New Hobby Boss Lynx HAS.3 kit-Missing Parts!

tonyot

Hiya Folks,

Well after waiting a while and looking at the `all singing and dancing' internet images the new Hobby Boss 1/72nd scale Lynx kits are with us and I bought mine at the weekend............................ but there are a number of faults and unexplainable missing parts...please read on!

Here are the problems I`ve found;

1- Even though decals are provided for a current `Black Cats' display team Lynx HAS.3 the kit only includes the old style straight rotor blades and there are no BERP blades included, which have canted tips fitted, ...despite these being featured on the box art and being included in the other `Super Lynx' boxing available from Hobby Boss?

2-Although most of the Orange Crop ECM kit is included in the kit, the wheel sponsons (parts C5 and C6) can only be used if you are building a none Orange Crop fitted HAS.1 version........as these don`t have the ECM boxes moulded into them....yet the correct parts are provided in the `Super Lynx' kit and they again feature on the box art too?

3- The side windows for the cockpit are missing the characteristic bulge ...yet the correct parts are again provided in the Super Lynx kit?

4- Even though Sea Skua missile and modern torpedoes (cannot emember their Type number...sorry?) are included on the painting guide and decals appear for them on the sheet.....neither are provided in the kit..but guess what...they are provided with the `Super Lynx' version. I believe the Sea Skuas etc are on the same sprue as the BERP blades too....and just in case you are thinking that they forgot to add this sprue to the HAS.3 kit....there are no BERP blades or Sea Skuas etc mentioned in the instructions for this version either!

5- The cabin seats provided can only be used for the Army version or some foreign navies as the Royal Navy Lynx is fitted with a one piece inflatable style seat....the kit seats look like those provided in the original old Airfix Lynx kit.

6- Although optional flat parts are provided for the instrument panel and central console....no decals are provided for them?

7- Even if BERP blades are fitted from the Airfix kit...don`t forget to add the tail rotor from the kit too..as it turns the opposite way!

I`m sorry to have to write this as I was looking forward to a new Lynx and apart from some over deep rivets, which can be easily filled.....the kit otherwise looks very good...what a missed opportunity!

All the best

Tony O

I bought this kit and I too am a bit upset with it contents. I intend to cross kit it with a scrapped Airfix kit to help correct it but I noticed that the weapons carriers are wrong and so an old Airwaves sets and some spare Swordfish torpedos will be used.

But with all this it still looks a nice kit to make.

This is diconcerting indeed as I want to do a "Black Cats" Lynx as well. Is the trick here to get the "Super Lynx" kit you refer to in your post and get the Model Alliance decals for the scheme, or will you need parts from both kits to get one good model? Is it the 87238 Royal Navy "Super Lynx" boxing to which you are refering? How about using the German Mk. 88 or Danish Mk. 90 kits? Will one of these boxes have all the parts or will it require cross-kitting? Geez, that is annoying! - Jack

This is diconcerting indeed as I want to do a "Black Cats" Lynx as well. Is the trick here to get the "Super Lynx" kit you refer to in your post and get the Model Alliance decals for the scheme, or will you need parts from both kits to get one good model? Is it the 87238 Royal Navy "Super Lynx" boxing to which you are refering? How about using the German Mk. 88 or Danish Mk. 90 kits? Will one of these boxes have all the parts or will it require cross-kitting? Geez, that is annoying! - Jack

You would have to buy both kits as the Super Lynx kit only includes the Super Lynx nose...and this version is not used by the RN!!!...That would mean at least £22 for a single half decent 1/72nd Lynx.....no thanks! I`ve written to Hobby Boss stating my findings and asking for the missing parts but I can see I`m going to have to cross kit with an Airfix kit instead!

Cheers

Tony O

Hiya Folks,

Well after waiting a while and looking at the `all singing and dancing' internet images the new Hobby Boss 1/72nd scale Lynx kits are with us and I bought mine at the weekend............................ but there are a number of faults and unexplainable missing parts...please read on!

Here are the problems I`ve found;

1- Even though decals are provided for a current `Black Cats' display team Lynx HAS.3 the kit only includes the old style straight rotor blades and there are no BERP blades included, which have canted tips fitted, ...despite these being featured on the box art and being included in the other `Super Lynx' boxing available from Hobby Boss?

2-Although most of the Orange Crop ECM kit is included in the kit, the wheel sponsons (parts C5 and C6) can only be used if you are building a none Orange Crop fitted HAS.1 version........as these don`t have the ECM boxes moulded into them....yet the correct parts are provided in the `Super Lynx' kit and they again feature on the box art too?

3- The side windows for the cockpit are missing the characteristic bulge ...yet the correct parts are again provided in the Super Lynx kit?

4- Even though Sea Skua missile and modern torpedoes (cannot emember their Type number...sorry?) are included on the painting guide and decals appear for them on the sheet.....neither are provided in the kit..but guess what...they are provided with the `Super Lynx' version. I believe the Sea Skuas etc are on the same sprue as the BERP blades too....and just in case you are thinking that they forgot to add this sprue to the HAS.3 kit....there are no BERP blades or Sea Skuas etc mentioned in the instructions for this version either!

5- The cabin seats provided can only be used for the Army version or some foreign navies as the Royal Navy Lynx is fitted with a one piece inflatable style seat....the kit seats look like those provided in the original old Airfix Lynx kit.

6- Although optional flat parts are provided for the instrument panel and central console....no decals are provided for them?

7- Even if BERP blades are fitted from the Airfix kit...don`t forget to add the tail rotor from the kit too..as it turns the opposite way!

I`m sorry to have to write this as I was looking forward to a new Lynx and apart from some over deep rivets, which can be easily filled.....the kit otherwise looks very good...what a missed opportunity!

All the best

Tony O

Tony,

I have not seen the new Hobbyboss Lynx kits yet so cannot comment in detail but I would caution that whilst a current HAS3 should have BERP tipped main rotors they should use what is known as the original tail rotor as per the HAS2 variant. It is the HMA8's which use the "reverse tail rotor" which rotates anti-clockwise when wiewed from the port side of the a/c. Can you clarify which way the Hobbyboss HAS3 kit's tail rotor rotates. If it is shown rotating clockwise this will be correct for the HAS2 and early HAS3 and most early export a/c with thenon-BERP blades but if anti-clockwise it will be wrong. The ommisions from the model sound a great shame but your post implies that the Super Lynx kit is much better for a current a/c, what type of intakes does it include though? Are they the same as the HAS3 kit with intake guards or a plain side inlet, if so this is really an export a/c of the 300 series applicable to Malaysia, Oman, Thailand or South Africa.

Regards

Dave

I got the Super Lynx (HMA8) kit today and it does not have the Sea Sukas either, although they are shown on the box art. From the instructions over at Hobby Search, I believe only the German Mk.88 kit has the missiles.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10083623

The Super Lynx just has two types of torpedos, although you do get painting instructions for the missiles. Also, no bulged windows in this kit either and although it does have the later rear gear farings with the squared off ends for the ESM, they are inferior in detail to the original gear fairings still in the kit. On the original fairings, they used a slide mold to make nice tie-down ring detail on the side of the fairing. On the later fairings, they just used a conventional top/bottom mold, so there is no tie-down ring detail on the side, plus there is no actual ESM detail, just a flat area on the rear of the fairing. The kit also lacks the large cylindrical fairing under the front of the tailboom for the IRCM disco light.

The Mk.88 kit might be better to cross pollinate with the HAS.3 kit for the blades, later gear fairings, and Sea Suka. HTH.

What a complete cluster f*** ! I certainly will be giving these a miss .I wasn't impressed with the original photos of the completed model and from the amount of crosskitting needed with these it is not worth the effort or cash .I will wait until another Lynx appears plastic or diecast or keep using the Airfix.

Well that's rather a disappointment!

Not all that surprising though, the same thing happened with the recent Mi-8 Hip kits, one version was accurate, the other just borrowed parts and wasn't (and included a nasty mistake in the instructions to put the tail onto the wrong side...)

I'm not too concerned over the missiles as I usually leave ordinance off my builds.

If you crosskit to get an accurate HAS.3, can the leftovers make up a 2nd Lynx type? At least you get 2 builds then.

Was going to get this kit this week but now I think I won't bother if I need 2 kits to get 1!

Tony,

I have not seen the new Hobbyboss Lynx kits yet so cannot comment in detail but I would caution that whilst a current HAS3 should have BERP tipped main rotors they should use what is known as the original tail rotor as per the HAS2 variant. It is the HMA8's which use the "reverse tail rotor" which rotates anti-clockwise when wiewed from the port side of the a/c. Can you clarify which way the Hobbyboss HAS3 kit's tail rotor rotates. If it is shown rotating clockwise this will be correct for the HAS2 and early HAS3 and most early export a/c with thenon-BERP blades but if anti-clockwise it will be wrong. The ommisions from the model sound a great shame but your post implies that the Super Lynx kit is much better for a current a/c, what type of intakes does it include though? Are they the same as the HAS3 kit with intake guards or a plain side inlet, if so this is really an export a/c of the 300 series applicable to Malaysia, Oman, Thailand or South Africa.

Regards

Dave

Hello Dave,

Sorry about the gaff regarding the HMA.8 rotor...I wasn`t sure if it applied to HAS.3`s fitted with BERP Blades too...hence my cautiousness.....the Hobby Boss HAS.3 kit has tail rotors which turn anti clockwise...looking from the left. The HAS.3 kit also has the normal style intake, with a clear part to represent the mesh covering, but I did not look at this part of the German Super Lynx kit...which is the only other kit I`ve seen.

