P-38 F-5E

gcn

Right second build of this GB although it could be touch and go to get this one complete in time.

I've had this P-38 in the stash for a while so I thought i'd have a go at the recon version.

Aftermarket goodies are True detals cockpit and wheels and some aeromaster decals.

AMA48546.jpg

PICT2001.jpg

PICT2007.jpg

PICT2003.jpg

cockpit was a joy and fitted with ease. the wheels and undercarriage have been painted and just need assembling then some touching up.

If feel I have some sanding and filling ahead though.

I am tempted to put full stripes on the wings as well as the booms, I would be right in thinking the did start June 6th like that.

Really lovely work Gary,

Makes me feel a bit sick about mine, which is fighting me all the way. I realise now there is a lot of difference between the Minicraft kit and the Academy one. Your cockpit looks like it went in like a dream whereas mine looks .....errm less dreamy :whistle:

Really lovely detailing too mate - looking forward to your progress on this. :thumbsup:

thanks Tim. The cockpit is from True Details and went straight in. As an introduction to resin cockpits I can't think there are any simpler.

The past week has been spent fillling, scribing, priming, filling............

Wheels, undercarriage and propellers are all done too so i'm fairly confident of hitting the deadline for this now.

Should be at the stage to get the final primer coat on and then a black coat by the end of tomoorow night.

Hopefully on Thursday I can get my full D-Day stripes on and then hit the weekend with the PRU Blue. ( they did have full stripes and not just on the Booms didn't they right at the start of the operation.)

The canopy was a shocker so its of to Hannants for a vac one.

ok little update although not too much to view.

Model was primed with Mr surfacer 1000 thinned with their levelling thinner. Then it was given a full coating in Tamiya black thinned with Celulose thinner and boy does that show up fingerprints, s'pose I shouldn't have eaten the kebab while modelling.

D-day stripes painted and masked (i've been masking all week)

PICT2021.jpg

I just painted a wing tip to play around. I've used Xtracrylix PRU blue as a base and sprayed it in lines and then I lightened it with RLM65. The panel lines remain black, well almost so will only need a little touching up when complete.

That stripy pattern is what I'm goinging for

PICT2020.jpg

PICT2022.jpg

Hopefully it'll rain tomorrow and i'll be able to get the rest done.

Edited by gcn

managed to get a good couple of hours in today.

Some touching up required on the white but not too bad

PICT2023.jpg

PICT2024.jpg

PICT2026.jpg

despite a ton of flow enhancer the hot weather really dries that xtracrylix on the tip. Nice colour though

thanks for the comments, much appreciated

Does anyone know who in the UK stocks the squadron canopy for the Academy kit part no# SQ9607. I've already bought 1 canopy pack from Hannants that didn't list whether it was kit specific but when I got it arrived it clearly stated it was for the monogram kit and there was no way on this earth it would fit. Hannants have the Falcon set but I could do without spending another tenner on a load of canopies i'm never going to use.

still can't manage to take a decent photo but these give an idea of where we're at

Decals put on and sealed with another coat of Klear. One side I fixed the decals onto wet klear the other was the micro set/sol combo. Both methods caused the decals to snuggle down quite nicely but with the klear method it was a case of get it right first time as its akin to fixing with super glue so the sol/set is my preferred route.

PICT2041.jpg

PICT2042.jpg

PICT2044.jpg

next up a wash in the panel lines then out with the ab to put some Tamiya smoke around the panel lines and get those exhausts weathered