1/72 CC-150 Polaris & CC-177 Globemaster

Hi people,

I've been meaning to build these for quite a while now so this GB is the perfect excuse to get on with them.

I'm going to build the Aircraft in Miniature CC-150 Polaris from the Transport Wings line and the Combat Models C-17 which in Canadian guise is the CC-177. If it's alright with the moderators I'll build the two in this thread.

First up, the CC-150 Polaris which comes in the normal AiM bag with parts already pre-cut, this means that the parts are cut from the backing sheet but not cleaned up to the glue lines so are not in a 'good-to-go' state:

CC-150CC-177007.jpg

and the parts:

CC-150CC-177009.jpg

There's some extra bits to make up on this, mostly stiffeners for the wing and wheel wells which the colour instruction sheet explains how to do.

Next is the CC-177 which arrived in a large box with most parts all attached to the backing sheet although these had been cut to reduce the size of the shipping box.

CC-150CC-177001.jpg

There's some resin parts which come with the kit:

CC-150CC-177002.jpg

But I will use the Jerry Rutman detail set I got for it instead:

CC-150CC-177003.jpg

The kit comes with a 1/72 scale 3-view drawing which is basic but does have some very nicely done 3-D drawings of the undercarriage parts which the resin part don't represent in any way or form (reason I got the Rutman set)

CC-150CC-177005.jpg

Luckily my good friend Steve Gardner (ex-AiM production manager) lent me some drawings he has which I then got copied, these have numerous sections drawn on. This drawing BTW is nearly 8 feet long.

CC-150CC-177006.jpg

I'll be using these decals which I got from CanMilAir out of Ontario.

CC-150CC-177008.jpg

Cheers,

Robert

Edited by kitnut617

Robert.

Ill be watching this one with interest. I have the same C 17 kit in my stash.

I will be interested to see how you tackle these brutes of kits. I have an AIM 737 which may see the light of day of this GB once I see how you go with the CC-150. I also used to own the Combat C-17 but traded it in on the Anigrand resin kit which may have well been a vac with all the work that has been done on it!

:cheers:

I hope I don't disappoint you guys then --- I've edited my title, the CC-177 is a Globemaster isn't it, not a Cargomaster.

Robert.

Ill be watching this one with interest. I have the same C 17 kit in my stash.

Me too. I had been wondering about getting the Rutman set too. The pics make me think I DO need it - especially as my Combat C-17 had no resin parts in it!

David

Combat Models has only recently (in the last couple of years I think) been taken over by Robert's Models (not me BTW ) and previously the kit didn't have any resin, that's why Jerry Rutman made his part set. Robert's Models is slowly adding resin to the Combat kits to upgrade them so I've been told.

I'll take some more pics of the Rutman set later today or tomorrow, I have to go into Calgary today. I will take a number of photos of all the parts that both kits have.

Edited by kitnut617

I'll take some more pics of the Rutman set later today or tomorrow, I have to go into Calgary today. I will take a number of photos of all the parts that both kits have.

Thanks

David

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry everyone about this very late reply, I've been away from the forum for quite a while and only just got back onto it.

But to answer Kirk's question, erm! no it didn't. But a few months ago I got hold of the Anigrand forward fuselage correction set for their kit, it comes with two forward fuselage halves (nose to just behind the wing), a new canopy and a new starboard sponson. I then got hold of a port sponson too so I had something similar. The plan now is to mix the two C-17 kits together.

Well I still have to use the rear of the fuselage Kirk, do you want what's left of it once I cut off what I need ? There is a clear vacuform part too as I'll use the clear resin canopy that comes with the upgrade.

This is all I've got of the Anigrand update:

CC-177_zps7afd0e66.jpg

Here's an interesting comparison between the CC-177 (C-17), A400M and C-130J

A400M_C-130_C-17002.jpg

The Rutman detail sets in 1/72 scale are I've discovered OOP and won't be continued with. JRutman is now concentrating on just 1/32 detail sets.

Thanks

David

Well I still have to use the rear of the fuselage Kirk, do you want what's left of it once I cut off what I need ?

OK. Think I'd still like to get my mitts on a bit of Combat Models styrene, so yes. PM me a price when you're ready and we can take it from there.

Cheers!

Kirk

I paid about US$90.00 for it which included the shipping charge, which when you look at the resin you get is fairly cheap I think

...if you are not worried about shape issues. If you are then it was only worth the cost of the extended sponson which still has some issues but not as bad as the forward fuselage.

All you need to do is compare the plan view shape of the forward fuselage of the Anigrand parts with the plans you got with the combat kit.