1:32 Junkers Ju-52 - Spanish Civil War Bomber

Iain Ogilvie

Very impressive, Iain!

I'm working on a 1/48 scale civil floatplane conversion myself, which has its challenges. But that's far from the challenge as this 1/32 scale scratchbuilt model must be.

Nils

Thanks Vingtor - hopefully on a bit of a roll for a while - will see how much progress we can make today in between chores...

Blimp - if it hadn't been for the resin 'floor' there wouldn't be anything left of the bottom of the fuselage! Has provided an amazingly strong combination with the wing spars!

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

OK - bit more so far today...

Ends of spars capped off with more 60 thou plastic sheet - ensuring all square. Was tempted to internally brace with some triangulation - but don't think it will need it.

Inner wing sections cleaned up - joints cleaned up as much as possible at this stage - and sides trued up with the sanding bar.

Pix do the talking:

180small007.JPG

180small008.JPG

180small009.JPG

180small010.JPG

Bond wing inner sections next - then back to interior...

More news when there's more news! :analintruder:

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

OK - well - for some more news :P

I have mostly been fitting the inner wing sections. Sounds easy - but a pig of a job getting everything aligned and true...

Where the parts touched - a little plastic weld - then thick superglue - and finally a nice bead of Milliput all around the inside:

180small011.JPG

180small012.JPG

180small013.JPG

180small014.JPG

Should be pretty bomb-proof!

Next up the interior skins using the Plastruct corrugated sheet - the fuselage will, in effect, be double skinned. This is were the neat stuff starts to happen - although I have just noticed cockpit bulkhead is a little on the squif as they say...

Back soon!

Iain

Last post of today...

Was just about to go to bed - over an hour ago - and had another look at the front perspective.

My thoughts that the model was squiffy at the front proved to be more pronounced than I thought - and it was the cockpit bulkhead that was causing it (plus the mouldings a little unequal on each side of the fuselage.

Frustration kicked in and a lot of head scratching...

With some gentle persuasion, careful use of a scalpel - and some plastic weld to 'melt joints - I was able to partially remove the bulkhead. Enough to remove almost 3 mm from the bottom of the bulkhead on the Port Side using some sharp sprue cutters...

Careful re-assembly - and some trimming of the area of fuselage that goes over the top of the bulkhead behind the canopy - and all seems to be straight now.

As it's crucial this is as square as possible with the wing spars and fuselage base before I start adding further bulkheads and internals I had a think about where my set square was. Eureka moment - I have the flight protractor I use for flight planning (quite apt really!) and sitting the model on a flat surface I was able to sit the protractor in front of the fuselage for a quick Mk 1 'eyeballing' session. Looks a lot better and good to go methinks - not perfect in some places (top of the coaming) - but all fixable now :)

180small015.JPG

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

hi Iain , from what i can make out , only bombers had overpainted windows , probably in an attempt to hide the fact they were armed as such , germany was strictly forbidden to have them - both bomber and transports had gunners gondola's . they badly affected performance so were usually only fitted in combat areas . * clue - on the dedicated bomber variants the trailing aerial was moved further aft , to clear the bomb doors , offset to starboard and supported with two stays at the front of the gondola . the retractable aerials internal reel and i can only assume , main radio position and table/seat were also probably moved amidships as well - the original space allowed room for the front bomb cell winch . this was all neccesary to prevent hitting the aerial when the bombs were dropped ( ! ) that was something i didn't notice till it was to late when i built mine :undecided: - if you do a 'tranny version , just leave the windows alone . there'll be more choice with colour schemes to boot . infomation is very hard to get on the bomber variants . it was all 'Sehr geheime ' - strictly top secret details were heavily guarded . the only internal photo i've ever seen teasingly hides soo much . regards , Blimp .

Thanks Blimp - useful info! :thumbsup:

Was aware that the painted windows were bomber only - but not aware of the rest!

I have illustrations that contradict each other with regard to which windows were painted over on specific a/c - although it appears that the side window nearest front is universally unpainted.

In all the refs I have there's nothing that's clear - may have to go post on that Spanish Civil War forum and see if anyone has any watertight gen.

Want to start the interior skinning and the window sections - but can't until I piece this together...

Iain

OK - have a pretty good idea from photo's I've found that most seem to have first and third side windows on Port side unpainted - still nothing conclusive re. Starboard...

Iain

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Ok - work continues (pix over the weekend).

References dug out again and it appears that the Spanish Civil War bombers had the starboard crew entry door just behind the cockpit - so that needs adding (which means cutting the area out and making a new door).

Looking at internal structures and how to ensure that he sides of the fuselage cabins are perfectly straight - and have formulated a cunning plan which means a trip to a model shop in the morning to get some brass sections.

Made a start on the internal skinning and detail - again all will become clear. Canopy cut out and fits OK - a little tweaking needed. Just adding the under-wing light right now...

What I am a little stuck on is the windows still. Many of these were painted over on Spanish Civil War aircraft - but I'm having a hell of a job trying to identify particular windows on a particular aeroplane - don't suppose anyone knows of any clear pix??

Iain

Some pix:

re2005357.JPG

Hole in wing underside opened up for light. Here you can see the opening, the round glazing cut from flat sheet using a pin and the reflector - the latter a nose section from one of the missiles in Trumpeters Mig 29K kit - size is perfect! This has now been coated on the outside with Kleer and once dry will be sprayed Alclad Chrome followed by black - so that on the inside it should look like a mirrored surface.

re2005361.JPG

Cutting the clear disc with a pin...

re2005359.JPG

re2005360.JPG

Some of the refs - no shortage (but took a while to find them again!)

re2005358.JPG

Bulkhead next to the main door has been bonded in place now and a start made on the internal skinning panels with corrugated sheet plastic stock. The rectangular panels resting on the spars are the side window sections - as soon as I can confirm/decide which ones are to be glased we'll make some cuts :)

Laters...

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Working on wings this 'arvo:

re2005362.JPG

Light bonded in place and backed off with a circle of Milliput to ensure it doesn't go AWOL at some point in the future!

re2005363.JPG

And this is what she looks like from the outside. Black smudge is just the permanent marker that was used to edge the hole bleeding a little.

re2005366.JPG

Wings assembled - some resin magic to follow later.

re2005364.JPG

After some hacking of the spars the wings fit roughly in place. Some tweaking needed - but starting to look impressive! Wings will be prepped separately to fuselage and fitted after the interior done and fuselage back in one piece!

re2005365.JPG

And underneath...

More when there's more :)

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Last one for the evening...

Nacelle fronts and wing leading and trailing edges filled with polyeurethane casting resin - in three separate pours.

Initial clean up done and now being left to harden off.

re2005367.JPG

Calling it quits for tonight - maybe see a few of you at Coventry tomorrow :)

Iain

• 3 weeks later...

After some head scratching and pouring over photo's I think I've got the wings position on the roots sussed (lines up along top, not bottom) - so will box in over the weekend.

No excuses now - have to crack on with the interior.

Iain

Hi James,

There's a ridge formed by the cockpit bulkhead that extends to the rear of the 'smooth' area of skin behind the canopy. The corrugated fuselage top fits down nicely onto that - without the gaps you can see in the photos. So should just be a case of bonding in place and a watery smear of milliput into any small gap as it coincides with a panel line.

That's the plan anyway...

Biggest concern at present is getting the sides where the windows are nice and parallel - at the moment they bow in. Plan is to solder up a brass former/stringer framework inside the fuselage.

I think she'll look good parked next to a Revell He 111 :) (Wonderland told me 'next week' when I spoke to them this morning).

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)