1:32 Lockheed EC-121K Constellation/Warning Star

Just when you thought it was safe!!!!........I was wondering if you'd ever get around to working on the Connie again! I can recall the trials and tribulations on the 32SIG site all of those years ago - nice to see it getting the full scale (well 1/32) treatment Iain!!

Iain, this is amazing and I'm glad I took the time this evening to get myself back up to speed with this, it's looking fantastic!

• 2 weeks later...

Keep going Iain, have just read through this thread again and think you are doing a brilliant job, not one I fancy doing,although I do have a couple of Vacforms in the stash, hope its not too long before the next instalment of 'Tales of the Connie'.

Jim

Well - spent two hours today on the wings - not a lot to show - but progress non the less.

There will be an update with pix at the weekend - promise!

And - thanks all for the encouragement!

Plan is to at least have an airframe on display at Telford in November...

Radleigh - what's this dastardly plan involving vacs that you have?

• 3 weeks later...

OK - off for a week - so in-between DIY and working on Lightning parts I shall be working on Connie - in fact - I'm wading in now for an hour or two of plastic mayhem...

:)

Iain

Not very exciting - but progress none-the-less...

Wing upper surfaces have been closed off with plastic sheet and the inner faces filled with Polyurethane Resin ready for a session on the bench sander tomorrow to restore the outer surfaces. What's on the inside won't be seen (fortunately! ;))

re2005345.JPG

Looks simple - but has taken a lot of work to get this done (those wings aren't small!)

Dreading the lowers...

Iain

http://www.modelsolutions.ca/Sounds/Conste...tartandIdle.mp3

:)

I think just getting an airframe done will be challenge enough - but there is a company in Canada doing a sound kit for the Connie.

I've seen another somewhere - but bu**ered if I can find it...

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

And so far today I have mostly been getting covered in sanding dust - let me introduce you to the three sanding tools of the apocalypse:

re2005346.JPG

Bench sander great for heavy duty mullering, Mouse for smoothing off and foam sanding blocks for extra finesse.

re2005347.JPG

Wing tips added - and correct length attained. Tips will need reshaping though...

re2005348.JPG

After a couple of hours of hevy duty sanding the leading edges are almost perfectly restored. Further refinement after the top and bottom sections are joined.

re2005349.JPG

Tip tanks blended together with the Mouse - now a nice shape and correct length! Just need to refine shapes of the tails - then primer and scribing.

re2005350.JPG

Mouse used to smooth off filler on the tails - shapes coming along nicely (if slowly!)

re2005351.JPG

A start is made on the canopy blank.

More later (possibly...)

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

How do you maintain interest in something like this. So much work before you have anything tangible to show for it. You must be the king of willpower. Respect!

Erm - hardly the king of willpower! (started this in 2000!)

But - yes - it is hard keeping enthusiasm going - that's the main reason for the build thread I guess - I embarrass myself into feeding it with new images - which = progress (albeit a little at a time...)

Iain

• 4 weeks later...

I, like some before, have just discovered your build. The work, thought and planning to date is amazing and inspiring.

So a hearty Congratulations, on the work.a9d6fd58.gif

Oh and don't let "them" get on you about taking so long........'course I have retired since you startedgetsmileyCAV71FIZ.gif, but hay! quality takes timehalo.gif

good god man, thats some serious sanding, must of been fun lol.

Power tools are *always* fun! :)

Haven't quite worked out how to use my circular saw on it yet - but give it time!!! :devil:

Oh and don't let "them" get on you about taking so long........'course I have retired since you startedgetsmileyCAV71FIZ.gif, but hay! quality takes timehalo.gif

And I'll be retired by the time she's finished at this rate (possibly) ;)

Further progress made - I'll post pics over the weekend.

Iain

• 1 month later...

Iain,

fist of all thanks for sharing this HUGE project with us, I wish you the best here needless is to say you're doing a great job, keep the hard work I'm pretty sure all your effort will be rewarded at the end. To finish I want to let you know that thanks to you I remembered this great aircraft and got one for me (in 1/72nd) unfortunately it's going to be some time stored due a space problems.

cheers

Luis

Hi Iain, Its coming along great keep it up, one question though what expanable foam do you use, do find any problems with using it such as splitting joints, as I may use this on my 1/72 Vickers Vanguard wings