1:32 Lockheed EC-121K Constellation/Warning Star

Dergrunpunkt,

If I am not mistaken that Airfix Connie is the same one as used by Heller for their Warning Star Model (which is as reare as Hen's teeth these days). So with some work on the Engines and some (large radomes) you should be in business mate. My EC-121K model is earlier on in this thread built from the Heller kit.

Iain - Great work keep it up and keep the piccies coming .

Cheers

Ian S.

Hiya folks - thanks for comments - as said before - it's the interest shown that helps with the motivation - all comments really appreciated!

Dergrunpunkt - do you *really* need this thread as an excuse? The Consetellation is such a beautiful aeroplane it just shouts 'build one'! :wub::)

If you need any info at any point I've been gathering quite a bit of info/reference links - so just shout. :)

I do have a Heller Warning Star (as illustrated in previous posts) and I'll probably sell on - but only once this one's done - so that may be a while ;)

Picked up a couple of Revell 1:144 kits going cheap a few months back in TKMax - will have a crack at those at some point for fun.

No progress this weekend - White Waltham families day yesterday (village fete meets small air display - and the Waltham Wobblers - four PA28s in formation - ace!) and busy trying not to set fire to the house today with a new butane torch that refuses to behave - if it had I may have had the beginnings of some undercarriage legs...

More soon!

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

AH the grand life of a happy villager, eating, sky showing and nearly burning down the house. What a life-what joy

ER- sorry Iain-got caught up in a moment of silly icon_smile_clown.gif

Seriously great job, on the work to date.

Radar: been doing some research and Ec-121 and Connie kits share a fair amount of parts and the fuselage shape is the same, so I can use my airfix kit to make a EC-121.

Iain: Well, you know guys how this works, we don't really "need" anything despite our sayings, so I must admit I used you as an excuse to buy that Connie, but... your influence here is undeniable because you reminded me this beautiful airplane I fell in love many years ago. I think I'm going to buy an EC-121 so I can have both military and commercial versions, but I have to give that a thought.

Keep up that fine brilliant job!

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

<fx waves> :)

Thanks for continued interest folks...

Have made a little progress - undercarriage legs underway courtesy of a selection of brass tube and solder.

Nose wheels - I think I now have that sorted from another kit - they look the same size/type as the main wheels on a Corsair/Avenger?

Engines - have a ZM Skyraider on order for collection at Telford - then I'll crack open some rubber and cast copies.

No promises - but will try and post some progress shots this weekend :)

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

I thought Trumpeter was doing the 32nd scale Skyraider...I must have got my wires crossed!

Iain, what was the foam you used..I need some for the Me-109 I'm doing but don't want to buy the wrong sort lol...TIA!

Trumpeter do have it on their lists - but I can't wait and the ZM one is likely to have fewer 'glitches' :)

I also have two built examples of the Panther resin kit in one of my cabinets :)

Foam - I use two-pack - although for some applications the single part spray insulation foam found in DIY stores can be useful - but has disadvantage that it doesn't always dry all the way through very quickly and can carry on expanding over time.

The two pack stuff can be sourced from Tiranti.

HTH :)

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

ZM Skyraider available to pre-order for Telford via the IPMS UK website. :devil:

12th September 2011

Zoukei-Mura Inc. announce show prices for IPMS members and invite pre orders

Zoukei Mura are bringing limited stock of their aircraft kits and have announced their show prices for IPMS members.

Available:

11 Shindens at £60 each

15 TA 152 at £75 each

18 A1 skyraiders at £100 each

Please email Richard Kent if you are interested in any of these kits, if there is sufficient demand they may be able to bring more.

Details of the kits are here.

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

• 1 month later...
For anyone interested in Constellations - or commercial flying of a bygone era I give you:

Lovely, thanks for sharing, of course I'd rather you gave us an updated progress on the Connie. Or your Lightning corrections. Or... :tease:

Thanks for the KUTA! ;)

Iain

Never a problem Iain. Just remember, however, every time I'm one here pestering you to get on with some modelling I'm not doing any myself :(

• 2 months later...
Going to try and get rubber moulds made up from the ZM Skyraider engine this w/e - family all ill - so quiet weekend at home fettling...

Iain

Hi Iain,

I'll be interested to see how you get on with this.

I've go the ID 1/32nd B-29 and have been trying to source some engines. Could I be bold enough to ask you to do me a set of 4? I'll obviously cover all costs.

Tom

If by OK you mean excruciatingly slowly - then, er, yes, she is ;)

Iain

Yeah and not to many problems for you to give up lol, somthing that big and complex is. Even the smallest of 1/144 models for me take a month approx bit thats just because I only get 1 day a week to do my kits.