1/35 CH47 Decal demo sheet UPDATED, @ WEZ and 32SIG

TonyT

As you may know one of the Modellers on here (32SIG) is looking at producing a long overdue RAF Chinook sheet in 1/35th, so please let me get this clear, I am not stepping on his toes here, I am just doing a A4 test sheet for myself to see if I have the skill to produce Decal sheets for possibly the USA and other countries versions in the future as well as a lot of other Aircraft types, but as I worked on the Chinook I though I would give it a go as a test subject..

Ok, that said this has been done in Photoshop, I realise it can make decals a bit bitmappy, but until I get my head around Corel Draw, then I will continue in this. A print out onto photo paper shows it looks ok. Does this really matter unless rescaling?

I have also printed it out without using single colours , (ALPS 1000) as not aufait with the technique yet or convinced it has much advantage over a normal printout, though I would add a white undercoat or two first., though does this matter much to people?

My intention is to do a full A4 Sheet when doing something like this and add as much Stencilling as I can reasonably fit on it, (under a 1/4 of what is planned is on this test) I have added several back ups on the unfinished test shot which I would add to any sheets I produce, Do people want this or would they prefer a smaller sheet?

One Idea I have thought about would be to produce a sheet for say one of Corgis Diecasts allowing people to change it's squadrons, would people like that?

It has taken me about a day to produce this, including painting the squadron badges, the stars on the 7 sqn badge, may have the odd spike to many on them, would people prefer stuff like that to be ultra accurate as to be honest at the scale it does not really show?

Ok sorry about the spolier on the sheet, and please scroll to the bottom of the sheet to see the type of stencilling I am planning on doing, and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give me some feedback and Ideas, are the stencils sufficently separated? on the Emergency cut out panels I have laid them out, would you prefer them in a strip format of corners with the wording in a similar style so they can be positioned easier?

Full size decal sheet so far here, ( click on image when it opens)

http://www.skonk.net/main.php?g2_view=core..._serialNumber=1

SEE MY LATEST POST

Edited by TonyT

that looks ok to my untrained eye,purely from a laymans point of view !!

im sure that some uberexperten will be along soon enough to rip you to shreds,but thats why you posted ,right?

sometimes it takes some one in the know to point out the obviuos (you know that thing youve been stairing at but cant quite figure out why its wrong)

could you do a 1/32ND SHEET FOR A BUCCANEER?

when i get round to finishing it (at the current rate of progress ETA 2046 :clif: )

good luck with the feedback :hobbyhorse:

Tony,

I missed these earlier (so quit yer boo-hooing), what can I say - toptastic :speak_cool:

My only comment is you may want to include a couple more 7's on there - it turns up more often than any other number in wokka serial numbers.

Glad you got both the early and later size of OCU marking on there - just a thought though, you might wanna include one of 18 Sqn's "My Little Ponies" facing the other way, I recall reading somewhere there were a couple of instances of them facing forwards on both sides of the cab.

Top man! Can you do 'em in 1/72nd too?

Wez

Thanks guys, but as said, 32SIG is looking at producing a sheet, this was just a tryout to see if I can do them and possibly run a sheet off for my own use as I am attempting a very slow build of an early OCU aircraft, hence the markings on it and to get some feedback If I am on the right track, I bought an Alps printer because of the lack of these produced anywhere ,so I can see 32SIG doing ok with them, there has got to be a market. But Iain has a cunning plan so you never know, you may see some of it :)

Scaling them though should not be an issue, though a lot of the smaller decals would be lost, then again they could be replaced with other items :)

I still have to finalise the size of some of the items on it, I have been running off a sheet, cutting them out then offering them up to my model and comparing it to photos, to get an idea of the correct scale, most are pretty close.

There are a lot more items to add and I was thinking of doing walkways and step guides as lines to cut and fit as reqd. I was going to add the later Chinook HC2 markings as well or at least the big stuff, smaller stencils changed from yellow to black so would either need to be redone in black or added as well, again was aiming for a A4 sheet so may shuffle the codes about which would allow me to reduce the amount needed, changing FG to EZ would allow me to lose 2 sets of 4 letters from the set alone. I was also thinking of the interior for those that custom build it as the 1/35thTrumpeter falls woefully short in the cabin area and the real aircraft is full of stencils etc.

:)

Edited by TonyT

Me again, ok this is an update of the sheet I am working on and a couple of questions.

1/ Does anyone have a picture of the walkway lines on a chinook? it may be in the 1/48 kit booklet. I know mine is not right, it was added to workout the positioning on the sheet.

2/ On doing the walkway, would people prefer to paint the walkway colours and just have several lines of the edging to add to the model?

3/ on the cut here exit markings, I have produced one complete and the rest as a breakdown of parts, including some long thin lines to cut to desired length, does that idea work? and would people prefer that?

Lastest version including new squadron is available to view here...........

http://www.skonk.net/main.php?g2_itemId=10...ageViewsIndex=1

PLEASE give me some feedback, some of all of it may appear as a decal sheet in the future with 32SIG

Edited by TonyT

Me again, ok this is an update of the sheet I am working on and a couple of questions.

1/ Does anyone have a picture of the walkway lines on a chinook? it may be in the 1/48 kit booklet. I know mine is not right, it was added to workout the positioning on the sheet.

2/ On doing the walkway, would people prefer to paint the walkway colours and just have several lines of the edging to add to the model?

3/ on the cut here exit markings, I have produced one complete and the rest as a breakdown of parts, including some long thin lines to cut to desired length, does that idea work? and would people prefer that?

