Revised subject for group build

Hi all, unfortunately ran out of steam on my Tasca Firefly. Think I may have complicated things with too much aftermarket stuff. Anyway, bought AFV club 1/48 late Tiger at Milton Keynes show and decided to get cracking on it. Havent decided what markings yet but they will be corect for the period.

Lovely out of the box build - have a set of Friulmodel tracks on the way as I didnt fancy the looks of the rubber band tracks provided with kit which wouldnt give the distinctive sag. Anyway here it is to date with a coat of Halfords finest. Cant believe the detail they get onto these things at this scale.

Looking forwards to a crack at German camo...Neil

tiger1.jpg

tiger2.jpg

tiger3.jpg

Very nice. Will be interested to see how the scheme pans out, as I always spray the dark yellow first. However, don't stress over doing the scheme freehand, just go with the flow! :D

Did think of spraying yellow first, but as there seems to be around 60/40 green/red brown with only thin demarcation lines of dk yellow. Could have started with yellow and covered with darker colours just leaving yellow exposed. Hopefully yellow should cover green okay as long as I slap enough on!!

Cheers Neil

S'funny over last few months have taken a real interest in Tigers. Bought a load of references to read and study - though dont pretend to really understand how the regiments were organised. Still a great Sherman fan but didnt really have much more of interest to learn about them (I know that nobody will ever know everything about them) so looked for something new to learn about and the Tiger did nicely. Saw the Tigers first public outing at Bovington - brilliant .New interest then bought new challenges of learning paint colurs, camouflage styles - a change from Olive and Khaki drab...Neil

S'funny over last few months have taken a real interest in Tigers. Bought a load of references to read and study - though dont pretend to really understand how the regiments were organised. Still a great Sherman fan but didnt really have much more of interest to learn about them (I know that nobody will ever know everything about them) so looked for something new to learn about and the Tiger did nicely. Saw the Tigers first public outing at Bovington - brilliant .New interest then bought new challenges of learning paint colurs, camouflage styles - a change from Olive and Khaki drab...Neil

You know, there's 'something' about the Tiger. I think everybody with an interest in armour, must build at least one!

I'm looking forward to your progress with this one - am assuming you're doing a machine from Wittmann's unit?

They do have a real prescence don't they. Went down to Bovington at the end of March, and when you walk into the Tamiya Hall, there it is just sort of sitting there like it owns the place.

Can't imagine the effect it must have had when it appeared in Africa. It looks 'bad' enough stationary, but having it coming at you firing, must have been a real nightmare.

Hi, all Tamiya at the moment.. Ive tried Model Air paint but couldnt get on with. Any ideas what I should thin it with - I used water. Would like to try them agin as I have a full set of Panzer colours..Neil

Tamiya you say? Nice, and I'm liking the brown, as their colour call outs for the red brown seem a tad dark to me. As to thinning, I have a bottle of Halfords screen wash (it's a semi luminous green, but it won't affect the final colour) which I thin it with, and now add Windsor and Newton acrylic retarder to stop it drying on the airbrush needle.

Nice tip...I shall bear that in mind with my Stug and Panther. I always thought the shades out the pot were too dark. However, what with the crews mixing the paints in the field, you could, theoretically, have any hue you wanted.

Agreed - i'm not going to beat myself up too much over shades. By the time its had some washes, hopefully they'll be well faded. Looks a bit stark at the moment. Not into muddying stuff up, will give wheels/tracks a light dusting of mud shades - got a nice warhammer shade of dirt. Might see about some pigments at Hendon on Sunday. First German build - lots to learn.

After a coat of Klear got round to adding decals - turret numbers very fine white outlined numbers fell to pieces as soon as I touched them despite very careful soaking and testing before trying to remove them. Just about managed to get crosses and turret bin number off but even that broke in half. Anyone else had problems with AFV club decals?

Edited by Derbyeomanry