Revell D.H Sea venom FAW.22

Hi

Well this is my first WIP thread of the revell sea venom so go easy haha. The kit looks pretty decent and very few small fiddly bits.

Its 1/32 scale so its a decent size and ill be doing it in the markings of XG693 of 894 NAS, FAA, HMS Albion, 1960.

I will post picces tonight when i find the camera lead but the build might be slow as im finishing of my first airbrushed model which is a canberra b(I)8.

I think the standard will be pretty low as im very new to airbrushing, washes e.t.c

Anyways

Cheers

It's an old kit, with its heritage in the now defunct Matchbox label. I believ the fit is a little iffy, but with some care you can build a reasonable replica. Not much in the way of fine detail, but I'm sure you'll learn a few things from the build.

Don't be afraid of asking the masses for assistance during the build, and be sure to post up plenty of progress pics :)

Cheers Mike :D

Heres a few pics of what you get. As im new to all this im just buliding the raw kit and no extras yet!

Sadly these were taken on a mobile phone so they will have to do for now but you get the general idea.

Box shot

Photo0052.jpg

Sprues (not many small pieces)

Photo0049.jpg

Canopy

Photo0050.jpg

Decals

Photo0051.jpg

Made some slight progress on the engine yesterday and will get some more of it done today

Cheers for now

Edited by XH668

Not a bad phone camera there :)

I don't know whether you're aware, but if you dip the transparencies in the floor polish Johnson's Klear, it makes them appear more clear & closer to scale. Those transparencies do look a little dull, and would probably benefit. You can pick up Klear from most large supermarkets, although there seems to be some rumours about its demise shortly.

Not a bad phone camera there :)

I don't know whether you're aware, but if you dip the transparencies in the floor polish Johnson's Klear, it makes them appear more clear & closer to scale. Those transparencies do look a little dull, and would probably benefit. You can pick up Klear from most large supermarkets, although there seems to be some rumours about its demise shortly.

Hi

I didnt know tho, looks like a trip to tesco is in store, thanks

Hi all

Well update 2 and abit later than i had hoped...the foots still not totaly better but ive mangaed to get a few bits done.

Ive got the engine compete as you can see and all i need to do is touch it up before it goes into the fuselage. The fit looks abit tight and this looks like it might take some time to do.

P4160389.jpg

P4160390.jpg

P4160391.jpg

Ive also painted the interior of the cockpit and the two fuselage halfs and pannels. Im just finishing off some of the detial and i shall hopefuly have it assembled tonight

P4160395.jpg

P4160392.jpg

P4160393.jpg

P4160394.jpg

Next step is to join everything up together and when i buy more primer i shall get the U/C e.t.c done

Cheers for now

Edited by XH668

Hi 668

Here's a pic of my in-progress bird - this is a kit I got some 25 years ago - the original Matchbox release. I'd started it when I was 14 and then it got shelved when I decided girls wouldn't like a nerdy modeller....

Anyhoo, I resurrected the kit last year and managed to get it this far. I closed up the engine bay as my original painting from years ago was rubbish. I repainted the cockpit (very tricky with the fuselage already glued together...). I've added some detail to the ejector seats (raised the sides near the pilots knees, shaved off the kit seat belts and scratched some new ones, added some detail like wires and 'lumps' to make the seat a bit more interesting - it's by no means accurate but looks better). I then painted and managed to use all the original kit decals except for the wingtip tank checquers - here I applied them but they were awful, so 2-3 coats of clear protected the decals and then I masked over the checks and touched them up via airbrush - it looks ok from a distance....

I'm not overly happy about the wing fold detail (er, read no detail...) and have been thinking of ways to dress it up a wee bit without risk of ruining the decals or paint too much. If I can't resolve it I may just put the wings on unfolded. I rescribed the panel lines on most of the airframe - fairly straight-forward as most of the panel lines are long and straight. Also I drooped the elevator in between the tails although I wasn't overly happy with the end result.

Next step is some subtle weathering, complete the seats, unmask and polish the canopy. And then maybe I'll start on the second kit I picked up off TradeMe (I must be a sadist...)

IMG_1257.jpg

Cheers from NZ

Rob

Right update 3 with piccies to come tomorrow.

Assembled the cockpit and got the two halfs of the forward fuselage joined the tricky bit was the engine and i had to take a bit of it to bits and build it in the fuselage as the two nozzles wouldn’t locate properly.

I did most of the construction yesterday with the tail plane and tip tanks and ive got the wings done today. Ive decided to paint the tip tanks separately as well as the part of the wing thats going to be raised then i will attach it at the end as its easier i feel. Also im going to to the nose cone/radome separately and attach it at the very end.

Tomorrows task is to attach the wings and fuselage panels and then tail plane then i think its off to the paint shop for the bulk of the painting.

Im just waiting on my order of primer then i can begin with the u/c, weapons etc in the week and get her primed.

Pics to come tomorrow of today’s update and hopefully the result of Sundays work

Cheers

• 4 months later...