HS 125-600B Serial ZF130

Hi. Description says it all really. I'm after reliable measurements for wing span and any fuselage measurements.

My particular interest is ZF130 (The Sea Harrier FA2 radar trials a/c) which as you'd expect has an extended nose ahead of frame 1.

I can only find a few pictures of this on airliners.net and none on jetphotos.net so any other references anyone knows of would be most welcome.

Cheers,

Kirk

Edited by Kirk

OK - I managed to dig out wingspan (54'4") & length (51'2") and a great cutaway here but have more inane questions about ZF130:

1) Did it have wing serial numbers on the underside and if so are they the 350mm tall variety?

2) Where is the doppler panel located and is it the same item as on the FA2?

3) Any idea why the fin appears to be taped to the fuselage????

Thanks to anyone with a view :-)

OK - I managed to dig out wingspan (54'4") & length (51'2") and a great cutaway here but have more inane questions about ZF130:

1) Did it have wing serial numbers on the underside and if so are they the 350mm tall variety?

2) Where is the doppler panel located and is it the same item as on the FA2?

3) Any idea why the fin appears to be taped to the fuselage????

Thanks to anyone with a view :-)

Working on the same myself!!

1) It did have underwing serials - on the port wing at least. (From memory only there) Need to check Vertical Reality as it had an underside shot.

2) The Doppler panel is installed at the front of the wing box fairing. It's the same as the FA2 one, but mounted on a little plinth

3) Ofetn wondered that myself. It was on both sides of the fin.

BTW, the starboard pilots position had SHAR cockpit items installed.

STarboard wing had a missile pylon and there was an extra inlet on the post side of the nose.

PM me if you want to discuss 'other' refernces!!

Edited by Dave Fleming

I'm progressing well with this research but now struggling to get some info about the markings.

I know that many UK fast jets wing serials are 350mm (14"?) high, but I think that the ones on a 125 are larger.

Problem is, I can't find a decent pic of the underside of an RAF 125 of this period to guess how much larger or work out how they are aligned (e.g. with the wing trailing edge?).

Does anyone out there know?

I'm progressing well with this research but now struggling to get some info about the markings.

I know that many UK fast jets wing serials are 350mm (14"?) high, but I think that the ones on a 125 are larger.

Problem is, I can't find a decent pic of the underside of an RAF 125 of this period to guess how much larger or work out how they are aligned (e.g. with the wing trailing edge?).

Does anyone out there know?

I have a couple which show that (roughly!!) but not in detail

Email inbound about the other stuff - been away!

Edited by Dave Fleming

Hi again. I'm now a bit stuck with sorting out the nose:

KDHS125Nose.jpg

The red line overlay is from a different source pic than the main picture, supposedly at the same scale - and as you can see they're a mile apart. Does anyone know the diameter and/or length of an FA2's radome or any of the reference dimensions of an HS 125-600?

(I'm kinda betting that all the best BAe Systems aircraft designers hang out here :) - or maybe someone with their own Shar they could measure up?).

Kirk

PS/ Mods - how do I move this to "military"?

Edited by Kirk

Hi Kirk.

I have the MDF book on the Sea Harrier which contains some good 'Scale Drawings' in 48th.

I could scan the 'nose' area and with 'appropriate reduction can be made to 72nd.

If this helps then pm me your e-mail addy?

Adrian

Cheers Adrian - now why didn't I think of that?? I've even got the MDF book already. I'll give it a go.

Request stands though if anyone has the real dimensions.

Kirk

PS/ Mods - how do I move this to "military"? (I guess a "Weapons Systems Development Aircraft" isn't really civilian is it?)

• 3 weeks later...

Before I start cutting plastic, anybody spot anything wrong with my sketch worthy of fixing? I know the radio stack is largely missing and the eagle eyed might spot some dodgy looking flight instruments (I used blocks/symbols from previous drawings that were of the right size) but all feedback is welcome.

ZF130CockpitSketch.jpg

Cheers,

Kirk

PS/ Mods - can you move this to "military" for me please? I know its a 125 but its got an AMRAAM simulator & sidewinder control panel...

There is something that looks like a periscope mounted on the left hand side of the SHAR panel, just below the MFD (actually, looks like it is mounted on the floor just in front of it) and the panel half hidden by the MFD is a square with a dial in it. Other than that, it looks pretty good to me!!

Many thanks Dave. The missing instrument turned out to be the cabin altitude control - well spotted.

I think the "periscope thing" is a dummy throttle lever for the HOT(AS) controls. It appears to be missing (probably removed) in the pics I have and I suspect it sits right at the back of the centre console. The "SHAR" pilot sits about 16" further back than the 125 captain.

Anyway, I've tweaked a few other bits and now have this:

ZF130CockpitSketch2.jpg

The MFD still looks a bit off and the centre console a bit wide but considering it is all "by eye" I'm not too disappointed.

Somehow I don't think I have the skill to reproduce most of this detail in a model though it was interesting to do and answered the question "What do you get when you cross a business jet with a single seat fighter?". Damn! just noticed a couple of missing switches...

Edited by Kirk