I'm going to try my first airliner since I was a kid...

Graeme

and would appreciate any tips you can give me - especially about cabin windows. One of my earliest modelling memories is of trying to fit Air France decals (I think) around the windows on an Airfix Concorde, and I've not touched an airliner since (that's about 40 years I reckon).

My plan is to have a go at a Revell Airbus A320 in Air Asia/Manchester United colours, but I understand the kit has window apertures, not a solid fuselage. If that's the case, what is the best way to fill the windows? On a recently aborted Airfix Nimrod I blanked off the windows inside then filled from the outside but never got a smooth finish.

My other option is to do a 757-200 in Iron Maiden colours - is the Minicraft kit any good?

TIA

Graeme

Hi,

Airfix and Revell tend to have holes for windows but Minicraft don't and their decals have the windows. If you're using aftermarket decals you might need to fill the windows depending on who's decals your using. For example Two-Six's decals usually have the windows included in any cheatline the decal might have. Other manufacturers have a cheatline and a seperate line of windows to add over the top.

Here's two methods I use when doing civil stuff.

Using the kit windows.

1. Assemble main parts of aircraft and use filler if needed (this Comet needed alot!)

254853075.jpg

2. I use Halfords white primer and spray the whole thing. Then I use Halfords 'Appliance White' or 'Vauxhall Glacier White' and spray the fuselage.

254853077.jpg

3. The main wings were brushed with Humbrol 19 red (I think Xtracolor do BEA red)

255432515.jpg

4. Humbrol Metalcote 'Polished Aluminium' was brushed on the lower fuselage, leading and trailing edges of wings and rear stabs. Once dry a coat of Klear was applied, then a second coat of 'Polised Aluminium'. Finally about five coats of Klear to gloss it up.

255981367.jpg

5. The black cheatline was added but I cut off the nose sexction as it's always hard to make decals go around the nose. As it's black it's easily painted.

256528161.jpg

6. The windows were filled with MicroScale Klear -PVA glue is the same stuff. I apply it with a toothpick and go arund the aparature in a circular motion. Once dry it goes clear.

258523890.jpg

7. Then the rest of the decals are added and a final coat of Klear to seal them in.

258523885.jpg

258523886.jpg

258523883.jpg

Now how I use aftermarket decals when the windows need filling.

1. I glue a length of old sprue on the inside of the fuselage on this 737.

313349792.jpg

2. Build main assembly and fill in the windows as well as anything else that needs filling.

313867847.jpg

3. Spray with Halfords White Primer then 'Appliance White' for the fuselage.

314269793.jpg

4. I brush painted Humbrol Metalcote 'Polished Aluminium' on the lower fuselage but leaving the front as I'm not sure where the red/blue cheatline will actually lie on the model so I'll add the final paint later.

314269795.jpg

5. Main decal added.

314416326.jpg

6. The nose is now touched up and finished. All other decals now added.

314570942.jpg

7. Job done.

314570943.jpg

314570952.jpg

314570946.jpg

Hope that's some use.

Cheers!

6. The windows were filled with MicroScale Klear -PVA glue is the same stuff. I apply it with a toothpick and go arund the aparature in a circular motion. Once dry it goes clear.

258523890.jpg

Interesting this part. is there a maximum size that klear or even PVA glue will fill?..have a playfix mil-8 and all the supplied window clear parts have large ejector pin marks on them..or could i just sand them and if so how to restore the clear parts afterwards?

and would appreciate any tips you can give me - especially about cabin windows. One of my earliest modelling memories is of trying to fit Air France decals (I think) around the windows on an Airfix Concorde, and I've not touched an airliner since (that's about 40 years I reckon).

My plan is to have a go at a Revell Airbus A320 in Air Asia/Manchester United colours, but I understand the kit has window apertures, not a solid fuselage. If that's the case, what is the best way to fill the windows? On a recently aborted Airfix Nimrod I blanked off the windows inside then filled from the outside but never got a smooth finish.

My other option is to do a 757-200 in Iron Maiden colours - is the Minicraft kit any good?

TIA

Graeme

Stick wih the Airbus Graeme. The Minicraft 757 is a pig in comparison.

Alternatively, try the Daco 737 kits.

Chris.

Interesting this part. is there a maximum size that klear or even PVA glue will fill?..have a playfix mil-8 and all the supplied window clear parts have large ejector pin marks on them..or could i just sand them and if so how to restore the clear parts afterwards?

The biggest windows I've done using Micrscale Krystal Klear are on this 1.72 Heller 707 where the windows are about 3.5mm square

346762164.jpg

Or this Stratoliner where the windows are slightly bigger at 4mm

299154040.jpg

I find it helps to have thickish glue so it does sag or run.

Cheers!

Twosix have now started providing the cheatline and windows as seperate decals giving you the option of using either route for the windows. I have to admit that IMO using the decals which have window surrounds would probably look more realistic.

Tony :clif:

Well, I was going to try an airliner, but...

I managed to fix a trip for work on Tuesday in such a way as to be able to go to Hannants in Hendon - where they had next to no airliner kits in stock, and no Two-Six decals either.

I did come away with a Revell C-17 which is close I guess!

I'll try my local Modelzone at the weekend to see what they have in stock.

I will do one, honest...

Graeme

Well, I was going to try an airliner, but...

I managed to fix a trip for work on Tuesday in such a way as to be able to go to Hannants in Hendon - where they had next to no airliner kits in stock, and no Two-Six decals either.

I did come away with a Revell C-17 which is close I guess!

I'll try my local Modelzone at the weekend to see what they have in stock.

I will do one, honest...

Graeme

Well, now I'm totally confused...

I bought the Revell Airbus A380 kit, and that has window apertures, and window decals - but no glazing for the windows. WTF?

So should I fill the apertures and then use the decals or what - the instructions give no guidance.

TIA

Graeme