1:32 Lockheed EC-121K Constellation/Warning Star

Yes, yes, yes, yes....

YES!

Much time saved - just a little trimming back needed:

re2005621.JPG

Still a couple of voids - but in places that will be hidden.

Happy, happy, happy :)

This is what I love about projects like this - learning new stuff along the way...

Iain

Impressive work, Iain! Having just those little overflow stubs to trim off off certainly looks easier than having to fill in the bubbles/voids.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

This afternoons 'production' - some cleaned up a little - many with minor flaws - but probably enough to make four good engines.

Plan is to have three cowled - and one more detailed unit with cowls open - we'll see.

Bit of progress anyway!

re2005622.JPG

Iain

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Crikey- hadn't realised Breitling Connie was putting in appearance - anyone know if it will be in the static?

Wasn't going to go this year (even though local to us) but may have to reconsider...

No progress of late - trying to get the Skyraider done for magazine article...

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Ah - OK - that saves ticket in vain hope...

Will keep an eye out though - we're under the Northern holding area so get lots of the bigger stuff loitering in our overhead before running in to display.

As we have a larger stand area at Telford this year for the 32SIG there should be space to have the project (so far as she is by then) on display.

Iain

As we have a larger stand area at Telford this year for the 32SIG there should be space to have the project (so far as she is by then) on display.

Iain

Great! That means we can all come and nag you in person! :evil_laugh:

Martin

PS: Work harder! :poke:

No progress of late - trying to get the Skyraider done for magazine article...

Iain

Race you... I'm at the final stages of looking at trillions of ordnance options, worrying about weathering those distinctive exhaust stains, removing copious amounts of overspray, considering decal choices... Actually, I think you're going to be first!

It's a frustrating thing, isn't it? Some bits fly together, some bits (e.g. the stabilisers) don't.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Had a few hiccups with the Spad - but generally coming together pretty well. Horizontal stabs didn't fit at first - but a few passes with the scalpel on one side on mine seemed to do the trick! You're ahead of me for sure - not yet at the primer stage (hopefully at the weekend).

Martin - please feel free to come over and nag - I need it! ;)

It's not so much about working harder - it's a lack of time and other projects on the go (along with more DIY at the moment than you can shake a stick at...).

One day... :innocent:

Iain

• 1 month later...

As it wasn't raining this afternoon I grabbed a few hours to work on Connies wings...

Spar measured up and fitted (60 thou sheet) and the wing upper and lower halves bonded.

Packing tape run along the leading edge to act as a 'mould' for polyeurethane resin to seep through any gaps (of which there were many) and form a solid leading edge section on the inside of the wing.

Started more sanding but - ooops - smoke poured out of my bench sander - I think it's now an ex bench sander!

Rough piccies - a little progress at least:

re2005721.JPG

re2005722.JPG

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Wow, progress, fantastic! Glad to see you using your time on worthwhile things rather than cutting grass.

Edited by Col.
  • Like 1

Working out next stages in my head:

1. Fill wings with foam and get surfaces good

2. Cut out lower fuselage and make centre section spars so that wings can be slotted in place

3. Cut out main gear bays

4. Correct and fit cowl fairings to wings

Enough to be going on with - here's a quick looksee this evening - can you tell what it is yet?? :)

re2005723.JPG

re2005724.JPG

re2005725.JPG

re2005726.JPG

re2005727.JPG

Have fun!

Iain

...here's a quick looksee this evening - can you tell what it is yet?? :)

Yes. HUGE! :D

Great to see all the main parts laid out together Iain.

I know this thing must be big but it's difficult to get an idea of the size, maybe if you could stand beside it or lean against the tail fin we could get an idea of size! Amazing work Iain.