Lockheed Constellation

What would be considered as a pretty good kit of this lovely old airliner?

I see on the Hannants site they're selling Airfix, Revell and Heller. The Minicraft ones are all sold out, so I'm presuming they're considered the best ones?

Thinking of picking one up when I visit Hannants in September.

Cheers,

Nick

Well I have the Heller kit.

Its ok, pretty short on detail, but then it is a pretty old mould ( 20+ yrs). It does build up to an impressive model if you do enough sanding and puttying.

The Airfix is same mould as Heller.

Revell and Minicraft are 1/144.

HTH

Well I have the Heller kit.

Its ok, pretty short on detail, but then it is a pretty old mould ( 20+ yrs). It does build up to an impressive model if you do enough sanding and puttying.

The Airfix is same mould as Heller.

Revell and Minicraft are 1/144.

HTH

Thanks Kev.

Cheers,

Nick

Either really. How big is the 1/72nd?

I read a review on ARC on the Revell kit that was fairly glowing.

Cheers,

Nick

Have a look at http://www.modelingmadness.com/reviews/civil/mansconnie.htm for 2 Connies that I built.

Big, crude, inaccuarate, but the only Constellations that will be available in 1/72. And endless source of interest to older modellers and travellers, whenever they're taken to a model show.

Have a look at http://www.modelingmadness.com/reviews/civil/mansconnie.htm for 2 Connies that I built.

Big, crude, inaccuarate, but the only Constellations that will be available in 1/72. And endless source of interest to older modellers and travellers, whenever they're taken to a model show.

Thanks Tim,

Yes, I did come across those reviews earlier. Very nice. Love the TWA one.

Big old buggers though aren't they? 540mm wingspan? That's enormous.

Edited by dylan the rabbit

The Connie is perhaps the only civil aircraft that holds any interest for me, and I love it :D I've got 2 Heller kits 1049s & 1 749 in my stash, the latter bought when I couldn't get hold of the 1049. There's a very art deco feel about it, and that huge nose gear and banana fuselage just does it for me :wub:

There's a German company that do replacement engine cowlings, so when I come to build mine, I may just enquire. Someone also does an etch set, which includes plenty of interior detail if that's your bag ;)

The Connie is perhaps the only civil aircraft that holds any interest for me, and I love it :D I've got 2 Heller kits 1049s & 1 749 in my stash, the latter bought when I couldn't get hold of the 1049. There's a very art deco feel about it, and that huge nose gear and banana fuselage just does it for me :wub:

There's a German company that do replacement engine cowlings, so when I come to build mine, I may just enquire. Someone also does an etch set, which includes plenty of interior detail if that's your bag ;)

Me too. Along with Concorde, it's the the only other airliner I have any interest in. But there's just something so timeless about the Constellation. A styling from a bygone age when "style" really meant it.

Cheers Ant... I'd already spotted them, and had them mentally stored for when a Connie comes to the top of the ever-growing pile :blush:

Try www.aviationmegastore.com when I looked the other day, they had a few Connies in various sizes, plus resin bits :winkgrin: