Mil-8 "Hip" Boscombe Down

Well after finishing my F-15E i was asked to build his 1/35 Trumpeter Mil-8. This is my first ever commission build and it was strange, probably more so that i was building for somebody else; so at times the enthusiasm wasn't there. Either way its finished 6weeks 6 days. This is my first Trumpeter kit and it thought it looked good in the box. Etched detail, but the mouldings had loads of sink marks, which i was quite annoyed at. The kit cost £48, so if i'd bought it i wouldn't be impressed. The kit went together fairly well, although i had issues with the windows popping out. I used PVA glue, but the windows are at the natural holding point. The canopy glass was wider than what the fuselage is so some carefull sanding was required, as there was a lot of detail could be lost. The kit has been modified to suit and its "quite accurate". There are now loads of photos on the internerd if you search hard enough.....

IMG_6903.jpg

IMG_6904.jpg

IMG_6905.jpg

IMG_6906.jpg

IMG_6907.jpg

IMG_6908.jpg

IMG_6909.jpg

IMG_6915.jpg

IMG_6916.jpg

Edited by speedy
  • Like 7

Cool build! :speak_cool: but I know how you feel about commission builds. I have five on the go at the moment for one chap. It gets in the way of what you want to do dosn't it? Still it helps keep the old TR7 on the road in my case.

Martin

Edited by martin hale

Lovely job speedy - didn't you build the 1/72 version that was on the Salisbury stand (SMW??)

If so be good to see the 2 side by side to illustrate the size...

cheers

Rick

Ow do Speedy,

Nice to see you back to your usual Rasberry Ripple :worthy: Considering the nightmares youve had its turned out rather well.

Bex

Lovely job speedy - didn't you build the 1/72 version that was on the Salisbury stand (SMW??)

If so be good to see the 2 side by side to illustrate the size...

cheers

Rick

Yup that was me too!. The decals are all home made.

Great Boscombe Hip.It's amazing how many 'imaginary' aircraft have appeared at Boscombe Down over the years. :goodjob:

• 2 months later...
Well chuffed.

And so you should be Steve, any chance of a piccy once youve got it on ya wall?

Bexy

That Hip's a corker.

Why would Boscombe want a Hip methinks??

The Lightning pic is a beauty.You could do with Ian "Blackie"Black signing it for you.

He was the last pilot to RAF pilot to convert to the Lightning.

Mark

• 1 year later...

The Hip at Boscombe is a bit of an open secret. Air Forces Monthly did a feature about it 12 to 18 months ago. The aircraft is ex Bulgarian AF and is being used to train Afghan Air Force personnel how to fly and operate the type.

• Like 1

Cannot see the photos they have been deleted or moved

There we go folks, photo's revived. I'd had a sort out and put them all into folders.

Steve.