Hawker Hurricane sub collection

diamant

The Hurricanes all look great! What's the story of the one with the white tail?

And what kind of flying boat is that in the cabinet?

Many thanks ben_m

The Hurricane painted in that way was flew through the Takoradi route.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O129-Takoradiairroute.html

The Flying boat is the Boeing 314. I have posted some pictures of building process here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28950

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Santiago

Many thanks ben_m

The Hurricane painted in that way was flew through the Takoradi route.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O129-Takoradiairroute.html

The Flying boat is the Boeing 314. I have posted some pictures of building process here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28950

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Santiago

Thanks for the information. That flying boat looks amazing- I missed that thread! Such a great result from a vac-form kit. Good luck with the Hurricanes!

Hello Santiago!

There's no stopping you and your Dad, is there? I've said it before, but I'll say it again...what a team!

If anyone ever deserved a foremost place in the annals of modelling history, it would be the Hrubisko Team. Please pass on my best regards to your Dad...and keep on churning 'em out...it's wonderful to see!

All the best,

Tim.

Hi Tim

It is really nice to hear from you again.

Many thanks for your kindly comments regarding our models and current project. We do what we can.

Since my father has his retirement he can spend many hours per day on his workbench. :-)

I will give your regards to him. Actually we tried to contact you some months ago but the emails came back. Do you have the same email address?.

Kind regards

Santiago

Hello to all

As I promised here are better pictures of the latest Hurricane finished.

18) Hurricane Mk I LK/A - P2798 – 87 Sqn - December 1940

370692958.jpg

370692954.jpg

370692953.jpg

370692952.jpg

19) Hurricane Mk I P - P2992 – 527 Sqn -1943

370696782.jpg

370696785.jpg

370696788.jpg

The new model and the one which will be rebuild.

370697693.jpg

20) Hurricane Mk I V7101 – 69 Sqn - May/june 1941

370697229.jpg

370697234.jpg

370697235.jpg

21) Hurricane Mk I V7476 - 1 (APU) – Australia - 1944

370693237.jpg

370693236.jpg

370693234.jpg

370693230.jpg

These 4 Hurricane together

370697231.jpg

The next batch will include the following four Hurricanes

1) Hurricane Mk I W9266 - 274 Sqn - Gerawla, Egypt - 25/05/1941 flew by the Anglo-Argentine pilot F/L Dudley Honor DFC.

2) Hurricane Mk I P3818 - 3 Sqn - Benina - Mar-41

3) Hurricane Mk X AG244 - Central Flying School, RRAF, Based at Norton Air Base, Rhodesia - 1945

4) Hurricane Mk I V7476 - Point Cook - 1946

Kind regards

Santiago Hrubisko

simply gorgeous , i much prefer the hurri to the spit !! although the spit is a gorgeous machine and the sight and sound of them fills you with pride and goosebumps ..

the spit seemed as if it was 5 yrs early being ahead of it's time !!! .

the hurri just seems to be a plane of the time and a more workmanlike rugged machine !!

Edited by tornado64

Hi

Many thanks guys for your coments.

simply gorgeous , i much prefer the hurri to the spit !! although the spit is a gorgeous machine and the sight and sound of them fills you with pride and goosebumps ..

I like both but since we already made the spitfire collection ( http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2003...ko_spitfire.htm

) we believed it was time for doing the Hurricane one. :-)

Cheers

Sanitago

Edited by diamant

Hi

My father has started to paint these 4 Hurricane and here are some pictures of how they look so far.

1) Hurricane Mk I W9266 - 274 Sqn - Gerawla, Egypt - 25/05/1941 flew by the Anglo-Argentine pilot F/L Dudley Honor DFC.

2) Hurricane Mk I P3818 - 3 Sqn - Benina - Mar-41

3) Hurricane Mk X AG244 - Central Flying School, RRAF, Based at Norton Air Base, Rhodesia - 1945

4) Hurricane Mk I V7476 - Point Cook - 1946

371398323.jpg

371398314.jpg

371398319.jpg

371398322.jpg

Cheers

Santiago

Hello to all

The latest batch of four Hurricanes is done. Here are two group pictures and the individuals ones.

371628656.jpg

Hurricane Mk I W9266 - 274 Sqn - Gerawla, Egypt - 25/05/1941 flew by the Anglo-Argentine pilot F/L Dudley Honor DFC.

371638801.jpg

371638806.jpg

371638803.jpg

371638811.jpg

Hurricane Mk I P3818 - 3 Sqn - Benina - Mar-41

371628655.jpg

371637978.jpg

371628660.jpg

371637976.jpg

371637979.jpg

Hurricane Mk X AG244 - Central Flying School, RRAF, Based at Norton Air Base, Rhodesia - 1945

371615144.jpg

371615151.jpg

371615147.jpg

371615146.jpg

Hurricane Mk I V7476 - Point Cook - 1946

371638231.jpg

371638237.jpg

371638228.jpg

371638227.jpg

Two out of three schemes camouflage of the V7476

371616552.jpg

These are the latest 4 Hurricane Mk I which we are going to include in this series. After these 4 Hurricane we will move on to the Mk II version.

