No. 178 Squadron RAF, B-24 Liberator

It's an old Monogram 1/48 circa 1973. This is the first one I've built, I have had 4 of them sitting in the basement for years and finally decided it was time to dust one off and make it. This is my fisrt fully completed kit in over 6 years. I completely ripped out the cockpit and built a new one from scratch, using plasticard and old odds and sods.

Picture%20279.jpg

Picture%20281.jpg

Picture%20286.jpg

Picture%20287.jpg

Cut out the old cowl flaps and made new ones from brass strips.

Picture%20305.jpg

Picture%20353.jpg

New bomb bay doors.

Picture%20356.jpg

Extra detail to the UC using 5 Amp fuse wire.

Picture%20406.jpg

Added some paint.

Picture%20366.jpg

Added some custom nose are courtesy of Photoshop and decal paper

Picture%20385.jpg

Started the weathering .

Picture%20438.jpg

Picture%20449.jpg

Picture%20453.jpg

Picture%20454.jpg

Picture%20437.jpg

And she's finished

Picture%20447.jpg

Picture%20448.jpg

Picture%20398.jpg

I really hope no one minds me posting this many images but I felt that all the different aspects make up the whole model.

Be gentle it's not rivet counter proof, it has the wrong rear turret etc but I had fun making it. She took about 2-3 months of evenings to make (probably about 40-50 hours in all).

• Like 1

"I really hope no one minds me posting this many images but I felt that all the different aspects make up the whole model.

Be gentle it's not rivet counter proof, it has the wrong rear turret etc but I had fun making it. She took about 2-3 months of evenings to make (probably about 40-50 hours in all)."

Hey Gary, no probs with the number of images - it's a bit of a revelation to see just how much work you've put into this beastie. They are a bit of a handful, but certainly look the bizzo when they're done.

I like the interior detail around the throttle quadrant, that's some pretty stunnng work.

I did one a few years back as a USN PB4Y; I then sold it on TradeMe and wish I hadn't now... but here's a piccie of it... I'd not be averse to doing another one that's for sure!

Cheers

Mike

PB4Y-01.jpg

Damn that's a shame you sold her, I couldn't part with mine as it's actually a representation of my grandfather's kite.

I like the D/I variants I have two in the basement and another J/VII as well. I've just bought myself one of those brass work station things and I'm going to build myself a Coastal Command variant and make all the extra's myself. As far as I know you can't get hold of after market stuff for these any more.

Maybe they'll rerelease the B-24 seeing as they just rereleased the B-17's if they do then there'll be a bigger demand for photo etch etc, until then I'll have to scratch build it all.

Each one of those throttle quadrants is made up of 9 semicircles glued together and alternating heights and then filed down. In each of the slots I added a lever and then I used a hot knife to push down on the top to make the "T" at the top of the levers.

Sorry more photos, bet you wish you hadn't mentioned it now :D

Picture%20221.jpg

Picture%20222.jpg

Picture%20231.jpg

Picture%20234.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I only had black and white photos to work with but the darker colour appeared on the right. I could be wrong and the photos could be handed or developed wrong.

This nice guy I know in Aotearoa called Mike took some better quality shots of the end result, it's amazing what a bit of saavy with a camera can do :D

libby-01.jpg.jpg

libby-02.jpg.jpg

libby-03.jpg.jpg

Thanks for looking, and be gentle this was my first proper build since returning to modelling ;)

Gary

I only had black and white photos to work with but the darker colour appeared on the right. I could be wrong and the photos could be handed or developed wrong.

This nice guy I know in Aotearoa called Mike took some better quality shots of the end result, it's amazing what a bit of saavy with a camera can do :D

Thanks for looking, and be gentle this was my first proper build since returning to modelling ;)

Gary

I think you caught me on one of my more savvy days! :D

Cheers

Mike