Mystery 1/32 Spitfire XIV vacform

EricP

A while ago, I bought a 1/32 Spitfire XIV vacform kit off a guy in Italy via eBay. The main vacform sections are pretty simple (almost no panel lines), but it was supplemented by a very nice resin set, comprising of spinner, prop blades, wheels and some other bits and bobs (but no cockpit detail).

I gotta dig out the photo (I think I saved a copy of the eBay ad), but does anyone know who made such a beast ? I'm guessing 1/32 Griffon Spits are not exactly blanketing the model landscape, apart from the Matchbox Spitfire 22/24.

No instructions, no packaging, no decals ... just the basic, simple kit. The cast items are pretty exquisite, am really impressed with the spinner and prop blades, they're very similar to what desmojen produced for her Seafire 46/47 conversions.

Can't help with the vacform but, in terms of Griffon Spits, Warbirds and - latterly - RB Productions produce conversion kits for the Hasegawa and PCM 1/32 spits. Not forgetting Paragon's MkXII conversion of course, although I'm not sure if that's still in production.

Nick

Thanks, from what I've read of ID models, it does sound like that's the highest probability. The resin bits must have been separate, they are very nice, and as my brain cells kick in from time to time, I do remember that a very nice set of exhausts were also included. Now off to get an Aires Mk V cockpit and do the necessary tweaks for a Mk XIV cockpit (actually, I'm planning to do a Mk XIX, so more surgery will be needed !).

Thanks again, guys, you are a great resource ...

Not forgetting Paragon's MkXII conversion of course, although I'm not sure if that's still in production.

Nick

I also did two 1/32 Spitfire XIV conversions in resin;

32042 Spitfire Mk XIV Conversion (Standard Canopy Type)

32043 Spitfire Mk XIV Conversion (Bubble Canopy Type)

These were based on the Hasegawa kits.

B)

I also did two 1/32 Spitfire XIV conversions in resin;

32042 Spitfire Mk XIV Conversion (Standard Canopy Type)

32043 Spitfire Mk XIV Conversion (Bubble Canopy Type)

These were based on the Hasegawa kits.

B)

Neil,

You're talking in the past tense – does that mean you don't produce the Griffon Spits any more?

Nick

A few years ago a company called Touchdown Models did a few Vac Conversions the MK 14 being one of them along with a Tempest and Seafury.

Dont think any resin came with these allthough they did have rather crude white metal parts.

I could be you have the Vac components along with some resin from a later manufacture possibly Paragon.

Neil,

You're talking in the past tense – does that mean you don't produce the Griffon Spits any more?

Nick

Strictly speaking I have not 'officially' reissued those sets, although I do have a small quantity of them, along with various other sets. In truth it is not that I don't want to reissue them, it is just that I have not had the time to put all of my original sets back in production. There are in fact still approx 100 (!!) of my original sets, in 1/72, 1/48 and 1/32 that have still yet to be reissued, finding the time to do so is the problem.

B)

Neil, please do re-issue the sets, I for one would be very interested !

Here are some pictures to help to figure out what kit it is ...

Starboard fuselage & wing top :

zDSCF6664.jpg

Flipped over, you can see the very yellowed canopy there ...

zDSCF6665.jpg

Port fuselage & tailplanes :

zDSCF6666.jpg

Wings are devoid of detail, but I kinda like them that way so I can rescribe to my satisfaction (accuracy & depth) :

zDSCF6667.jpg

zDSCF6668.jpg

Radiators are just rectangular blobs, a full scratchbuild is required :

zDSCF6671.jpg

And contrary to my recollection, a large plan in 1/32 scale is included :

zDSCF6677.jpg

The resin bits ... very nicely done, I reckon.

zDSCF6682.jpg

zDSCF6680.jpg

This will need a cockpit and canopy, plus decals, but this will be an interesting project once I get around to it.

But Keith, this will build character ... :whistle:

I tend to agree with you, it could be more trouble than it's worth, once we work out all the extra sets that are necessary to get it "right". Perhaps it's worth just putting the basic airframe together and either use it as a painting hulk, or a "flying model" for my kid :D ... I'm sure it can be made aerodynamic enough !

Neil, please do re-issue the sets, I for one would be very interested !

The resin bits ... very nicely done, I reckon.

zDSCF6682.jpg

zDSCF6680.jpg

Eric, I have a very small quantity of both 1/32 Spitfire XIV conversions if you need one.

From memory looks very much like the ID Vac + Paragon parts - am sure Neil will be along to confirm, or otherwise, on the resin parts...

Iain

Yup, they certainly look like my bits, unless somebody has done a crafty and moulded my stuff and included them with the vac-form.

B)