Starfighter Museum Piece

Having visited many aircraft museums, I feel sad that these creatures of the air are to be earthbound for evermore. It's particularly upsetting when outside exhibits are allowed to deteriorate at the mercy of the elements, rain streaked and forgotten, such as this one:

museum1.jpg

museum2.jpg

museum3.jpg

museum4.jpg

They sit forlorn, engineless, the erstwhile source of their power unceremoniously plugged with crudely made covers:

museum5.jpg

museum6.jpg

museum7.jpg

museum8.jpg

They squat on flat tyres, running repairs often done on these poor airframes with gaffer tape:

museum9.jpg

Their cannon ports crudely sealed against small creatures with more tape:

museum10.jpg

Birds, no respect for their superiors in the sky, perch on fins, and foul indiscriminately:

museum11.jpg

Their clouded perspex canopies are often padlocked against unlawful entry:

museum12.jpg

Dented and twisted fuel tanks are discarded nearby:

museum13.jpg

Earthbound they sit, in some forgotten corner:

museum14.jpg

And can only dream of their glory years, now but a distant memory, as they deteriorate beyond salvation:

museum15.jpg

Sad, isn't it? Came over all emotional, there.

I'd had this museum exhibit in progress when Mart (LotusArenco) went and posted his MiG 21 on the same theme, so I'm not being a copycat, honest!

Still, what else can you make from the pile of poo which IS the Academy 1/72 F-104G? The canopy is woeful (and has the detail moulded on the INSIDE) the intake shock cones are rounded instead of pointed, the cockpit is non existent...this was destined to be a derelict before I ever got my hands on it.

In addition to sorting out the awful kit parts, I had to scratchbuild the FOD covers, the intake splitters, gear cover actuators, pitot cover, padlock, the whole diorama base, the info board, the rope stakes and so on.

There is a security fence on order to go along the base behind the airframe, but it hasn't arrived yet.

Hope you like it,

Dean

Edited by Deanflyer
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 1

S'abit poetic, innit? :lol:

Do you ever do a "straight" model anymore? :wicked: Looks great, and the hazy canopy looks realistic... one critique though - if it was as weather beaten as that, it would probably be as matt as a matt thing :)

Excellent! How did you do the bird poo? Just add one or two figures looking at the exhibit and you have one very effective and different aircraft diorama. Preiser do all sorts of civilian figures.

Martin

Now that's just heartbreaking, Tony...

In answer to some comments:

Mike, it is pretty matt, but an uncharacteristic bit of early morning low sun gave it a sheen when the pics were taken. Either that or it's just rained, whichever excuse you prefer. :innocent: Also, as for straight modelling - remember that Vulcan I bought at Cosford? Wait until you see what I've got planned for that...

Tony, there is bleaching on the panels and darker around the panel lines, but doesn't show up too well on the pics. Didn't want to overdo things.

Martin, I was looking at figures for it, but painting people is not my strong point especially in 1/72 scale. Plus, that would take away the element of abandonment I was hoping to portray. As for the guano...white pencil.

Cheers,

Dean

Edited by Deanflyer
  • Like 1

Nice one Mate! :thumbsup2:

I think we’ve started a trend. :D

I totally forgot about doing the flat tyres on mine…

Only suggestion I would make, is to sit the wheels on concrete slabs of some sort, to stop it sinking into the grass.

Mart

Only suggestion I would make, is to sit the wheels on concrete slabs of some sort, to stop it sinking into the grass.

Mart

Thanks Mart, it was a parallel idea, honest! As for concrete slabs, I did think about it but decided to churn up the grass underneath a bit instead, to help give it that 'unloved' air. Same as the way the drop tank has been casually dumped, and the rope barrier looks decidedly temporary...all done deliberately.

Cheers,

Dean

Thanks Mart, it was a parallel idea, honest! As for concrete slabs, I did think about it but decided to churn up the grass underneath a bit instead, to help give it that 'unloved' air. Same as the way the drop tank has been casually dumped, and the rope barrier looks decidedly temporary...all done deliberately.

Cheers,

Dean

Hope you do not mind me adding another link or so, I used to skin for Pacific fighters and one of the people on there took some of a Mig 21 and an AN-2 in similar circumstances, Owned by a millionare and left in his gardens to rot..... he had some stunning ones of it covered in hawfrost too..... one of his links is now dead for the Mig-21 but the others are still up and running, I may be able to contact him if the other shots are required, see

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2...1685#4811001685

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2...7045#4921027045

for some excellent shots of both.

more and looking decidedly dodgy the way it is now sat.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2...9816#4081039816

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2...1876#6021021876

Edited by TonyT

Oh I give up, damn!!! even when he does them to look bad.......they look good.....is there no end to your mastery.......dang Dean...is there anything you don't do good!!!!. Now you are delving into new ideas for presentation. though nothing will top that exploded view idea.

Edited by Angels49

Looks like the '104 over at Lasham.....

Well spotted...I didn't know it was at Lasham (or even that Lasham existed) but a couple of shots of this airframe turned up when I was trawling the internet for references for this project. The weathering on my example was inspired by several airframes, but this was certainly one of them.

Cheers,

Dean

Superb model from a kit thats a pile of poo. :goodjob: I didn't have the imagination to finish mine,once i reallised how crap it was.I just used it for airbrush practice.

It is a shame these wonderful jets are no longer in service.I remember being allowed to sit in the cockpit of a Luftwaffe example at Culdrose when i was a kid.Hopefully one day 'The Starfighters' display team will pay a visit to the UK with their 4 jets.I believe they're the only civil display team with mach 2 jets in the world.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 years later...

Really nice. I love these abandoned planes.👍👍👍 They truly telling stories and we can dream of the glory days! Try to catch this in some dioramas too, like the Fw-190 and He-162. 

Cheers

Andy 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Aye, the Academy's kit is a drag!

The 23+25 sported the Luftwaffe camouflage until 1972 only, when it got the much nicer NORM 76. It entered service at MFG2 in July 1965, withdrawn from use in November 1981, and sold to Turkey in 1982, where it was in service until 1992. Full history on 916 Starfighter: KE+509 and 23+25.

Work still in progress... 😁 ... needs a lot of corrections as well.

index.php?rex_resize=500a__flugzeugwerft

Still a nice built, though!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1.02.2021 at 23:07, Whisky Papa said:

Tak, zestaw Akademii to opór!

23 + 25 nosił kamuflaż Luftwaffe tylko do 1972 roku, kiedy to otrzymał znacznie ładniejszy NORM 76. Do służby w MFG2 wszedł w lipcu 1965 roku, wycofany z użytku w listopadzie 1981 roku i sprzedany do Turcji w 1982 roku, gdzie służył do 1992. Pełna historia 916 Starfighter: KE + 509 i 23 + 25.

Prace wciąż trwają ... 😁... również wymagają wielu poprawek.

index.php? rex_resize = 500a__flugzeugwerft

Wciąż jednak ładnie zbudowany!

This is my Statfighter from Axademy

kit. 
104-EA291-BA74-456-E-B3-C4-374-D41814-D8

• Like 1