PM Model F-5A

Dave T

If it's owt like other PM kits it'll be decidedly basic.

IIRC it is - and a little on the crude side at that...

I reviewed it for SAM when it first appeared in the early 80's - best avoided IMHO.

Iain

Iain,

Thanks.

Found your article (March '84 main feature is Westland Sea King)..... says it comparable to the Frog version (which i've also not seen) or the Airfix.

Cheers....

Can't remember what I wrote (scare's me it was 25 years ago!!) but I do recall being pretty un-impressed...

Not done smaller scale stuff for years - but I seem to remember the ESCI one being the best F-5A (clicky) - was that re-released by anyone else - Italeri?

Iain

Iain,

That ESCI F-5A (and F-5B) are, IMHO just about the best 1st generation F-5s you'll find in any scale. I don't know that they've been released by anyone else (I don't think so at any rate). Dave if you want to do an F-5A or B these are the kits to get.

I found it odd (way back when) that two Italian competitors came out with some of the best F-5 kits ever (in any scale, IMHO); ESCI with their F-5A/B/C/D/CF-116 and Italeri with their F-5E/Fs. I wonder if their was some collusion going on... :confused:

Anybody have an example of the PM/Pioneer F-5A to hand ?

And can they comment on whats included, accuracy, thoughts, etc... please ?

It's not very good. In descending order for F-5A or B, I recommend Esci (re-issued by Italeri), Frog/Hasegawa, Airfix, Matchbox, PM/Pioneer. I converted my PM one to this:

dw_ahead2.jpg

David