The definative Kleer/Future use list!

Chris Jephcott

Hello to everybody,

Just been working on my 109E-4 Trop, and I spilt a little bit of paint on the main cockpit canopy. As I normally paint in acrylic, I decided that I would thin it off, only to be left with a cloudy, scratched, dull and horrific looking piece of plastic. So, I wheeled out a bottle top of the Kleer and let the piece swim in it overnight.

This morning, I have woken up and the piece looks back to normal - nice and shiny, no scratches, good condition and ready for me to attempt the next stage.

So I thought, why don't we have a thread where people can compile the uses for Kleer, for the benefit of all modellers! And here we have it - please feel free to add as many uses as you can think of, as a reference thread in case the brown stuff hits the fan (and let's face it - when I'm making kits, it normally does!!!)

Here goes:

1/ Gloss varnish on an aircraft kit, which enables weathering and transfers to be easily applied

2/ Repairing clear parts which have been damaged/scared due to ham-handed attempts at painting

3/ As a glue for gluing the clear parts to the model, without any residue at all.

4/ A drop in the appropriate place on an instrument panel looks very much like a glass instrument covering

5/ For the effect thinning and making clear plastic parts look more like glass.

Now is that the new formular Kleer or the old stuff.

i know there is a thread on this here somewhere that Johnsons have now changed the formular and the old one is no longer available.

perhaps it would be good to see if anyone has compared the two types!!!!!

6/ Attaching small PE parts - especially to clear parts (like det cords to canopies)

7/ Laminating PE instrument panels with acetate (also saves you having to drop Klear into the dials)

Now I have heard that they are rebranding the stuff under the Pledge name but the formula is actually staying the same??

Julien

Makes a very good decal setter for older decals ie Matchbox and Airfix.

Put some down on the model in a pool where you want your decal, float of the decal and make sure you get rid of all the old adhesive on the decal.

Put it down in the pool and position, put more on top. Then wick away the excess with some kitchen roll.

This works really well and stops the old decals from silvering, also helps pull them down into the old stylee trenches on the MB kits.

Julien

Now I have heard that they are rebranding the stuff under the Pledge name but the formula is actually staying the same??

Julien

No- formulation's different-CRAP............

Ask Andy Mullen...........

• 3 months later...

Hi All

I went looking for Klear and found the new stuff "Pledge Multi Surface Wax" which says that it is rebranded Klear. As it didn't look or smell the same I got a spare canopy part and scatched it a bit, glue fingered it a bit and generaly messed it up. I then dunked it in the stuff, I'm glad it wasn't a needed part as it did not do anything useful apart from making it shiny.

Fortunately my local Morrisons have recently got some of the proper Klear in at the moment.:yahoo:

Incidentaly some military types have been known to use Klear for bulling their boots! :shocked:

Cheers

Faceman

Julien

Future appears to have been rebranded as Pledge with future shine. Klear seems to have been replaced with a totally different product. I guess it means more Future being brought back from the States by friends and relatives (LIke my current bottle was!!)

Hehehe I grabbed about half a dozen bottles of the old Klear last year just in case something like this happened :)

Give it a year or so and some git will be selling bottles of Klear on Ebay for a tenner :)

Actually... come to think of it the stewards on the ships use something like Klear to polish the decks in the accomodation. I wonder if I can pinch a bottle or twelve when I'm next at sea... :hmmm:

Edited by Pielstick

Hi All

Incidentaly some military types have been known to use Klear for bulling their boots! :shocked:

Cheers

Faceman

Never do what my mate in my old platoon did , use it when its just about to rain! Our Sargent Major had a heart attack seeing my mates boots melting in front of him ! :evil_laugh: