1:32 Junkers Ju-52 - Spanish Civil War Bomber

Iain Ogilvie

Been poorly last week, or two - so not a lot of progress - but...

I have amassed some suitably sized brass sections to make up the internal structure so now a case of making four cross section 'blanks' to form the brass around then out with the solder paste and torch...

These will then be joined lengthways with brass 'longerons' and be anchored into the plastic floor. Should be pretty strong.

Hoping that by doing it this way I'll be able to create a suitable structural effect inside the fuselage, straighten the bowed in fuselage sides and provide a solid base for the window panels and roof section.

Piccies when I've made a start.

Iain

Never seen this one before Iain! How many do you have on the go? LOL Just had a quick flick through and it looks impressive!!

Erm - too many - but I like to dip in and out of the large projects.

Main focus is on finishing my 109-F2 and making progress on the Heinkel He 111.

Nice to know you're returning to this one Iain. How about the EC-121 as well?

Yup - she'll get some love in the near future as I've also now got all the brass tube I need to solder up some landing gear legs (I know - a bit random - but need a change from cutting/sanding/filling large chunks of plastic :)

Also need to get the engine back together and on my Ducati 851 this weekend - but that's another story!

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Also need to get the engine back together and on my Ducati 851 this weekend - but that's another story!

Sod the models, get on with the Duke Iain, not seen an 851 for years! :D

Care to share a couple photos of that one?

Sod the models, get on with the Duke Iain, not seen an 851 for years! :D

Care to share a couple photos of that one?

Neither have I - she's been lurking in a far corner of one of the garages awaiting 'open wallet' surgery - turns out to have been a relatively simple fix (I think!) :)

1129589266_3c54725231.jpg

You'll know when I get her fired up again - you'll probably hear her! :o

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)
  • Like 1

Ooh that's proper lovely Iain! Good mate of mine used to have a 888 SP4 that I'd 'look after' when he was away 'til the bloody idiot traded it for a GSXR 750 when the first of the new-style water-cooled ones came out :o Used to eat electrics at a rate of once every three weeks, which was always under warranty but still a PITA, 'til we changed the alternator. About the same time I was learning to fly and can recall damned near shitting myself when I noticed the Rotax-engined machine I'd just been up in used Ducati electrical components :huh:

Oops, there's that thread derailled, so how's the Ju-52 coming along...

Ooh that's proper lovely Iain! Good mate of mine used to have a 888 SP4 that I'd 'look after' when he was away 'til the bloody idiot traded it for a GSXR 750 when the first of the new-style water-cooled ones came out :o Used to eat electrics at a rate of once every three weeks, which was always under warranty but still a PITA, 'til we changed the alternator. About the same time I was learning to fly and can recall damned near shitting myself when I noticed the Rotax-engined machine I'd just been up in used Ducati electrical components :huh:

Oops, there's that thread derailled, so how's the Ju-52 coming along...

cannot help but laugh at this one, funny stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
Ooh that's proper lovely Iain! Good mate of mine used to have a 888 SP4 that I'd 'look after' when he was away 'til the bloody idiot traded it for a GSXR 750 when the first of the new-style water-cooled ones came out :o

A mate of mine had an 851 SP3 but traded it in on an R1. You might think it was a dumb idea but the fact was the clutch was pretty brutal and he already had carpel tunnel syndrome so it was painful for him to ride. He actually sold the Ducati to Australian actor Eric Bana.

You could hear him several kilometres away when he did ride it though!

Now back to the Tante Ju...

Edited by J.D.

• 2 years later...

It's been too long - but suitably inspired I'm picking this one up again - see how much more I can do before Telford.

Got everything out - and missing a few things - but nothing I can't overcome...

Iain

• Like 1

OK - lots of progress (for once!):

Inner walls double skinned with corrugated plastic sheet and brass box section side rails added to straighten the sides:

IMG_1522.jpg

Start made on more bulkheads - rectangular 'blanks' of correct width made up - and one 'notched to fit around brass 'rails'. Later I'll shape to fit roof and cut out middles - so the form upturned 'U' shapes:

IMG_1523.jpg

New doors made/cut out to convert the fuselage to correct mark of Ju52:

IMG_1524.jpg

Wing roots boxed in with plastic sheet cut oversize - will be cut back and shaped to profile later:

IMG_1525.jpg

Wings loosely on - only a few minor tweaks need then fit's a good'un...

IMG_1526.jpg

All control surfaces now prepped and bonded together:

IMG_1527.jpg

Wheels assembled, spats assembled, cowl rings cut out and replacement canopy sourced from a spare Combat Models kit (hoping the original will turn up somewhere):

IMG_1528.jpg

Fuselage top - next stage gun mount opening:

IMG_1529.jpg

And reinforced internally with more corrugated styrene sheet:

IMG_1530.jpg

Back later (prolly with some other random project! ;) )

Iain

Thanks to a little sunshine I managed to get the last two exterior window sills replaced - so now back on models...

Thought someone might find my method of adding windows useful (you never know!)

Using a brilliant sheet of clear acrylic sheet (Bayer Vivac) = beautifully clear it comes with both sides of the sheet coated in a blue protective film:

IMG_1531.jpg

New panes are cut using the openings as a template:

IMG_1532.jpg

Once happy we have panes that fit - remove the protective film - and it's out with the black permanent marker - once around the outer edges of the clear pane and once around the window opening:

IMG_1533.jpg

Excuse the finger prints!

IMG_1534.jpg

All fitted nicely in place a fine brush is used to flow Plastic Weld into the joints from behind - pointing the brush sideways in towards the joint on the white plastic side (not the acrylic - marks easily!):

IMG_1535.jpg

And Bob's your Aunty:

IMG_1536.jpg

Panel loosely tacked in place - panes will be polished with Plastic Polish before masking again ready for paint:

IMG_1537.jpg

Right - back to the slog...

Iain

• Like 2

Your build is amazing! While it doesn't make vacform builds look simple, (we all know they're not shake 'n bake kits) it does show that there's nothing that can't be done with good planning. I've passed up a few 1/144 vacforms on eBay because I keep getting cold feet, I might take the plunge now. :)

Further progress...

Internal frames shaped to fit under fuselage top section and wing root areas cleaned up after boxing in:

IMG_1538.jpg

Starbord door and window section prepped and 'windows' removed for glazing

IMG_1539.jpg

Wing roots trued up and pretty good fit now!

IMG_1540.jpg

IMG_1541.jpg

IMG_1542.jpg

Iain

• 1 year later...

Not abandoned - just on one side whilst I focus on a few other projects - I find I have to dip in and out of the BiG projects.

That said - most of the donkey work is done now - may pick up again over Christmas...

Iain

• 4 weeks later...