Hostile Skies

Col.

Read this on the 'plane to and from Crete. It's a cracking read and an interesting change of perspective to 'Sharky' Ward's book. Morgan is very frank about the effect war had upon him in a way that Ward never could be and this made me warm to him, something of the 'flawed hero' about his character gives the impression he is telling the absolute truth as he knows it in his account of life during the War.

Mind you, don't know if the title would gain it too many other impulse buyers at the WH Smith's in Gatwick airport.

• 1 month later...

Sounds interesting Col. I'll buy a copy if/when I see it.

Sharky Ward's book was excellent, though very obviously written by a fgighter pilot = not at all opinionated or arrogant! (Though I think he had a right to be, given what he and his squadron achieved.)

He certainly pulled no punches about failings both of his own, the Navy and especially the light blue. Will enjoy reading Dave Morgan's thoughts. At the time I felt that anyone going South with the Sea Harriers must have assumed no-one was coming back, given the odds - taking 'the Few' to extremes - amazed how well they did.

• 4 months later...

I'm just reading Jerry Pooks' RAF Harrier Ground Attack - Falklands book... another opinionated pilot with a serious beef about the RN's activities down south... would be interesting to read these other two.. I'm only half way through but what I'm picking up so far is that the RAF and RN commands did not get on well... although I think the pilot's seemed to respect each other...