Hi Deon

that is sweet

will be interested to see how it went together

where will the review be please?

Hi Deon

that is sweet

will be interested to see how it went together

where will the review be please?

That'll be in the March 2009 issue of Scale Aviation Modeller International Walrus..

That'll be in the March 2009 issue of Scale Aviation Modeller International Walrus!

Doh!

looks like i missed it then- not a regular mag of mine

so can you spill the beans now it has been published already please Deon?

apologies for the duplication i have no idea i say i have no idea how that happened :shrug:

repetition removed

Edited by walrus

Nicely done, have not seen one of these before! :thumbsup:

Now a question, wasn't the name Seagull used for a WWII seaplane/amphipian. I recall it was a mark of the Walrus?

Yes, the Seagull was originally a development of the Seal (Seagull Mk1) which then was developed into the Seagull Mk 2, Mk3 and one aircraft was unofficially designated mk 4. Another experiment with a pusher layout on a Mk3 led after a complete redesign to the Walrus or Seagull Mk 5. The model is The Seagull ASR1 . one of the early designs was due to have a fraser nash turret in the rear of the engine pylon!

Doh!

looks like i missed it then- not a regular mag of mine

so can you spill the beans now it has been published already please Deon?

apologies for the duplication i have no idea i say i have no idea how that happened :shrug:

repetition removed

The plastic on this vacform was quite thick, taking ages to sand down but builds into quite a solid model using Plastic Weld. The engraving could be filled given the clean appearance of the real thing. On the internet there is a cut away diagram of the Seagull this can be found by searching Google with ‘Supermarine Seagull’ and that's as much reference material as there is for the interior. I made a bulkhead for the cockpit and a fold-down crew seat next to the pilot. There were numerous internal and external changes made to the prototypes, so check your references.

There is a white metal instrument panel and white metal crew seats, to which I added tamiya tape harness. There was so much lead up front that I weighted the rear to prevent a nose sitter, but this was unnecessary as the lead tailwheel would have kept the model tail down.

The canopy is a bit complicated to cut out , so the fuselage was trimmed to fit the canopy rather than the other way round. Also the recesses for the undercarriage seem less sharply defined than they appear in photos. I would have rebuilt them but this was a review model so I left alone.

Wings, tail plane and engine pod were superglued together for strength and, after filling and sanding, radiators were attached to the sides of the engine pylon. Props, wing floats and pylons were assembled and set aside for painting before fitting them to the aircraft.

I used Gunze sky and EDSG from those short lived vacuum packed paints in little bags. Photos show no weathering or panel lines, the aircraft seem very clean. There should be various pitots on the wings and a whip aerial on the engine pod but the fitting of asr antennae, aerials etc seem to have changed and Im waiting to get a definative view of the aircraft I modelled before I fit them

The decals are accurate (Putnam ‘Supermarine Aircraft since 1914’) and well behaved, applied over a coat of clear and that was it, a bit of a rushed job but nice to build. Go for it Walrus, im sure you'll make a better job of it than I did!

never tried a vac form before Deon

will end up languishing in the stash which would be a pity - it looks really good

must admit i do fancy a crack at a vac form some time-how suitable would this be for a novice please?

as the plastic is quite robust, it's like building a limited run injection kit, careful prep is the key. If youve got some experience fettling normal plastic kits, this one is fine to start with, go on..have a go!

get thee behind me Satan :devil:

could be a fine intro into the arcane art of vac form

but would be a while before i could get around to it - the way things are going c.2038

hey i will only be 89 :lol:

You dont seriously mean youre gonna wait 89 years before doing a vac form! Its a rite of passage long overdue my friend...get to it! i think there's a vac gb on at the mo'.

:lol:

hadn't thought about that

seriously though, IF i could get i build completed per month and didn't buy anymore kits

the stash would take 15 years to get through! EEK!

i promise i will do a vacform before being shifted of to the retirement home

can't commit to more GB's at present would have been a good excuse but still haven't started the Alan Hall Memorial build yet :frantic:

:lol:

hadn't thought about that

seriously though, IF i could get i build completed per month and didn't buy anymore kits

the stash would take 15 years to get through! EEK!

i promise i will do a vacform before being shifted of to the retirement home

can't commit to more GB's at present would have been a good excuse but still haven't started the Alan Hall Memorial build yet :frantic:

Which reminds me...Ive got a Stirling to build for that one, after the F5 for the naval and two FW189s, Id better get a shift on! Ive got enough kits to see me through retirment and out the other side, if only i could be reincarnated several times I might get the stash done!

Had a look at the Blackbird website

Whirly have some very interesting subjects including the Hawker P1121!

now looksee wot you done Deon !AAARGH!!!

plus on the Xtrakit's Scimitar and some forth coming Airfix releases.

maybe reincarnation as a Hindu God(ess) with several arms would help

hey, divinity = immortality

that would get the stash emptied

then i could also get lots of nice resin kits of Harriers and the P1154!

pity i can't take the stash with me when i peg it.

in any case plastic would melt where i'm going :devil:

Edited by walrus

• 2 weeks later...