Lastest version including new squadron is available to view here...........

PLEASE give me some feedback, some of all of it may appear as a decal sheet in the future with 32SIG

Tony,

I like what I see :thumbsup:

I haven't got any pictures of the walkway area and I can't remember how or if the colouring of the walkways on Mk.2's differ from the Mk.1's (the first Mk.2's came back in full colour markings but these were tamed down after aircraft 2 or 3). Mk 2's also have a bigger walkway area inbetween the engines and aft pylon (it extends further back). Regarding whether people want the edging or the walkway and the edging I offer this. As you of all people know the walkway is painted in a non-slip material (although this didn't work too well between the aft pylon and engines on Mk.1's as it only served to retain the oil that got vented out here and turn that area into an ice rink - particularly on rainy days, anyhow I digress), whilst the full walkway decal may work in smaller scales it would look less convincing to me in larger scales - just my two penneth worth.

The cut and exit markings should have been painted to set lengths but often this didn't happen however, they're mostly uniform so it may be better to produce them to the correct length.

I know these are intended for 1/35th scale but is there any chance they'll make it to the smaller scales - after all, after many years we now have pretty decent kits in the common scales?

Regards

Wez

Edited by Wez

Tony,

Brilliant work!

I've sent you a PM re. Cunning Plan :)

With regard to walkways - I thing the edging and the black areas should be included - but sep[separately so giving option of painting the black. Would also make them easier to 'fit'...

Iain

Tony,

Brilliant work!

I've sent you a PM re. Cunning Plan :)

With regard to walkways - I thing the edging and the black areas should be included - but sep[separately so giving option of painting the black. Would also make them easier to 'fit'...

Iain

I have thought about this, would I need to include the black as the kit comes with walkway decals, would I not need to simply add some additional edging to overlay the kit one?

These are a test prints added to the side of the unpainted 1/35th Chinook D to try and judge if I am close on scale.

What do you all think?? Ignore codes etc and they may look a little flat as they have not been undercoated with white, so the yellows etc will appear dull as will the white text on the fuel markings.

On and before you say it, not the best photography in the world but better than the decal application ;)

Edited by TonyT

Think I have sorted the design of the walkway, just need to get it scaled correctly, have drawn and added your PPPPPPP penguins for the fin WEZ.

Done a fair amount of additions, please look and see if you notice anything I have wrong so far.. The long Horizontal black lines are the walkway guides to cut as desired, the Yellow, Red and Green bands are Rotor Blade and head identification bands, thought they would be easier as a cut and wrap decal :) extra vertical yellow stripe is for adding at corners for the walkway if needed.

Still a lot more to add.

Edited by TonyT

Hmmm...

Good point - but I thought the walkway patters were different?

<wanders off to dig out kit>

BRB :)

Iain

There's a difference in the rear fuselage walkways between a Mk1 and a Mk2 - the Mk.2's extend much further rearwards. Unfortunately the linky aint working for me to check.

Wez

My apologies, I locked the said room down after someone on another forum expressed concerns over myself posting such high resolution images of the sheet, ( Scale Rotors) even without the background spoilers on it, Never thought my work was pinchable, suppose its a bit of flattery really.

I have but a reduced size and low res version up now that you can both see, I will set up a password room and give you both access to a higher res version tomorrow hopefully :)

here it is..

http://www.skonk.net/main.php?g2_itemId=11...ageViewsIndex=1

Should I do the Rampant Lion ones that I have seen as well? walkway edging allows for peeps to spray or use the in kit decal but needs rescaling, it is the early version, later ones are bigger aft of Engines and a different shape..

I even considered IFOR markings, Gulf Markings and a couple of Bloody big rear Pylon Union Jacks, but that would fill a small sheet.. :(

Remember I used to skin stuff for games as a hobby, I can churn this stuff out till the cows come home and they don't take that long, :) well not this one :deadhorse: Ok it's a horse but it looks like a cow.

Should I do the Rampant Lion ones that I have seen as well? walkway edging allows for peeps to spray or use the in kit decal but needs rescaling, it is the early version, later ones are bigger aft of Engines and a different shape..

I even considered IFOR markings, Gulf Markings and a couple of Bloody big rear Pylon Union Jacks, but that would fill a small sheet.. :(

Remember I used to skin stuff for games as a hobby, I can churn this stuff out till the cows come home and they don't take that long, :) well not this one :deadhorse: Ok it's a horse but it looks like a cow.

Tony,

That's a cracking effort well done!

The rampant lion's you mention is actually a (to quote the official squadron history), "a rampant, twin-tailed, Burmese fighting tiger" and is the Sqn Marking of 78Sqn. If you include that you've pretty much covered the lot! In this incarnation, 78 Sqn was an amalgamation of the SH 1310 Flt (Chinooks - Kelly's Garden) and the SAR 1564 Flt (Queenies - Navy Point). When we first amalgamated at Mount Pleasant we were called by the rather catchy monniker of MPHS or Mount Pleasant Helicopter Sqn, the powers that be hadn't decided on a Sqn number plate at that time - 103 Sqn and 110 Sqn were also in the offing.

Somewhere in my accoutrements I have a Sqn patch in the right colours, I'll attempt to scan it when I find it!

I happened to go up on some staging today - the walkways on Mk.2's are plain black without any border. Only the first three Mk.2's had full colour markings (big roundels, light coloured codes and full coulour stencelling including the border to the walkway - it stood out like the proverbial spare part at a wedding! The first aircraft were later repainted.

HTH

Wez

Edited by Wez