Welcome to the Vacform GB

dswoofie

Hi,

Welcome to the Vacform Group Build. Your hosts for this build will be myself and Mike. Please feel free to join in or drop us a line with any questions you may have. We look forward to seeing some great vacform creations taking place over the time :)

There will be 2 different categories for the build, one will be for whole vacform kits (including resin, white metal, and other accessories), and the other will be for vacform conversions where at least 40% of the kit must be vacformed to qualify.

The build starts on the 1st of May, so just pop your intentions in this thread as to what you intend to build, and then kick off your build thread after the 1st May!

Most of all have fun!!

Karl.

I'm intending to build a 1/72 Nakajima Kikka for this GB. It's a copy of the Me 262, looking very similiar at first glance, but apparently not a single part was shared.

A small, simple build that looks perfect for a 1st vacform attempt. No metal details to add, the u/c would need borrowing from a Zero or scratchbuilding. I see no need to complicate it further so I'll be doing it in-flight.

I will be entering my 1/32nd ID B-17 which will be built as an F model from the 99th BG. It will combine scratchbuilding with any resin/plastic parts that I can use.

Graham.

Edited by Graham

My entry will be a Falcon 1:48 Supermarine Seafang/Spiteful, with a few pewter bits & bobs from a Silvercloud kit kindly donated by Colin of Freightdog Models, and refs from our very own Colin S-K :)

Anyone entering the GB that hasn't read John from Aeroclub's excellent Vacform primer should whizz over and read it at their earliest convenience. It's what I read before attempting my first vacform, and is positively the easiest method for breaking the parts from the backing plastic. ^_^

I will have something, not sure what, but the world is my oyster so to speak, so I'll join in on my first group build...................

Watch this space as they say.

Assuming that I can find the time, I may be able to make a vacform kit or two (am I allowed to enter more than one kit?). I am not sure which ones to make, but they shall be pretty much small fry compared to most other modellers' efforts. I do have a 1/144 scale Welsh Models Nimrod MR.1 completed, but not scribed or painted, so I guess that this particular kit is too far advanced for this GB. The other vacform kits I have under consideration are:

1/72 Contrail Short Seamew AS.1.

1/72 Hallam Vac Westland Welkin F.1.

1/72 Rare Planes Supermarine Type 224 (Cockpit mostly complete, but that is all).

1/144 Welsh Models Vickers Valiant B.1.

1/144 Welsh Models HP Victor B.2.

1/144 Welsh Models Boeing CH-47 Chinook.

1/144 Welsh Models Bae Hawk T.1 (although I may convert this into a later standard of Hawk aircraft).

Maybe one of several other Welsh Models 1/144 military aircraft types...Bucaneer, Scimitar, Lightning, etc. I may even convert some of them into something quite different?).

Ideas welcomed... ('Simples'! ;))

Cheers

Derek

Edited by Derek Bradshaw

Hmm, looks like fun! I've not really done a vac-form before... well this is a semi-truth; I built one years ago when I was a teenager (can't remember the manufacturer, but was a Scimitar F.1 in 1/72), which came out OK though of course I could do better now - it would be more accurate to say I've not built once since I started modelling "seriously", as I would put it!

I have nothing relevant in the stash at the moment, although I have a few aircraft on the "hit list" which would be appropriate, pending whether I can find them up for grabs for a price I can afford (mostly British post-war stuff in 1/48 - Lightning, Gannet, Scimitar, Hunter T.7 - the sort of thing that's harder to find in injection mould without paying a fortune, that way I figure I would be more motivated to do a vac). When is the GB running until? If it's of fair length, there's a chance I might be able to bag me something and still have enough time to build it before the deadline!

Greetings

I will be starting to hack away at an I.D. models 1:48 Scale C-133 Cargomaster, armed with a Stanley Knife (and several spare blades), acres of sandpaper, gallons of liquid poly and superglue, a well-stocked spares box (hopefully to be much reduced after this project), several cans of Halfords grey primer, white primer, Nissan silver, and satin black, some yet to be produced home-made decals and the excellent "Remembering an Unsung Giant - the Douglas C-133 Cargomaster and its People" by Cal Taylor - not an international bestseller, but the best C-133 reference bar none.

C133_01.jpg

I can hardly wait!!!

:giles:

Darius

Edited by Darius at Home

I will join. I have lots of kits, covering most all RAF/FAA aircraft 'tween wars, but the following are of most interest right now.

Esoteric 1/72 B.P. Sidestrand/Overstrand. This may be my prefered entry; it is unstarted.

Contrail Vickers Wildebeest - unstarted. Here I have an option to do either the 1/72 or 1/48 version. The latter may allow me to tart it up a bit using some bits from the Tamiya Swordfish.

Contrail 1/72 Blackburn Iris -- I started this by cutting most pieces out but have not gone further -- I guess I need a ruling if this is eligible.

I will pick one of these later; I doubt I will start right on 1 May.

John

Edited to show Side/Overstrand is Esoteric kit, not Contrail ...

Edited by JohnRatzenberger