Myasischev M50 ...Nuclear bomber

Thanks Shaun , likewise , wish I could have spent more time on the BM table , but I caught up with most folks over the day, even Paul as he was sloping off to get another burger, ( probably for Mike !!) and Karl as he was thinking of some way up onto the Sycamore that didn't involve breaking his neck for some close ups ........ :whistle:

Andy

Thanks chaps, glad there are others who like these 'exotics' as well . anything out of the ordinary I enjoy , the weirder the better!! If you can't find it then scratch it yourself ...( but be careful not to cause infection !!).

Brian it must have felt quite lonely perched up there waiting for the ladder, I can only imagine the forward view during landing ..... :analintruder:

If you notice during landing the rear gear tuouches down quite gently then the chutes are released causing the front gear to slam down hard....must have been a tough old set up !!

Zhukovski, where it was based during flight trials had a 300 foot wide and 17600 ft long runway (the worlds longest all paved ) and it's easy to see why with the M50 and 3M/M4 'Bison's charging up and down it !!

Zhukovski, where it was based during flight trials had a 300 foot wide and 17600 ft long runway (the worlds longest all paved ) and it's easy to see why with the M50 and 3M/M4 'Bison's charging up and down it !!

I'm surprised they didn't run out of fuel before getting to the end of it.....!!! :P:D

Keef

Amazing work!

That really is something to see.

Any chance of a 1/72nd B-58 parked next to it?

I was just thinking of the comparison thread. Although even at 1/72 it looks like you may need a small van to transport it.

Thanks again folks, really worth all the work when people appreciate it !

AV8 I don't have a 1/72nd B58 at the moment, (only a couple of the big Monogram beasts), will this do instead...

Against a 72nd Hasegawa F15E ( a big beast itself !!)

P1040422Medium.jpg

And against the Airfix 1/72nd Vulcan B2.....( the wing area is almost the same ... :yikes: ).

P1040420Medium.jpg

And here on our table at Cosford along side my MiG YE155 for scale......

P1040107Medium-1.jpg

Daniel the MiG is the old Fujimi 21 SMT, (one of my very early models )...

Andy

Edited by general melchett

Andy

This is just WAY cool man!! One of the most unusual and at the same time, amazing models to grace brit Modeler. I am really trying to keep myself from ordering one but at 340 USD I think I would end up in divorce court!!

Awesome work and the video was slick as well.

Mike

Thanks Mike , that means a lot, going to be hard to top originality wise , but I'll have a go :winkgrin:

It is very pricey, but the moment I heard it was coming out I just had to have one, the quality is quite amazing , by far Amodels best effort, ( but maybe not enough to lose your nuptials :analintruder: !!)..

Andy

Edited by general melchett

General Sir, up to your usual standards :worthy: after seeing your M50 on Sunday I tried to find AMT's Valkyrie. I wonder if Gerry Anderson was part of the M50's design team, awesome aircraft that wouldn't look out of place today.

Andy.

Sorry I didn't catch up with you on Sunday Andy, I've got a Valkyrie on the go at the moment and it should make a nice comparison , ( if I can find a table long enough to display them both !! :jump_fire: ).

I wonder if Gerry Anderson was part of the M50's design team,

LOL....... Gerry Anderson was mentioned an awful lot at the show ... :D

Thanks again folks, really worth all the work when people appreciate it !

AV8 I don't have a 1/72nd B58 at the moment, (only a couple of the big Monogram beasts), will this do instead...

Against a 72nd Hasegawa F15E ( a big beast itself !!)

P1040422Medium.jpg

And against the Airfix 1/72nd Vulcan B2.....( the wing area is almost the same ... :yikes: ).

P1040420Medium.jpg

And here on our table at Cosford along side my MiG YE155 for scale......

P1040107Medium-1.jpg

Daniel the MiG is the old Fujimi 21 SMT, (one of my very early models )...

Andy

That really is a very impressive display in the third pic Andy. You don't appreciate just how big this thing really is even in 1/72nd.... :yikes: Wasn't able to make it to the show myself I'm afraid. I was thinking last night in fact after seeing the initial photo's that if it had have made it into service, we might very possibly have seen one at RIAT at some point :D

Do you happen to know if the MiG-17 [looks like an F, but I can't quite make out the nose in the photo] that I see in the background, is the Hobbyboss or Smer/Airfix kit? Think I also recognise the OEZ Su-7(?) A pig of a kit to build, that one!

I believe the MiG 17 is the Hobbyboss kit, it's not one of mine so I'm not positive , ( Chris will put me right if it isn't :whistle: !!). The OEZ SU-7 is however and yes it is a pig, but very 'doable'...I managed to find a Czech PE set for it years ago that really enhances the kit, but it's been long out of production sadly !!

As for seeing it at RIAT, well in it's later M52 form it might well have made the early shows at Greenham Common .The runway there or come to think of it ,at Fairford might just have been able to handle it weight wise, not sure about stopping distance !!!....what a thought .. :analintruder:

I believe the MiG 17 is the Hobbyboss kit, it's not one of mine so I'm not positive , ( Chris will put me right if it isn't :whistle: !!). The OEZ SU-7 is however and yes it is a pig, but very 'doable'...I managed to find a Czech PE set for it years ago that really enhances the kit, but it's been long out of production sadly !!

As for seeing it at RIAT, well in it's later M52 form it might well have made the early shows at Greenham Common .The runway there or come to think of it ,at Fairford might just have been able to handle it weight wise, not sure about stopping distance !!!....what a thought .. :analintruder:

The take-off run must have been something too, and I don't think it'd have been that hard to nose over on landing. That's a hell of a lot of overhang there :D

If you look at some of the feasibility and design studies the Russians have made over the years, a lot of them are very off the wall.

http://www.testpilot.ru/russia/myasishchev...mages/m50-1.jpg

http://www.testpilot.ru/russia/tupolev/125/images/125.jpg

I fully agree. That Su-7 takes a bit of care and attention but yes, very doable, but you need patience. Revell did a re-pop of it some years back, and latterly, Kopro. I saw one at the Salisbury IPMS show last year but neglected to pick it up (he only wanted a tenner)....could've kicked myself, seeing as my (built many years ago) copy has long since been trashed, and Hannants are asking nearly £30 for the Kopro version. Odd mindset OEZ had though. They give you the option to build the Su-7BM or BKL, but modelling the former meant having to remove the moulded bulged wheel bays, and one slip invariably resulted in lots of fixing. The plastic wasn't the most workable either. Quite soft, easy to scratch, a bugger to smooth and with an odd dimpled effect to round it all off........ :wall:

Edited by Veltro

Veltro, I think in fairness it would have been pretty well impossible to nose over as most of the weight is carried behind the nose gear though I agree there is a lot of overhang there , similar to the XB-70 which would have made taxying and ground handling very interesting to say the least !!!!

If you want to see weird and wonderful how about this, almost as big as the M50, (and yes it is in my future scratch build plans ...).

Cheers,

Andy

Myasischev M20-09-03

indexphp-1.jpg

indennxphp.jpg

Another projected version of the M50,

indccddexphp.jpg