Cheers

Tony

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new to the forums so this is by way of getting started. I am an ex RN pilot & among other things flew the RN Lynx from 1986 to 1996. I also worked cloesly with Dutch & German Lunx in the same period. I am planning to build a 1/72 model of my Flight aircraft XZ723 as it was when I flew it 87/88. I was inspired when I saw the Hobby Boss kit at a recent model fair. So far I have bought over 7 seperate kits in order to try & het the right parts for just one model! The Hobby Boss model could potentially be quite good but they have completely botched up which sprues need to go in which boxes in order to make the correct models. I now have 3 versions of the Airfix kit including the current Mk8..I also have the mid 80s release mainly because that has a more correct set of decals. I now have 4 Hobby Boss Kits, The Mk3, Mk2, Mk 88 & Super Lynx. Between them all I should get the right bits but having spent over £70 this is turning out to be expensive. I will sit down a document the issues & post them here soon. Give me a shout if you need to come info in the meantime.

[Navy Lynx Helicopters

Some Info on Lynx Helicopters

Early models had straight metal rotor blades and a tail rotor that turns anti-clockwise when viewed from the left. In the last few years all the straight metal blades have been changed for BERP (paddle) composite rotor blades. Recent upgraded Lynx have a tail rotor that turns clockwise when viewed from the left (e.g RN Mk8). All Navy Lynx have had bulged door windows for over 20 years. All RN Lynx have used Skua missiles (including early versions used in Falklands war). Recent German etc versions also uses Skua. Royal Navy versions all fitted with Orange Crop ESM from approx 1984 onwards. These have 6 aerials including on the nose & aft face of sponsons. RN Lynx sometimes use a 4 man rubber seat rather than metal frame 6 man seat since around 1988. Early Lynx up to mid 80s had flotation bags on Sponsons but not on nose. The “4 bag” system came in around 1997. Normal Inst panels include a radar on left hand side. RN Lynx Colour schemes have changed. Initially 70s they were mid blue with white letters. In mid 80s they were dark sea grey with black letters, then late 80s/90s they were light grey with white letters and washed out roundels. I can suggest the website www.the-grey-lynx.com.

Table of Hobby Boss Lynx Sprues

A B1 B2 B3 C D E F G H J K

Lynx Model Fuselage Inst Panel 3 & 6 man Seat/

Torpedo BERP Composite Blades Metal Blade Mk2 Sponson Tail Rotor Skua Mk2 Nose StingRay reverse tail rotor/ ESM Sponson FLIR Nose Bulged Door Window Early Flat Door Window Glass

Mk2

Netherlands x x Need x x x Need x x

Mk3 RN x x Need x x Need x Need Need x x

Super

Mk8 x x x Need x x Need x x

German Mk88 x x x Need Need x Needs x x x x

2 1 1 2 1 1 3

Comments

Labelled as a Royal Navy HAS2. In fact it contains no RN decals or colour scheme. It is a Netherlands 14A. Later versions have BERP blades & all have bulged door windows. Needs Sprue B2 & H to complete.

Labelled as Royal Navy HAS3. It does not have BERP blades, Skua Missiles, ESM Sponsons, Bulged Door Windows. Needs Sprue B2, D, F, H

Labelled as Royal Navy Super Lynx (=Mk8). It does not have Skua Missiles or Bulged Door Windows. Needs Sprue D, H

Labelled as German Navy Mk 88. Although is more like Mk88A. In order to model Mk88 it needs Metal Blades, Mk2 nose, and Mk2 Sponsons. Needs Sprue B3,C & E.

In order to complete the 4 models kits I need 2 x B2, 1 x B3, 1 x C, 2 x D, 1 x E, 1 x F, 3 x H

Hope this helps other buyers. The Airfix Models do not have the ESM aerials or modified sponsons and have incorrect chin windows. I am hoping to make one or two models from the several kits I've had to buy! Chris

[ The Airfix Models do not have the ESM aerials or modified sponsons and have incorrect chin windows.

The most recent Airfix Mk8 kit comes with the Orange Crop antennae (including the nose one for a Mk3) and the modified sponsons on its new sprue, although they are a bit chunky for my taste.

You also need to add a bulge on the tail for the new tail rotor gearbox if it has the reversed direction blades. This comes in the newest Airfix kit, but doesn't fit particularly well.

The inflatable seat comes in the newest release as well along with the BERP blades.

All of the available kits are missing the new fairing across the top of the engines, (that I assume is part of the hot weather mod) and the vent behind it, although these are not applicable to all aircraft. Only the Fujimi and HobbyBoss ones have even attempted the wire FOD guards on the intakes.

