BOAC Boeing 707 Which Kit?

Martian

I recently picked up a set of BOAC decals for the Boeing 707 from Two Six decals. Unfortunately the instruction sheet does not sugest a donr kit. I have the Airfix example in the stash but it looks like the BOAC logo for the engine pylons is far too large for this kit. Which kit should I be using?

Martin

Martin

The Airfix one is a 707-436. I got that sheet for that kit. I must admit that I remember watching BOAC 707's at Heathrow in the 1960's and early 1970's and don't remember seeing the BOAC markings on the engines.

HTH

Tony :clif:

Edited by avro683

I used Two-Six's BOAC decals for the Airfix kit and yes, the tail decal didn't fit...

252005632.jpg

So I had to paint over the decal...

252005630.jpg

Also the windows had to be filled as the decal came with it's own windows..

252005626.jpg

However, with the adjustments I was pleased with the result, but couldn't use the engine pylon decals.

317106388.jpg

317106385.jpg

Cheers!

I used Two-Six's BOAC decals for the Airfix kit and yes, the tail decal didn't fit...

252005632.jpg

252005630.jpg

252005626.jpg

However, with the adjustments I was pleased with the result, but couldn't use the engine pylon decals.

317106388.jpg

317106385.jpg

Cheers!

That's very nice. I have the later set from Twosix which has extra blue bits for the tail. Hopefully that'll fit better

Tony :clif:

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers!

Hi.

I would like to point out that this BOAC decal I made for S&M Dec was designed to fit the Minicraft Boeing 707-400 tail rather than the Airfix kit which has the original shorter tail.

Same applies to the TwoSix screen printed later BOAC decals :)

All the best

Ray

Martin in answer to your original question which I think Ray has answered anyway, the best kit for those decals is the Minicraft offering.

• 3 months later...

The airfix 707 is not accurate for a 707-400...as used by BOAC/BA, Air India, Varig and Lufthansa

If you modfify the engines slightly and make them into Pratt & Whitney's instead of the RR's, then you can make an early delivery 707-300 out of it.

Unless you make the airfix fin taller....