Wingnut Wings

Phil

I'm not sure if these have been seen here yet:

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/

Wingnut is Peter Jackson's company. These kits are from New Zealand, reading the blurb about them I think Wingnut have done all the design work and the manufacturing itself has been outsourced to a factory in China ( I doubt there are any injection moulding facilities that would be suitable in NZ).

If the quality of the instructions is anything to go by they should be pretty good!

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/www/product...SE.5a_Hisso.pdf

Richard Alexander, a well known NZ modeller is listed as the project co-ordinator on the team that has developed these kits.

Just had a look at the link, my god they look good. I want them all - well, maybe not the Gotha, I do have some sense of reality left. The Junkers J1 and the F2B are definitely on though, and the RE8 when it comes out. :elephant:

32nd scale is not my usual choice but I have to say these new kits are amazing. I'm 54 and have building models for as long as I can remember and have never seen anything as good as this. When I saw the link I spent 2 hours drooling over the website. These are the first kits I've seen which capture the look and feeling and character of WW1 aeroplanes. The SE5a with 2 fuselage options 1 with wrinkled fabric effect just blew me away. These are a quantum leap beyond Roden and Special Hobby kits.

Those are stunning! I'm not usually a WWI builder, but if I can get my hands on one of those kits I'll be one happy bunny.

The built examples on the website are impressive and show off the detail nicely. This is the bristol fighter, check out the stiching and gun mount ...

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/www/product...un%20detail.jpg

Other manufacturers should look and learn from their website. They have provided a means to buy the kits directly, online instructions, walkaround photos of the real thing, archive photos, model photos, hints and tips. The whole deal really. I'm really impressed.

Edited by Ant

i'd be quite happy to change my genre of modelling to have a go at some of these simply stunning

it just shows what can be done with im plastic these days

Was going to post about these myself... not my usual scale but I think the WWI subjects do so much better in the larger scales. The prices seem very reasonable considering the obvious care taken, the instructions and info on the site is very droolworthy.

Very classy site.

Free postage too!

The upcoming Gotha would look amazing if you have the skill to carry it off (I know I don't!) one of the kits I'd be happy to stash away until I could do it justice.

Well of course they look good - they're from New Zealand! - as my Kiwi wife often says!

Seriously - these look lovely. WW1 isnt often my cup of tea, but if they build as well as they look, then I am very very tempted. What with this, and Mr Broadbent's new Pheon decal line - things seem to be on the up for you' wind in the wires' types :)

That SE5a looks nice - after seeing the recent Timewatch Aces Falling program I think I might have to give one a try!

Jonners

Aaaargh I know I shouldn't but I had to order something :blush:

I have a soft spot for anything Junkers, so went for a J.1, and best of all no rigging! :worthy:

Some of the later releases look tempting as well, colourful... the big challenge is avoiding that Gotha :frantic: I'm guessing the cost will be high enough to keep me at bay, what an impressive sight that would make for any display table.

Nice one. Please post up details of how long it takes to get to you and some sprue shots when it arrives. If no-one has ordered me one for my birthday, I'll be ordering the Bristol Fighter from them next month.

I know how you feel Stebos I just ordered the F.2b, just don't tell the wife :evil_laugh:

Mind you after seeing the sprue shots I couldn't resist, The level of detail is what you've come to expect from anything that comes from the Peter Jacksons stable of companies.

Hyperscale has an in box review of the LVG C.VI by James Fahey. http://www.hyperscale.com/2009/reviews/kit...2reviewjf_1.htm

These kits are fantastic, not my era or scale but I'm extremely impressed.

Paul Harrison

I followed a link to the website l;ast week, and instantly fell in love with them. WW1 really isn't my area, yet I've always wanted a large LVG CVI - my wife has just ordered one for my birthday next month. She made me promise to build it, not hoard it........

Cheers,

Bill.

My only real concern is how 'limited edition' they are... the price point is such that for many (including myself) we can only pick carefully and hope they're still around long enough to get another kit in future months.

It seems a real shame if the initial batch at least can't be bought in a years time.

Oh that's just great!! Just when I've told SWMBO I wouldn't get any new kits for a while! Although...what is the legal definition of 'a while'.

That SE5a is so going to be mine, I have to have it! Must...try...and..resist ...until...next...month!

Seriously though, massive plaudits to Peter Jackson and his team, this hasn't just raised the bar, it's created a whole new one to be measured by. If he ever starts on Spitfires and/or Hurricanes, I've had it.

Judging from early reports the rigging should be a breeze on these. Pre-drilled holes and brackets provided... in theory it should be as simple as just threading the wire in and fixing.