DH.83 Fox Moth

I can count on one hand the number of civil aircraft I've ever modelled, so please excuse my ignorance on the subject.

Over the weekend we got up close to a DH Fox Moth at Popham airfield, and my son and I both fell in love with it. As neitehr of us is in a position to buy the real thing, a model seems like the next best option, but has anyone made a kit?

Alternatively, a conversion from a Tiger Moth looks feasible. The Matchbox/Revell kit in 1/32 is an appealing candidate, but are any reputable plans of the Fox Moth available?

CHeers,

Bill.

The DH60 Gipsy Moth wings might be a better starting point as the drawings posted above show the wings not to have the pronounced sweep-back of the Tiger Moth.

Oh for a 1:48 kit of a Hornet or Fox Moth....

:giles:

Darius

There were very good drawings in the old MAP/Nexus range but I'm not sure what became of them.

Some at least are still available here, but no signs of anything in the Fox Moth.

To be honest, I found some of the old Aviation News plans to be quite ludicrous, with profiles of the same aircraft on the same page not matching!

Cheers,

Bill.

The DH60 Gipsy Moth wings might be a better starting point as the drawings posted above show the wings not to have the pronounced sweep-back of the Tiger Moth.

The wings are swept, though as you say, not so pronounced in these drawings. The Gipsy Moth has absolutely straight wings. Several online sources suggest the Fox Moth used the wings, undercarriage and tail of the Tiger Moth, whether thay are absolutely right on that i don't know. The Fox Moth has a slightly greater wingspan than the Tiger Moth, which would make sense if the wings were the same, albeit with a shallower sweep angle.

Cheers,

Bill.

OK, I've convinced myself. I'll start looking for one of the recent Revell Tiger Moth boxings. This is one of the few Matchbox 1/32 kits I didn't build as a kid. It's also one of the few Revell re-issues I don't have in the stash.......

Cheers,

Bill.

• 8 months later...
Hi All,

The conversion of the Revell/Matchbox 1/32 kit is certainly 'do-able', here's my attempt a few years ago.

A lot of work, but worth it in the end.

Regards,

Glenn

very worth it - thats excellent

My Fox Moth is no longer available. There is at least one resin kit which is a copy of my kit ( they couldn't even be bothered to remove the slight mark in one wing caused when I dropped a tool on the mould). For the record the Fox did use the basic Tiger wings but with lesser sweep back. The tail group was also Tiger. The fuel tank is much wider and longer. There aren't many drawings around but I have all of them. If one is building a matchbox/ Revell Tiger OOB do remember that the mainplane struts are too long.

John

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...