Falcon 1:48 Supermarine Seafang

Mike

More progress. Wheel bays have been skinned & detailed with strip & wire. I've also built the retraction struts but they're not shown in the pics below. I'm quite pleased with the result, which will doubtless look better once primed. The windscreen is also attached, and I've spent the morning adding flap actuators from pewter, lead wire & styrene. What's not shown in the pics is that I've attached the tail planes, which are currently taped in the horizontal position while they set up.

airframe3.jpg

gearbays3.jpg

More later. :)

Some cracking work so far Mike. I can't help thinking that spinner looks odd though, too long somehow :hmmm:

Jen.

Thanks folks... Jen, you're right. Checked it against the plans & it's way too long. I've spent the last 10 minutes sanding it ferociously & managed to reduce it to somewhere near the right length. I'll re-prime tomorrow & post up the results for critique.

Just nick it from the Seafire! Cracking work Mike. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Noooo... I want to build my Seafire as a contra-prop too :)

I might have a spare. I think I kept one for my Spitfire F21.

Yarp? Would be rather cool if you did :wub:

Seeing as you seem to know the contents of just about every Spit box that ever existed, do you happen to know where I could source some medium* length cannon fairings & barrels from? Quickboost do a couple of sets, but they're all 2 x long, 2 x short, so it'd be a bit expensive getting two sets just to pinch one length from them :hmmm:

* The could be short by the time you add the length of the stubs moulded to the wings.

Mike

Aeroclub have just released a 1:48 Spitfire/Seafire contra-prop.

Aeroclub Contra-Prop

:giles:

Darius

Yarp? Would be rather cool if you did :wub:

Seeing as you seem to know the contents of just about every Spit box that ever existed, do you happen to know where I could source some medium* length cannon fairings & barrels from? Quickboost do a couple of sets, but they're all 2 x long, 2 x short, so it'd be a bit expensive getting two sets just to pinch one length from them :hmmm:

* The could be short by the time you add the length of the stubs moulded to the wings.

Mike

I have varius sizes of these in the spares box - will post a photo when I get home and you can make your selection - gratis.

:giles:

Darius

The first priming coat has been rubbed down to remove as many little blemishes as possible, and it's been re-primed with a fresh can of Alclad grey primer & a new nozzle on my Infinity, which I suspect was beginning to wear out and was getting a little drippy in its old age.

I also re-primed the shorter prop bosses, but as I've mounted them differently to last time, I can't pose them on the actual kit, so you'll have to take my word for it that about 4mm has been removed. If I could have been bothered, I should have taken off another 2mm (approx), but I was fast running out of options (and plastic!). They'll have to do for now :)

airframe4.jpg

airframe5.jpg

Some (most) of the fiddly bits :)

parts2.jpg

Really starting to come together now Mike, you can see it's going to be nice.

Where did you get the stinger tail section from, the Seafire FR47 kit? I need one to make my Seafire FR46. May have to have a go at casting one.

Really starting to come together now Mike, you can see it's going to be nice.

Where did you get the stinger tail section from, the Seafire FR47 kit? I need one to make my Seafire FR46. May have to have a go at casting one.

Thanks Doug. It was in the kit, but was a bit weak. The shaped part is just a couple of vacform bits that need some serious sanding to get to fit together, and the hook itself is a white metal item. Can't imagine it being hard to build from scratch tbh - it's a fairly simple shape. I took the precaution of pinning it to the tail with a big brass rod, as it was just dying to fall off at some point. :)

Yes, you're probably right. I've got the bit they use for the Mk22/24 Spitfire rudder option, so it may be easier to just adapt that.

Thnking about it, I have the styrene bit from a Silvercloud kit here... it's not very good detail-wise, but you're welcome to it if you PM me your addy.

I'll have a go with the bit I've got, if it turns out rubbish, I'll drop you a PM. Thanks Mike.

No worries... would a closeup of the stinger on my kit help?

Hi Mike,

Boy, it's sure coming along fast!!

Makes me want to get out my drawings, Matchbox Mk 22/24 kit, and Jen's Seafire 47 conversion pieces and have a go at kitbashing/scratchbuilding one in 1/32!

Keep up the good stuff!!

Ted