French aircraft in the RAF

NZKIWI

Frankly I wouldn't know a Potez 631 or 63 or 63-11 if it got up & smacked me in the mouth but a quick look in my refs show that six Potez 63's were used by the RAF - including 699/AX673 & 670/AX672 which were both lost in accidents after a year with the French Fighter Flight. 691 was alloted RAF serial AX691 & SoC in 1941. I hope this is some help.

Can anyone help me discover if the RAF ever used any Potez 631 , I am aware that they did use some Potez 63-11 , but it is the 631 I am interested in ?

Check the recent Mushroom book Potez 63 Series.

Can anyone help me discover if the RAF ever used any Potez 631 , I am aware that they did use some Potez 63-11 , but it is the 631 I am interested in ?

From Aerospace Publishing: 'British Warplanes of WWII' edited by Daniel J March:

"Six Potez 63s were impressed by the RAF, including No 699 (later AX673) and No. 670 (later AX672). Both were destroyed in accidents within a year after beginning service with No2 French (Fighter) Flight. AX670 swung off the runway and hit a sandbank in September 1940 and was soon struck off, and AX673 caught fire soon after take-off and was totally destroyed in the subsequent forced landing and fire. No 691 was given the RAF serial AX691 and was struck off in 1941."

The only other Potez aircraft mentioned are "a few Potez 29s (which) arrived at Heliopolis from Syria in September 1940..."

Hope this helps?

EDIT: Oops- apologies to Graham T - we've obviously got the same references - which I hadn't spotted!! :whistle:

Edited by timbo33

"Six Potez 63s were impressed by the RAF, including No 699 (later AX673) and No. 670 (later AX672). Both were destroyed in accidents within a year after beginning service with No2 French (Fighter) Flight. AX670 swung off the runway and hit a sandbank in September 1940 and was soon struck off, and AX673 caught fire soon after take-off and was totally destroyed in the subsequent forced landing and fire. No 691 was given the RAF serial AX691 and was struck off in 1941."

According to AirMagazine No15 (BTW. excellent one-stop source for all things Potez63-11), those are all 63-11 reconnaissance A/C.

Also mentioned are No's 395/AX680 and 420/AX691.