My 1st ever GB

perry

Hi guys n gals!

This is another 1st for me, my first GroupBuild. Since finishing my Swordfish, I've been itching to get started on this!

Here's my attempt, a Combat Models (I think) 1/32 Westland Whirlwind. Makes a bit of a change from the 'stringbags' I've built lately.

Anyways, here's where I started

MVC-443S.jpg

MVC-444S.jpg

Quite impressed with this, the first time I've seen a 1/32 with panel detail...

MVC-445S.jpg

all marked and ready ..........

MVC-446S.jpg

and ..........................

MVC-447S.jpg

..... main parts cut out. Smaller parts I'll be using, I've left on the carrier so they dont get lost.

Now then, lots of sanding to do.

Absolutely fantastic, one of my all time favourite aircraft, I even dropped down to 1/48 scale to build one as there isn't a 1/32 scale injection kit available, I've not brave enough (or skilled enough) to have a go at a vac !

Cheers

Den

thanks Den, and again, thanks for her props!

there will be an injection kit available, as soon as I finish this build :lol:

you have more skill than me mate, i've watched your builds, overcome your fear of the darkside!

Pezza... what're the red bits on the landing gear made of? Also, are there any kit parts in that assembly, or is it all scratched? Don't keep us in suspenders man! :fight:

Mike, the wheels are from a 1/72 Lancaster, exactly the right size according to my plans, The rest is scratchbuilt. The red are just odd bits of plastic from i dont know what, cut off , sanded, shaped and drilled.

Hope your suspenders are comfy now :lol:

Mike, the wheels are from a 1/72 Lancaster, exactly the right size according to my plans, The rest is scratchbuilt. The red are just odd bits of plastic from i dont know what, cut off , sanded, shaped and drilled.

Hope your suspenders are comfy now :lol:

They are... we can learn more when you explain stuff :)

Bit more work done, detailing the wheel wells, lots more to do yet. The oil tanks were made from balsa, sanded to shape and a piece of hollow tube for the filler. The strap was made from a piece of thick foil.

Decided to have the Fowler flaps dropped, so that meant cutting off the rear of the engine nacelles, made myself more work but, I hope the result will be worth it.

Sorry about the pictures, its raining and very dark here

MVC-447S-1.jpg

MVC-448S.jpg

crash formed a couple of spinners . Had a spinner from a Spit, wasnt entirely happy with the shape so, snaded the tip down and then crash formed 2 new ones.

MVC-449S.jpg

Thanks for looking, all comments welcome as usual

Looks good Perry... have you soaked the balsa in CA to allow you to sand it smooth? Stops that hairy look when you slap the paint on :)

Thats a good idea Boss, why didnt I think of that... errm, ......... no :blush:

used micromesh on it, seems to have a good surface finish and I think it'll be passable ;)

• 1 month later...

A little update.

As per usual, whenever I start a project, either modelling or DIY, work always seems to go mad and get in the way.

However, I've not been idle in the very little spare time I've had and, there has been progress allbeit, slow and not very much.

Here's where I'm up to now. I'm building with one engine panel off showing one half of the pesky engine, its almost finished, plumbing and wiring complete, just a few minor details to finish it off.

Used a Merlin from a Revell Spitfire, cut it down to make it fit, scratched the exhausts and manifolds.

Scribed and rivetted the wings and engine nacelles using Radu's rivetting wheel (highly recommended)

landing lights were drilled out and then lenses were crashed. I used a piece of thin dowel, sanded the end round and then crashed a piece of clear plastic to get a dome shaped piece, then glued to the insides of the bottom wings.

MVC-450S.jpg

MVC-451S.jpg

MVC-452S.jpg

MVC-453S.jpg

MVC-454S.jpg

The Fowler flap is cut. had to make a master and crash form a couple of new engine nacelle rear ends. They're attached to the Fowler flap and work is still in progress on them. These are being a real PITA at the moment! <_<

MVC-455S.jpg

And as you can see, work has begun on the IP, using a piece of beer can drilled out and a piece of clear plastic crashed through the drilled out holes. MDC instrument dial decals were then applied on another piece of beer can and this was then glued to the back of the square panel. Its shown here blue tacked for test fitting. More instrument have yet to be added.

MVC-456S.jpg

Thanks for looking

Perry,

The Whirlwind is off to a great start .If this project turns out half as well as your Swordfish did awhile back,you've another winner on your hands.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, been a little quiet with my build but, here's a little updat. The cockpit is all but finished, not 100% accurate but, all scratchbuilt and, I'm fairly happy with the results at the moment (no doubt there'll be something I'll change, usually is!)

The seat harness will need repainting, not happy with that, (its not really yellow, the light is doing that) to me the rest will do. I'll try to get some better picture of the cockpit interior in the next couple of days.

MVC-457S.jpg

the main components just about finished....

MVC-464S.jpg

.........and dry fitted, almost starting to look like a Whirlwind!

MVC-465S.jpg

Thanks for looking, all comments welcome

Pez

• 2 weeks later...

looking good perry, the work you have to put into these vac builds is huge.

at least the end result is going to be worth your efforts.

• 5 weeks later...