1:32 Lockheed EC-121K Constellation/Warning Star

OK - some photos - please excuse the dust - and the close-ups show some messy stuff that really doesn't show 'at scale' - if that makes any sense?

Seats - almost there with basic structures/cushions/headrests - need to make the stand for engineers seat from brass rod.

I'll finish detailing then paint them up and add Radu's superb straps later in the week:

IMG_5196.jpg

Cushions are loosely placed - to be fitted after paint and straps:

IMG_5197.jpg

Flight Engineers station - almost there:

IMG_5195.jpg

Where we're at - not that I've lost a bit of photo-etch from centre console - to be fixed:

IMG_5193.jpg

IMG_5194.jpg

Doesn't seem a lot - but on downward slope from here on interior now.

Have fun!

Iain

• Like 14

Seeing the flight engineers station reminded me of something I saw in France. The old deputy curator of the Musee de l'Air was an ex-French Air Force Constellation engineer and he once saw 'his' old Connie stored waiting to be scrapped. He mentioned this to the guys that were scrapping it and thought no more of it. He had gone to the airbase where this was happening to get other stuff for the museum and when it arrived at Meudon, the old museum site, there was an extra box with his name on it. Inside was the complete flight engineers panel which he took home and had in his lounge!

• Like 4

Very nice Iain keep going mate it looks great.

Guy

• 3 weeks later...

Got some work done belore Telford - foam keel bonded in place in starboard fuselage half - followed by floors and cockpit bulkhead. Have also reinstated the missing jointing tabs with thicker styrene sheet.

IMG_4178_zpsonqjg5sw.jpg

IMG_4181_zpsbmaiypvi.jpg

IMG_4182_zpsq0ldmmvr.jpg

Rear floor bonded - and automotive wheel weights used to keep flat whilst the epoxy goes off:

IMG_4183_zps6g4j5vmo.jpg#

Fuselage dry assembled with spar - so we can work out the amount of weight needed to prevent Connie being a tail sitter:

IMG_4184_zpsxbmvb4y5.jpg

Balanced on a pair of upturned mugs - with another as a tail support:

IMG_4185_zpsmbh9bxr1.jpg

*Lots* of weight needed (this is in addition to what's already been added internally!

IMG_4186_zpsqf2kmg50.jpg

We have balance!

IMG_4187_zpscomdsxsx.jpg

IMG_4188_zpsuyzefa3p.jpg

Weights packed in behind cockpit bulkhead - all will be hidden:

IMG_4189_zps7fg770ip.jpg

And underneath:

IMG_4190_zpsgqu4fwjo.jpg

Have fun!

Iain

• Like 11

Wheel weights not as good as the old lead ones (they were, obviously, a denser material - and could be trimmed/shaped fairly easily) - but they are useful sizes - 5g and 10g - and have an adhesive foam backing that sticks like crazy! Which makes a lot of sense as they're designed to survive on car wheels :)

I got this batch off Ebay - for a very reasonable £16.50 inc. postage. Not bad for a pack that weighs 6kg!

Iain

All the one's in the photo - yes :)

And still have some wriggle room if needed in the nose cone.

But, at the moment, weight and balance looks good to go...

Undercarriage will be made up from soldered brass tube - so should be up to the job - I hope! :)

Iain

Saw this on the table at Telford, Iain. I did ask after you for a catch-up, but you were probably away shopping!

What a stunning piece of work so far. I couldn't believe how hug the thing is in real life.

Saw this on the table at Telford, Iain. I did ask after you for a catch-up, but you were probably away shopping!

Hi Mark,

Sorry I missed you!

Probably not shopping - most of that was done Fri night/first thing Saturday (and I wasn't planning on buying anything) - but that very naughty Andy @ Antics kept putting temptation in my way... :chair:

And I'm sooo weak...

My *small* haul - mainly from Andy comprised:

1:32 Tamiya Mozzie

1:32 Italeri Mirage IIIC

1:32 Trumpeter Ju 87A

1:32 Kitty Hawk OV-10A

1:32 Revell Ju 88A4

1:32 Meng Me 163B - for one of the mags.

Manic weekend between stand, judging, photographing all the large scale aviation models in the comp and show, talking to manufacturers for an LSP forums news report, magazines about some potential features and, well, just catching up - it was just far too short!!!

Iain

• Like 1

As an aside - HpH have let slip that they have long-term plans for a resin/fibreglass 1:32 Connie.

First thought was to bin this and wait for theirs - but it won't be cheap, won't necessarily be any better when complete than this *could* be and I've invested far to much time and research in this so far to bin it.

What would you guys do?

Amazing what's coming out/planned these days!!

Iain

What would you guys do?

Do you really have to ask?

There is no guarantee that the HpH Connie a ) will ever appear; b ) will appear any time soon (even if a is wrong); c ) will be as good as, let alone better than, yours; d ) will not require the sake of an arm & 50% of your liver capacity.

You have achieved so much already that it would be a crime to stop now.

• Like 1

My cap's in the 'Carry On With The Masterpiece' camp Iain :thumbsup2:

I was kinda awestruck with it as it is and that kind of modelling doesnt seem to translate into resin for me

Please carry on and I'll get the chance to learn from you, if you 'went resin' I'd lose because I am never going to DO any resin kits

Not my scene

Get on with it! And the Ju.52 of course. And the Lightning corrections. And...

Seriously though, you've done far too much beautiful work to waste, who can be sure the proposed kit will ever come about anyway. Although the company would do themselves a massive favour by getting in touch with you to talk about masters for the parts.