Bristol Beaufort Started

Ok chaps here we go with Sangers Bristol Beaufort . Heres my refrence material along with a nice cut away drawing

034.jpg

035.jpg

I have started in the usuall way by scribing round the parts with a craft knife and snaping them out , followed by sanding and clean up.

i also cut out the hole for the turret the wing tip lights and various windows

036.jpg

After i had cut out and prepared the airframe i turned my attention to the White metal parts , Oh dear Sanger what were you smoking at the time ?

as you can see not much can be used so replacement parts will have to be sourced else were.

037.jpg

Searching through my spares box i found a couple of engines and cowlings from a Tamiya Beaufighter , a vast improvement on the Sanger items.

Also i unearthed the Wheels from the same kit together with the spoked hubs from a Tamiya Mosquito , i drilled out one side of the wheel and inserted the Mosquito hub

hey presto Beaufort Wheels

044.jpg

Heres the toilet paper errr decal sheet

045.jpg

Next up detailing the fuslarge.

• Like 1

That doesn't look half bad as Sanger kits go... nice tidy job on cutting it all out - have you sanded it back yet?

Sure have Mike , while i was at it i did a little scribing where the panel lines had faded away . As luck would have it i just won a Tamiya Beaufighter on E Bay.

worth it for the undercarrage legs , tail wheel and other bits . :undecided:

• Like 1

Searching through my spares box i found a couple of engines and cowlings from a Tamiya Beaufighter , a vast improvement on the Sanger items.

Those Hercules engines are going to look rather large on your Beaufort.

The cut-out parts look a lot cleaner than I remember mine being, maybe it's time I took another look at that one.....

Cheers,

Bill.

Those Hercules engines are going to look rather large on your Beaufort.

The cut-out parts look a lot cleaner than I remember mine being, maybe it's time I took another look at that one.....

Cheers,

Bill.

I hear you Bill , i do realise they are diffrent but i cant think of any other replacements .

I checked Aeroclub but they dont do the Bristol Taurus engines as used on the Beaufort having said that once inside the cowlings not much can be seen .

• Like 1

Keith - I'm guessing by the mention of the Tamiya Beau that you're building this monkey in 1:48? If so, Neil @ Paragon does a Hercules conversion for the 1:48 Tammy Lanc, and if you promise to be good, may be convinced to let you have two engines & their cowlings? You might be lucky? :)

• Thanks 1

Keith,

Welcome to the GB. I 've often wondered what the Sanger kits were like as I've never seen one inprogress before.The kit doen't look half bad form what I can see with the exception of the white metal parts.Anyway best of luck and I'll be following this thread with interest.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Edited by Spad57
  • Like 1

This is timely, I just bought a Frogspawn effort of evilbay for a song. I'm going to ask Julien if he will take some pics at Hendon for me.

sorry, I know funny names are in but this time frogspawn has me baffled

• Haha 1

sorry, I know funny names are in but this time frogspawn has me baffled

The old Frog moulds have been used by many Eastern European manufacturers, they are generically referred to as Frogspawn.

Cheers,

Bill.

• Thanks 1

Keith, you may wish to consider the Pratt & Whitney engined Australian ones. Replacement cowlings may be easier to find that way.

The P&W engines are a lot closer in size to the Taurus than the Hercules too. All three are 14 cylinder two-row radials, diameters are (/148 in brackets):

Taurus - 46.25" (24.47mm)

Twin Wasp - 48.03" (25.42mm)

Hercules - 55" (29.10mm)

So even if you didn't want to build a P&W engined variant, the Twin Wasp engines will bear a passing resemblance to the Taurus,

Cheers,

Bill.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions chaps , i checked out Aeroclub and John produces Pratt & Whitney Wasps.

Looks like a trip to Hannants this weekend. I have been working on the cockpit interia and wings and will be posting pics soon. :evil_laugh:

• Thanks 1

A little more progress on the Beaufort . I started detailing the fuslarge by first filling in the impressions were the wings are then added some ribs and stringers from rod.

In the nose section i added the navs table and equipment panel

DSC00190.jpg

Laying the fuslarge on the plans has thrown up a problem , it seems the fuslarge is a little short in the tail area once the fuslarge halves are together i intend to cut the tail section off and add an insert.

DSC00187.jpg

The wings have also had some work i have added the undercarrage bays , wing tip lights and landing lights

DSC00188.jpg

DSC00189.jpg

The clear parts have also been cut out ready to be worked on , also in this shot you can see the compleated tail planes and wheels.

DSC00192.jpg

More pics soon.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...