Hurricane Mk I L1711 – 1 SAAF Sqn - Waterkloof Air Station – March 1939

Hurricane Mk I PO/X P2632 – 46 Sqn - HMS Gloriosus – May 1940

Hurricane Mk I ¿¿?? - ¿¿?? - Fuka, Egypt – May 1941 (with the cannons on the upper surface of the wings)

Hurricane Mk I HILLSON SLIP WING F.H. 40 – Boscombe Down 1943.

Kind regards

Santiago

Many thanks for looking and writting.

Yes, but this is a Italian style camouflage made with "points" instead of the common "lines" ones.

The next batch of Hurricane will include one with the latter style.

Cheers

Santiago

Hi

As I explained before all the information related with the Anglo-Argentine pilots that we have came from the book “Wings of thunder”. This book deals with the histories of Argentine Volunteer Aircrews in the RAF and RCAF during the Second World War.

Now that Claudio Meunier (author of that book) kindly gave me the permission to post here some paragraphs of his book, I am able to share with you the following as regard the Hurricane Mk I W9266 flew by F/L Dudley Honor DFC.

Reference: “Wings of thunder” (authors Claudio Meunier and Oscar Rimondi), chapter 7 “Quilmeño”,

In 25 May 1941 Honor accredited in this machine a SM-79 and a JU 52 over Maleme, Creta.

In the afternoon of the 25 May, the air raid sirens sound at the aerodrome of Maleme. The German were witness to a brave and spectacular attack. Two Hurricane from the RAF appeared flying low over the aerodrome firing as they went, flying at full speed. One of the Hurricane burst into flame having been hit by the flak, but kept on flying, the other went on safety. This was one flown by F/L Honor…………..

“F/L Hugh Down and I left the base at Sidi Banani in experimental long range Hurricane on May 24 to go over and ground strafe Maleme aerodrome…… As we crossed over the mountains there were so many enemy aircraft in the sky that I was undecided of whether to have a craft at the one in the air or to carry at my original orders….I decided to attack at the two aircrafts that were landing. I thought they were probably full of the troops and equipment…..I opened fired at two thousand yards and continued firing as I approached the aerodrome. ….. As I passed over the northern Boundary of the aerodrome the anti aerial guns opened up…… I think I passed the barrier before the shells actually burst. The second Hurricane apparently ran into the flak screen. I did not see F/L Hugh Down again.

I pulled up to the line of the transport airplanes head on. I managed to get up to the same height as the leading airplane. It was a Italian SM79. I gave it a very short burst at dead range. It burst into flame and went straight down into the sea. I carried a straight on and had a crack at the second Ju52. I saw him as he turned over on his back and hit the water. Suddenly there was a series of explosion and my control was gone. A Me110 had attached me from underneath and behind…………… I was not able to outturn the attack because my elevator was badly damage…………. The Me 110 must have used up all his ammunitions without hitting me again because he sheered off. ………….. A Me 109F then took up the fight……… After about 5 minutes one of the Me109F burst hit me in the engine. There was a terrible band and an awful smell of cordite in the cockpit…. I steered straight ahead to make a landing on the water at high speed (120 M/h)….. I went down to forty feet before I realized what was happening. I opened the hood which luckily had not jammed. I was wearing a German Mae West captured in the Battle of Britain from the rear gunner of a Ju 87 Stuka destroyed by my squadron… The German Mae West inflates automatically. If I had been wearing the old British Mae West I might have been drowned because in my breathless state I would not probably have been able to blow in it……………..

……The Greek told us that a flying boat had landed on the water. They had signaled SOS as he passed. This raised my hopes again. What I had thought was an aircraft taking off was, in fact, a second Sunderland landing. I took over the flash lamp from the Greeks and signaled, in Morse; RAF here.

“Swim for it”, a voice shouted.

“I can’t “ I shouted back. “I’m done”.

I could not swim because my arms were raw.………..

On boarding the Sunderland, I was told that it was only by the merest chance that it had landed at the very spot. It had come out from Egypt to take off General Weston and his staff from Sphakia. The crew were watching the coast for signals and had landed at the wrong place, misled by the SOS from the Greeks. I directed them down the coast to Sphokia. We taxied on the water the whole way.

There were took on General Weston and his staff. They were absolutely exhausted. The wireless operator of the Sunderland gave me a packed of Woodbines. They tasted sweeter than any cigarettes I had ever smoked. I gave one to the general and sat smoking the others while I had six cups of tea. We arrived at Alexandria just before dawn. After breakfast next morning

I managed to borrow a plane and flew back to the desert-without shaving. There, I rejoined my Squadron”………….

Un quote

Honor had some Hurricanes in which they carried the inscription “Boo” below the cockpit, but there are no photographic evidences. This was the nickname of her wife. The size and color of the inscription in this model are only our interpretation.

I hope you enjoy it.

Kind regards

Santiago