Luftwaffe day fighter colors 1943

Mike

I know nothing about "standard" Luftwaffe colors, and need a little help deciding on what color to paint my captured Spit. If someone could give me some examples of typical schemes from the period of early 1943, possibly very late 1942, it might make sense of the conflicting info I've been given by the conversion kit suppliers, and the internet articles on the subject.

Any help appreciated, and please remember to type slowly for my benefit. :fool:

I know nothing about "standard" Luftwaffe colors, and need a little help deciding on what color to paint my captured Spit. If someone could give me some examples of typical schemes from the period of early 1943, possibly very late 1942, it might make sense of the conflicting info I've been given by the conversion kit suppliers, and the internet articles on the subject.

I've a vague recollection of a dark green over yellow scheme. Dunkelgrun 71 over Gelb 04 or 27, I'd imagine. If you wanted to go for a standard fighter scheme, then you'd probably be looking at the fighter/Zerstorer scheme of greys 74 and 75 over 76.

Joseph

Edited by JosephLalor

It should be green/yellow. I will get back to you in a day or two with further info.

Phil

That's interesting Joseph, thanks... one of the schemes includes 74/75 but also chucks in Black Green (RLM 70) to confuse me. It's difficult to tell quite where they're telling me to put the 70, but I've a sneaking suspicion that's just for the prop. Does that sound right?

If I'm right and you're referring to the Spitfire Vb with the Merlin replaced by a DB605, you're best off doing the green & yellow one, which is what it seems to have been photographed wearing the most often. In which case it's RLM70 Schwartzgrun uppers and RLM 04 Gelb underneath.

However, could I tempt you to the dark side with standard fighter colours (74/75 over 76) and Luftwaffe squadron codes on the side? :evil_laugh:

That's interesting Joseph, thanks... one of the schemes includes 74/75 but also chucks in Black Green (RLM 70) to confuse me. It's difficult to tell quite where they're telling me to put the 70, but I've a sneaking suspicion that's just for the prop. Does that sound right?

Looks as though I've been trumped by The Wooksta, but if you're doing the DB605 conversion, then I should think it would have a VDM propeller, which would be finished in 70.

Joseph

Where have you seen pics of the Frankenspit with anything but a two-tone camo on top???? AFAIK there are only a few 'walk-around' type photos (maybe three or four) of that airplane at all, or at least that I've ever seen published. In those with decent reproduction quality, you can clearly see what appears to be standard Luftwaffe 1942/43 RLM 74/75 upper surface camo, probably with a yellow belly.

If someone has seen pics of it with what can be positively identified as a single upper surface color, I'd be most interested in knowing where they were published.

J

Where have you seen pics of the Frankenspit with anything but a two-tone camo on top???? AFAIK there are only a few 'walk-around' type photos (maybe three or four) of that airplane at all, or at least that I've ever seen published. In those with decent reproduction quality, you can clearly see what appears to be standard Luftwaffe 1942/43 RLM 74/75 upper surface camo, probably with a yellow belly.

If someone has seen pics of it with what can be positively identified as a single upper surface color, I'd be most interested in knowing where they were published.

J

Got me wondering now. It might be that I was thinking of the unmodified Spitfire PRXI with callsign T9+TK. Looking at the few photos I've managed to find, the upper surface of the modified Spitfire MkV looks a bit lighter than I would expect if it was in 70. It would make an attractive model in 74 and 75, with 04 undersurfaces, cowling, rudder and elevators.

Joseph

Thanks for the replies chaps... Jennings, I think the single color was a generalisation, not in direct reference to the Frankenspit. I feel happier about the scheme now... thanks folks :)