1:32 Lockheed EC-121K Constellation/Warning Star

OK - about an hours actual work today - more filler/shaping on the fins - and more to come.

Hopefully make a start on etch artwork later this week - but in preparation found two more sources of useful images (I'm turning into a Connie anorak!!):

http://personalpages.tdstelme.net/~westin/batcat9.htm

http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/c-121/c-121_all.shtml

Iain (spending more time researching than building atm...)

• 2 months later...

Iain,

hopefully the pictures and measurements that I sent you years ago from the Warner Robins Museum EC-121 came in handy. The build looks great and I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Bruce

OK - about an hours actual work today - more filler/shaping on the fins - and more to come.

Hopefully make a start on etch artwork later this week - but in preparation found two more sources of useful images (I'm turning into a Connie anorak!!):

http://personalpages.tdstelme.net/~westin/batcat9.htm

http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/c-121/c-121_all.shtml

Iain (spending more time researching than building atm...)

Hiya Bruce,

Apologies - only just spotted your post!

Have dropped you a (belated) email.

Yes - that disk you sent me all those years ago is sat here on my desk and is proving extremely useful!! :)

Have made a start on the etch artwork (first time I've done this - but looks a straightforward - if somewhat slooow) process.

If there's anyone out there that also has a 1:32 Connie (or 1:48) and would like a copy of the etch when done - please shout!

Iain

• 8 months later...

Ello folks - me again - just like bad penny my Connie project pops it's head above the parapet at Telford - opening it's master slave up to much ridicule and banter! :)

tel10134.JPG

tel10135.JPG

tel10136.JPG

Update is I *have* made some progress on Photo-Etch design - when I have something suitable to show I'll post here. But Telford was useful in that I now have the offer of some resin engines for her.

Oh - and as John 'Tigger' Wilkes has the patterns - we may be able to get a few more run off. Just want to check the wings as initial findings were they were short in span - so we may do some 'tweaks' to the patterns.

Iain

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
Has this had any more progress? Just came across the thread looking for something else! Love Connies, so egar to see this done. :)

Don't be silly! He's only been working on this for eleven years; don't rush the guy!

Martin

Don't be silly! He's only been working on this for eleven years; don't rush the guy!

Martin

Yeah - I hate being rushed!! ;)

Not completely stalled - still drawing up artwork for the etch...

Iain <suitably embarrassed>

Lovely pic and very useful!

OK - suitably prodded I shall endeavor to do some more to Connie this month - please nag me if you don't see any updates before end of May... :)

Iain

Lovely pic and very useful!

OK - suitably prodded I shall endeavor to do some more to Connie this month - please nag me if you don't see any updates before end of May... :)

Iain

Don't worry Iain, I will if nobody else does and I can nag for Britain! If it helps I can ask Gill if she will nag you as well and she is even better at it than me. :whip:

Martin

PS: Just get modelling! This build is making my TSR2 look like a Blitzbau!

NAG, NAG, NAG, NAG, NAG, :whip::whip::whip: I know i'm early, it ain't the end of May yet, but i really want to see this beauty in it's full glory. :worthy::worthy::worthy:

Mick

Edited by smyfe

Question Iain... Are you going to airbrush it? Or use cans... Was thinking about this today. You could probably get away with using a 'touch in' gun for something this size to get a decent finish (no dry lines etc). I did think about a full on Devillbiss gravity gun like I use in work but it may be overkill.

Out in the garage I have slightly more 'industrial grade' spray equipment than the airbrushes (comes with having motorcycles and classic cars) - will probably use that to get a good overall finish - then airbrushes for detail.

Only tend to use cans for priming stages...

Of course - that's presuming I ever get that far! :frantic:

Iain

Guess so - although we'll prolly be in a new venue by then!

Now - who resurrected this embarrassing thread I wonder? It's been picked up over on LSP and I'm getting nagged there too now!!! :frantic:

OK - well - I've dug Connie out of the loft and I'm currently fondling her ( :wub: ) whilst I watch Ice Pilots :)

Iain

Out in the garage I have slightly more 'industrial grade' spray equipment than the airbrushes (comes with having motorcycles and classic cars) - will probably use that to get a good overall finish - then airbrushes for detail.

Only tend to use cans for priming stages...

Of course - that's presuming I ever get that far! :frantic:

Iain

Yeah that is handy.. If you need anything, I might be able to help when you get to that stage. :)

OK - today I have mostly been printing out scans of the Heller Constellation - enlarged by 225% - and stuck together to compare with the kit supplied plans and the parts.

To be honest I *have* been putting this off because I was concerned about what I'd find.

re2005207.JPG

Kit dyelines and the scans. Good news is that the fuselages match very well. 109 is there to give a sense of size (also 1:32).

re2005208.JPG

Yup - it's big (kitchen floor safest place to lay everything out).

re2005209.JPG

Fuselage half laid over the scans - rather good likeness actually!!

re2005210.JPG

Just some tweaks to the rear shape-wise - and I was already expecting this. Will also cure the somewhat 'blunt' ending to the fuselage in plan as moulded.

re2005211.JPG

Wings - if you recall I had my doubts as to the span as moulded - and the spacing between cowlings - based upon comparison with the kit drawings. Well, the scans of the Heller kit agree perfectly on how far out the cowl spacing is - but also suggest the outer wing sections are even shorter that first thought.

It's also highlighted the tip tanks being way oversize - out with the razor saw!

Have already got my 'cut and shut' planned - may perform that this evening.

re2005212.JPG

Tail fins had been modded as per photos and drawings - and they match the scaled up Heller items nicely - bar a few tweaks :)

Right - off to do some more measuring - and some cutting...

I blame Radleigh <mutter, mutter, mutter...> :)

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)