Best option for all is to use the Airwaves resin and etched parts.

FMT

(Linky to my Lynx collection)

Edited by gengriz

Sorry...when I criticised the Airfix Kit I was referring to their HAS2/3 model which has good decals but no ESM aerials etc. The HMA8 Kit has an additional sprue as you point out & lots of useful decals! Your models look amazing. Where can I get hold of the Scout - Wasp conversion & the Sea King ASW to Sea King 4 mods?

Another bit of info re Lynx. The FOD guards protect the engine intakes which in turn prevent the turbine engines from injesting debris which might damage the compressor blades. However the guards would rapidly ice up in cold weather/rain/snow & had to be removed if flying in preciptitaion below +3C. So quite normal for a/c to fly around in Falklands/ Norway etc with FOD guards removed...less likely in the UK. Also all the models I see with Skua seem to have 4 fitted. Lots of the Lynx PR shots are from static displays at airshows. If I remember correctly the HAS2/3 AUW was a problem with 4 missiles unless you flew with very little fuel. 2 Skua would be a more realistic load I believe. Chris

• 2 months later...

Pavla to the rescue at a price!

Blades

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=PAVU72110

Cockpit and cabin set

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=PAVC7284

Seats

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=PAVS7252

Late sponson and wheels update set

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=PAVU72109

Early sponson and wheels update set

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=PAVU72107

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

The RN Lynx model looks like a Mk3 with "normal" sea spray radar nose, orange crop etc. Does this mean Corgi will provide alternative parts with the planned Manchester Flt Mk8?? Chris

The RN Lynx model looks like a Mk3 with "normal" sea spray radar nose, orange crop etc. Does this mean Corgi will provide alternative parts with the planned Manchester Flt Mk8?? Chris

No the HAS.2 and 3 will follow later along with an AH.1,AH.7 with the exhaust shrouds and hopefuly NI fit plus other variants, the models coming shortly will have the full ECM fit not as shown on the pre-pros .The Mk.8 coming out is the cab as it was when it visited NI two years ago this week.Corgi have been working with Westlands directly with this model. If I can when the first metal castings are produced I will post pics of them ifI get permission.There may well be a very interesting RN helo model being announced in the next couple of weeks.

Both those Corgi resin repros are apalling! I don't even know where to start with the list of inaccuracies! If anyone really wants to know I'll list them later. I just hope they square it away before they release the diecasts. The HMA8 can only carry a max of 3 Sea Skua and the HAS3 could carry up to 4, you can't have a mixed load of a Sea Skua and a Stingray torpedos. Any photos of this mixed load would be for static display only! The correct term for the FOD guards are Debris guards and Lynx also have Snow guards now which have a grill rather than a mesh at the top and rear part of the guard to allow air to get in if ice or snow is accreted on the mesh at the front of the guard.

Both those Corgi resin repros are apalling! I don't even know where to start with the list of inaccuracies! If anyone really wants to know I'll list them later. I just hope they square it away before they release the diecasts. The HMA8 can only carry a max of 3 Sea Skua and the HAS3 could carry up to 4, you can't have a mixed load of a Sea Skua and a Stingray torpedos. Any photos of this mixed load would be for static display only! The correct term for the FOD guards are Debris guards and Lynx also have Snow guards now which have a grill rather than a mesh at the top and rear part of the guard to allow air to get in if ice or snow is accreted on the mesh at the front of the guard.

The pre-pros are a mix of all the parts for the models that are being made,none are of the models as being produced these are a parts trial .The Mk.8 will have 2 Sea Skua ,the roof mounted sight is for the Mk.7 and the sponson will not be on the Mk.7 neither will the Orange Crop fittings,the interior seats will be correct and the RN versions should have the inflateable seat in place.

• 12 years later...

Man, a little LATE to this conversation!

I too am building a couple of Lynxes, one Royal Marines AH.7 and one French Navy Mk.2/4 (FN).

I started with the Airfix AH.1 kit and ended up buying a Mk.8 for the BERP blades and newer tail rotor to update it to a Mk.7.

I just bought replacement parts from Hobby Boss for the correct "foot" windows and intake covers (which I will cut-out the screens and place some fine tea bags (it's an American thing!) over them) for realism.

So after buying a NeOmega Lynx set for the engine mods to see if it fits on the Airfix kit (it doesn't!), I'll have to make a few resin copies and modify them to work on both kits!

Now, that just leaves buying ANOTHER Mk.8 kit for the BERP blades and tail rotor, plus some Pavla export seats, French sponsors, AirGraphics AH.7 weapons, the correct MRP paints, and MAYBE a Pavla interior!  With the additional Berna decals I purchased, this has become a VERY expensive pair of models but you should see the plans I have for my French Army and Royal Marines Gazelles!

Oh well, C'est La Vie!

WARDOG