Canberra Olympus Testbed - FINISHED

Beautiful, just beautiful!! Great conversion work with the simplest of materials & another stunning paint & decalling job!

Really like the control locks & RBF tags - shows you're a pilot as well as a muddeler! :thumbsup: Stuff like that makes all the difference to a finished model to me (yes, I know I'm sad!)

Absolutely lovely model! :speak_cool:

Keef

That has turned out very nice Dean, considering the lack of amount research material available on this airframe, especially in colour (Im surprised you didnt think about just copying the the Black & White photos :whistle: )

Im really looking forwards to seeing this one in the flesh :worthy:

Bexy

Thanks for the nice comments folks, it's appreciated. And Bex...as for copying the black and white photos, I started to think I had until the first roundel went on. It was very monochrome up until then!

And thanks to those who posted comments in the Gallery thread too...don't think you're really meant to do that there, you might get a slapped wrist from the mods, but thanks again.

Cheers,

Dean

Excellent work Dean.

(did I miss something :hmmm: , but where are the decals for the FOD covers? :shrug: )

Ongoing, Mike. I'm in the process of trying to find someone who can print white letters on clear decal sheet for me. I saw somebody recently put out a request for the same thing and hasn't had any replies, so I'm not hopeful. I tried printing on white sheet with a red background, but after several attempts decided there was no way I was going to match the decal red to the red already on the FOD covers. Then I tried printing yellow letters on a clear background (the only reference photo I have is monochrome, so they could have been yellow...) but when I applied the decal the yellow was absolutely invisible! Back to the drawing board.

I thought people might be interested to see it 99.9% finished, and most people aren't as eagle eyed as you so I thought I'd keep quiet about it for the time being. (Thanks! The price of your 109 and Stuka has just gone up...)

The FOD covers are only held on with Blu-Tak, as they need to come off again for decalling. If anybody has an ALPS printer I'd be grateful to hear from you - the lettering is already arranged and sized, it just needs printing.

Anybody?

Cheers,

Dean

Ongoing, Mike. I'm in the process of trying to find someone who can print white letters on clear decal sheet for me. I saw somebody recently put out a request for the same thing and hasn't had any replies, so I'm not hopeful. I tried printing on white sheet with a red background, but after several attempts decided there was no way I was going to match the decal red to the red already on the FOD covers. Then I tried printing yellow letters on a clear background (the only reference photo I have is monochrome, so they could have been yellow...) but when I applied the decal the yellow was absolutely invisible! Back to the drawing board.

I thought people might be interested to see it 99.9% finished, and most people aren't as eagle eyed as you so I thought I'd keep quiet about it for the time being. (Thanks! The price of your 109 and Stuka has just gone up...)

The FOD covers are only held on with Blu-Tak, as they need to come off again for decalling. If anybody has an ALPS printer I'd be grateful to hear from you - the lettering is already arranged and sized, it just needs printing.

Anybody?

Cheers,

Dean

Dean,

If you have no joy finding a white printer you could try what I did for the white names on my "spotty" Jag build - Take a photo as close up as you can of the FOD covers, import the photo into Photoshop and use the red as background for your white text. When printed on white decal paper the red should be a perfect match. It may take a few tweeks of the colour settings to get it spot on but it does work.

HTH,

Ian

Dean,

If you have no joy finding a white printer you could try what I did for the white names on my "spotty" Jag build - Take a photo as close up as you can of the FOD covers, import the photo into Photoshop and use the red as background for your white text. When printed on white decal paper the red should be a perfect match. It may take a few tweeks of the colour settings to get it spot on but it does work.

HTH,

Ian

Tried something similar Ian...I photographed the FOD covers and used the colour picker in Photoshop to determine the colour composition. Then I tweaked it several shades either side and printed out samples before deciding which one was closest. On the decal paper however, it looked nothing like it!

I think a white printed decal is the way to go on this, but thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,

Dean

I'm in the process of trying to find someone who can print white letters on clear decal sheet for me. I saw somebody recently put out a request for the same thing and hasn't had any replies, so I'm not hopeful.

Hi Dean,

Have you tried Paul Parkes who posts on here offering custom decals. He may use an Alps?

His latest post regarding decals is here;

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...25547&st=20

(post 25 halfway down the page, can't get a direct link to work this morning :doh: )

Keef

Thanks chaps, I knew I'd seen someone on here who did this sort of thing, but couldn't for the life of me remember who it was. I'll see what he can do...

Cheers,

Dean

Thanks Martin.

As for Paul Parkes, he can't print white unfortunately...anybody know anyone with an ALPS printer who might be able to help out?

Cheers,

Dean

Hi Dean,

Great build, not sure if this would work but you could paint the FOD covers white and then print red on to transparent decal sheet with the white of the lettering being transparent?

You would just need to trim the decal to fit the FOD cover.

must say I'm bit fired up to tackle my B.2 after reading some of these.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Dean,

Great build, not sure if this would work but you could paint the FOD covers white and then print red on to transparent decal sheet with the white of the lettering being transparent?

You would just need to trim the decal to fit the FOD cover.

must say I'm bit fired up to tackle my B.2 after reading some of these.

Cheers

Paul

Good suggestion Paul, I must say I've been leaning towards printing them on white sheet with a red background to cover the whole FOD and trimming to suit as you suggest...the only problem is the protruding bullet in the centre of each cover which I'd then have to match the colour of to the decal. Either way, getting the reds to match is going to be difficult.

Needs a bit more thinking about, I reckon...

Cheers,

Dean