come up with, from the few PR3 piccies I have or can find online it seems the spoked option is the way to go, as for gear bays, I'll go with either night black or aluminium, as for which particular aircraft I'm doing, well, I'm banned from the unmentionable PR3 which went to New Zealand for some reason?!?!?! I'm thinking of the Project Robin Kapustin Yar overflight aircraft, and given that no one seems to know which aircraft carried out the mission or even if it happen at all? It'll be speculative at best!! At least no one can say I've got some detail wrong!! Ha!

Thanks again Bex, I'm sure I'll be troubling you for more info soon!!

. . . Kes

Project Robin? Never heard of it :whistle::rofl: I look forwards to this, as you say, theres no definate answer on those over flights as yet, so go for it :yahoo:

It seems PR3's are very camera shy in service which is rather unsporting :yikes:

You know where I am, so give me a shout if you need me.

Bexy

Hi all

I'm currently building the Classic Airframes T.17 and am trying to find out what colour the undercarriage bays are. I've seen pictures with both what looks like black and silver bays.

Does anyone have a more definite answer?

Thanks in advance

Antony

Anthony, have you got an aircraft serial and colour scheme for the airframe? That way I can check my refs.

Bexy

Hi Bexy

Colour scheme is Hemp over Light Aircraft Grey and serial number is WD955.

Thanks for the help

Antony

No probs Antony, UC bays are white.

Bexy

Edited by bexwh773

just seen your pics of '773 with her nose off...very interesting!!

as its the height of the british summer, i hope you have a cover over it to keep it from flooding with all the 'liquid sunshine' :evil_laugh:

just seen your pics of '773 with her nose off...very interesting!!

as its the height of the british summer, i hope you have a cover over it to keep it from flooding with all the 'liquid sunshine' :evil_laugh:

That was last year Steve, we got it off, the next day was those nasty storms, end of May / June last year? Was not a happy bunny to say the least, but it was all sealed up watertight, for 2 weeks, came back and found the nose had been remounted........ dont ask :angrysoapbox.sml: (not in public anyways)

Bexy

Hi again

Nearing completion of the Classic Airframes T.17 as WD955 in Hemp, but run into another problem. I'm about to put the wingway walk markings on, the instructions say red, the box art says yellow! I,ve looked on the web and seen pictures of kits built with both colours but none of the tops of the wings on the real plane to be able to tell for sure. Can anyone help at all please?

Thanks

Antony

Antony,

Youre gonna love this....... Not alot :doh: According to Jon Freemans On Target Profiles No.7, theyre RED & YELLOW. Red outside, with yellow uptight on the inside.

Bexy

Antony,

Youre gonna love this....... Not alot :doh: According to Jon Freemans On Target Profiles No.7, theyre RED & YELLOW. Red outside, with yellow uptight on the inside.

Bexy

Thanks Bexy, i'll have a go with both but might just end up with the red ones. Got to admit there's nothing simple about the Canberra is there?

I was also going to ask what colour the u/c legs and wheels and mudguards are, but i'm not sure i want to know the answer!!

I suppose its what makes these planes so characterful!

Edited by antony robertson

canberra markings and paintschemes?...simples <squeek> :evil_laugh:

joking aside though the more i look into this there doesnt seem to be a definative 'all this mark had white u/c bays, this mark had black' type it seems to be whatever paint the stores had at the time!

..doesnt that mean that we can paint ours with whatever we have to hand?...only joking bexy!( who has probably fainted at the thought of such sacrelige)

steve

Edited by kspriss

..doesnt that mean that we can paint ours with whatever we have to hand?...only joking bexy!( who has probably fainted at the thought of such sacrelige)

steve

:fight::whistle:

Bexy

HAH..you dont scare me that easily...oh wait, you know my modelling plans and have Mrs Steve's phone number....

<running and hiding> :frantic: :frantic: :frantic:

:rofl:

:doh:

Bexy

Hi all, me again!

Got another question and its about aolours again!!

Kit is finished apart from the aerials which are on but need painting.

From what i,ve seen on various pictures it seems like the front 2 are black, the 2 dorsal ones are black at the front, white at the back, and the 2 on the vertical stab are silver or white, am i even anywhere near?? this is the last question and hopefully pictures to come tomorrow.

The kit is a T.17 Hemp over grey WD955

Thanks

Antony

OK, you tech heads, why do you see so many photographs of Canberras on the ground with bomb doors open?

It's been suggested that it's for ease of servicing but I wonder if it's a hydraulic issue much the same as flaps on an f-4 drop when power is off?