kevlar thread for aerofoil rigging

sonofjim

hi chaps i recall over on the wingnut wings thread hier von buckle was asking about availabilty off kevlar thread to

replicate aerodynamic rigging

i just recieved my roll of kevlar thread from cliff harvey angling

looks great nice and smooth not fluffy seems would react to a hot blade for tightening (not sure though)

and is well flat , just thought i'd whack this in here in case anyone else is struggling to find it i know its on evilbay too but i dont go there

my apologis if you chapsalready know a source but the service was excellent

Jim

I sourced some from eBay myself recently, thinking it might be useful, but I would venture to suggest that it might be too thick for anything below 1:32 scale. I think I'll be using mine to simulate para-cord on tie-downs on my AFV models. :)

If what you have bought is a pure Aramid, then yes it will conract longitudinally, but expand transversely. The amount however is very small and will not be a permanent state. It will expand and contract as the temperature rises and falls, but as I said by a very small amount. The info I have here says about -2X10-6/oC as a percentage of the original length.

Also bear in mind that Aramids (Kevlar is a trade name only) are hydrophylic and will suck up moisture readily.

If this Kevlar is not just fibre but in a resin, be very careful. Most thermoset resins don't like a lot of heat, and you won't end up with what you expected :shocked:

rich :frantic:

Well...

sonofjim - I'm really glad you started the thread (no pun intended) as I'd never come across it in that format...

richc - and I'm really pleased you gave some background info on material properties...

Thanks both...

I may have a use for this on my sub :)

Only trying to be helpful, sorry.

rich

my apologies Rich flipping kicking myself now i had a pun to go with my reply but only hacked off half the message :shithappens:

didnt mean to sound arsey mate . was going to add also would it protect it some how if it were painted ? seriously sounds like you know your stuff mate was genuinley interested .

joke wouldnt work now mate so please feel free to :deadhorse: me

jim

Well...

sonofjim - I'm really glad you started the thread (no pun intended) as I'd never come across it in that format...

richc - and I'm really pleased you gave some background info on material properties...

Thanks both...

I may have a use for this on my sub :)

thanks mate looks like inteseting stuff its a totally new area for me and maybe we could have explored a few things if i didnt inadvetantly shoot Rich

:tapedshut:

it remains to be seen whats its weaknesses are

i'll give it go though

For him to display such outstanding nerd credentials, you may have done him a favour. :wicked:

That's likely to cost me a curry at Telford...

peebeep

:evil_laugh:

So getting back to the subject at hand - if one were to apply some kind of coating (ie: paint) to this kevlar thread, would that suffice to protect it from harmful UV rays? And if the UV weakens it, but it's not structural, is it eventually going to turn to kevlar dust anyway? If I'm not asking it to support anything, I really don't care how strong it is, do I?

J

So getting back to the subject at hand - if one were to apply some kind of coating (ie: paint) to this kevlar thread, would that suffice to protect it from harmful UV rays? And if the UV weakens it, but it's not structural, is it eventually going to turn to kevlar dust anyway? If I'm not asking it to support anything, I really don't care how strong it is, do I?

J

J , speaking to rich via pm he says paint it would protect it from uv

but it wouldnt stop it suckng moisture which from what i can gather is its main weakness and thus would eventually sag ?

For him to display such outstanding nerd credentials, you may have done him a favour. :wicked:

That's likely to cost me a curry at Telford...

peebeep

:smartass:

:eat::cheers:

Thanks Paul, I accept :analintruder:

J

No it won't turn to dust, well not for a very long time. As Jim says the worst aspect of Kevlar is it's insatiable thirst for moisture.

I'm intrigued by the fact you can get different colours, as aramids are yellow by nature. I wonder if the stuff linked to has some form of UV protection applied. I'm not sure if it can be dyed or not, not something I've ever tried.

I'm sending Jim some stuff to play about with, so I'll let him be the judge of that and report on here.

rich :frantic:

Edited by richc

Rich was going to mention , now i've played around with the thread i have, its

almost like a steel colour it has a metallic sheen to it ,maybe its mixed with some other thread ?

and not 100% kevlar its quite thin too its flattest around 1mm in width ,

but i presume you can get different diameters ?

if you rub it along your fingers some of the dye comes of (its actually like graphite) but i guess thats just the fact its a black dye

:hmmm:

Sonofjim,

Cheers for the info.

;)

Herr Von Buckle

no problem Bob

looks like its a nice bit of kit and rowsing around the net a lot of serious ww1 modellers seem to really like it

i'll give it a go .